welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of the Drug War: Mexico and the Cartels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
We've been declared mentally incompetent to stand trial.

YAY!

*Gets back on the short bus to Tijuana*
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK! I was right about the whole "buffer zone" idea, only it's the cartels that are making one:

http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-drug-cartels-recruiting-texas-children-173402030.html

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Texas law enforcement officials say several Mexican drug cartels are luring youngsters as young as 11 to work in their smuggling operations.Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, told Reuters the drug gangs have a chilling name for the young Texans lured into their operations. "They call them 'the expendables,'" he said.

McCraw said his investigators have evidence six Mexican drug gangs -- including the violent Zetas -- have "command and control centers" in Texas actively recruiting children for their operations, attracting them with what appears to be "easy money" for doing simple tasks. "Cartels would pay kids $50 just for them to move a vehicle from one position to another position, which allows the cartel to keep it under surveillance to see if law enforcement has it under surveillance," he said.

"Of course, once you're hooked up with them, there's consequences." McCraw said 25 minors have been arrested in one Texas border county alone in the past year for running drugs, acting as lookouts, or doing other work for organized Mexican drug gangs. The cartels are now fanning out, he said, and have operations in all major Texas cities. This month, "we made an arrest of a 12-year-old boy who was in a stolen pickup truck with 800 pounds of marijuana," he said. "So they do recruit our kids."

McCraw says the state of Texas is joining a program initiated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection called "Operation Detour," in which law enforcement officers meet with children and their parents in schools and at community centers to warn them about the dangers of what appears to be the easy money the Mexican drug gangs offer. Law enforcement officers say children are less likely to be suspects than adults, are easily manipulated by relatively small sums of money, and face less severe penalties than adults if arrested.

Last month, Texas officials released a report indicating Mexico-based drug gangs are intent on creating a "sanitary zone" on the U.S. side of the Rio Grande, and are "intimidating landowners" in south Texas into allowing them to use their property as "permanent bases" for drug smuggling activity.

Also 800 lbs. (about 360 kilos) of marijuana is a joke. That's not what the cartels are making their money off of, that was a test run or a decoy.

PDF of the report http://weareaustin.com/images/Multi_Media/weareaustin/nxd_media/dox/pdf/2011_09/Final%20Report-Texas%20Border%20Security.pdf

It's full of wonderful tidbits like this (bolding my own):
Quote:
About 75 miles from the Mexican border, Brooks County is not a border county but it contains the Falfurrias Border Patrol checkpoint. Smugglers constantly try to get around that checkpoint and evade local law enforcement. Illegal immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America, Pakistan, India, Africa, China and elsewhere turn up day and night. Rival gangs fight for valuable Brooks County territory to smuggle and also to steal oil from the oil fields and tap pipelines. Decaying human remains litter the landscape. The cost of autopsies and burials of illegal immigrants and the medical treatment of smuggling survivors drain the County’s meager budget.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Also 800 lbs. (about 360 kilos) of marijuana is a joke. That's not what the cartels are making their money off of, that was a test run or a decoy.

Unless my math fails me you are spectacularly wrong in your assumption here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, going off how much a gram cost about ten years ago my awful failure maths says that's about seven million dollars, australian dollars, ten years ago.

also, Michael: Yes, Anonymous! By the end, No, Anonymous! Maybe Anonymous?

What a weird bunch of dudes. WE AIM TO TAKE DOWN LAW ENFOREMENT OFFICIALS AIDING CRIMINAL CARTELS AND DESTROY PEDOPHILE RINGS WHEN WE'RE NOT MAKING 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS CRY! LAWWWWWL!
Him

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
yeah, going off how much a gram cost about ten years ago my awful failure maths says that's about seven million dollars, australian dollars, ten years ago.

also, Michael: Yes, Anonymous! By the end, No, Anonymous! Maybe Anonymous?

What a weird bunch of dudes. WE AIM TO TAKE DOWN LAW ENFOREMENT OFFICIALS AIDING CRIMINAL CARTELS AND DESTROY PEDOPHILE RINGS WHEN WE'RE NOT MAKING 14 YEAR OLD GIRLS CRY! LAWWWWWL!

Just like regular superheroes. I mean seriously Superman is a dick.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:

Its a touch over four million U.S. dollars going by Eugene prices...not that you could get eugene prices up here for the shwaggy shit that gets smuggled over the border.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

That's probably anywhere from $160,000 to $480,000 wholesale or less, depending upon quality. When you're buying in that kind of volume the price is only going to be a few hundred per pound.

Also I was calling the amount seized a joke. Sorry if that was unclear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

That's probably anywhere from $160,000 to $480,000 wholesale or less, depending upon quality. When you're buying in that kind of volume the price is only going to be a few hundred per pound.

Also I was calling the amount seized a joke. Sorry if that was unclear.

Based on what? Bulk discount or no, at your highest estimate there you have them selling 1 ounce at 37.50. That is cheaper than an eighth for an entire ounce. I'm interested in how you came up with those numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too -- WHAT ARE YOUR SOURCES??
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Based on what? Bulk discount or no, at your highest estimate there you have them selling 1 ounce at 37.50. That is cheaper than an eighth for an entire ounce. I'm interested in how you came up with those numbers.

Last time I talked to someone from Cali pot was $60 for an oz. or less. A person I know that used to live in key west said a bushel of pot (about 32 lbs.) went for $3,000.

Here in the North East, you shouldn't being paying more than $800 or so on a lb.

Just saying that prices can vary A LOT.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Last time I talked to someone from Cali pot was $60 for an oz. or less. A person I know that used to live in key west said a bushel of pot (about 32 lbs.) went for $3,000.

Here in the North East, you shouldn't being paying more than $800 or so on a lb.

I suspect that he said oz and meant eighth. An ounce in oregon is considered an insanely good deal at 200 bucks and its everywhere here and about half as much as it costs in texas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way in hell anyone in the US is finding bud for $60 an ounce in ounce increments.

That said, thanks to a conducive environment and a mass influx of BC hydros, good pot can be regularly had in WA for under $200/oz.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

I suspect that he said oz and meant eighth. An ounce in oregon is considered an insanely good deal at 200 bucks and its everywhere here and about half as much as it costs in texas.

Nope, an oz. Ask Thy, he's probably knowledgable about current Cali prices.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes play this game with myself where I judge who is winning or losing a Sinfest argument by skimming the posts really fast and mostly only reading the one or two liners in full.

With that in mind, this thread just made me laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: