welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why, That's Nice (The Charity Thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Nice stache and um... big long red thing that doesn't look anything like a bong....

... or wrapping paper?

Michael wins the prize! It IS wrapping paper!

Last edited by Mr Gary on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it for wrapping your bong?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahaha, no, for my wang, dear boy. For my wang.

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the other picture better.

Please send it to me wrapped in that lovely red wrapping paper.

andrew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm working on a nonprofit's site, and because the host is using the clunkiest, most dated stack I've ever had to manage (IIS 6, KILL ME NOW) we keep crashing PHP because something on the server isn't configured right. In typical fashion, the hosting company insists that this is something I'm doing and not on their end, and it must be the CMS we're using (it's not), and I'm about fed up with them, esp. since I could sign the nonprofit up for new hosting, configure everything, swap nameservers and have everything going in an hour (we've been troubleshooting for 8 days). 'cept the usual threat of leaving the company isn't going to inspire any action, because they're friends with the nonprofit's director and give them the account for free, and god dammit I just want to get the site to work so they can have it live for their big annual fundraising event in like a week.

These server problems also pushed the project timeframe into black friday / cyber monday territory, which does not gel with my day job at all. It's Friday and I've already worked 65 hours this week (yes, really) and I'm starting to realize I can't keep this pace like I used to. As an added bonus, the nonprofit has this really amazing but incredibly tragic mission that makes reading through their content a very fast route to depression.

tl;dr, I make websites and shit for charitable nonprofits and it often sucks terribly.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need an almost finished update Gary.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
So I'm working on a nonprofit's site, and because the host is using the clunkiest, most dated stack I've ever had to manage (IIS 6, KILL ME NOW) we keep crashing PHP because something on the server isn't configured right. In typical fashion, the hosting company insists that this is something I'm doing and not on their end, and it must be the CMS we're using (it's not), and I'm about fed up with them, esp. since I could sign the nonprofit up for new hosting, configure everything, swap nameservers and have everything going in an hour (we've been troubleshooting for 8 days). 'cept the usual threat of leaving the company isn't going to inspire any action, because they're friends with the nonprofit's director and give them the account for free, and god dammit I just want to get the site to work so they can have it live for their big annual fundraising event in like a week.

These server problems also pushed the project timeframe into black friday / cyber monday territory, which does not gel with my day job at all. It's Friday and I've already worked 65 hours this week (yes, really) and I'm starting to realize I can't keep this pace like I used to. As an added bonus, the nonprofit has this really amazing but incredibly tragic mission that makes reading through their content a very fast route to depression.

tl;dr, I make websites and shit for charitable nonprofits and it often sucks terribly.

if you're not expecting millions of hits I can help you out with the hosting...
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye go some free space on my hostgator site. Anyway never run PHP on IIS, it's destined to give you headaches at some point.

The permissions will screw you the most.
Halen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finally been paid, I'm all ready to donate, but am now constrained by waiting for my new debit card to arrive, having had it stolen on Friday. Sorry fella! Hang in there!
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hosting offers, but the whole friends-with-hosting-company thing is keeping them from taking any action. I pointed out that many (most?) US hosting companies will give free service to 501c3 orgs, and that if they'd let me set up a new dreamhost acct the site would be live in 2 hours, but...

Anyway, I finally got it fixed on Sunday by suggesting we "test" the server settings by bringing a new server up with the same tech stack and doing a fresh install. It works. So I clone the rest of the site, keeping everything I configured the same. It works. Repoint the domain. It works. I point this out to them, and they shrug their shoulders as though it must've been the mysterious power of Helukaza that made it work suddenly.

<headdesk>
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I am not doing movember or nothing (I'd end up with the shittiest wisp of pedo hair if I did) but I am SO TAPPED OUT. I need crappy ol' lcd computer monitors, used computers, and canned food, but everything's completely cashed over here and the emergency food banks are totally dry, HEY ANYONE GOT THAT KIND OF SHIT LYING AROUND
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's the end of Movember soon enough.

I last shaved my upper lip some minutes prior to midnight on October 31st.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know, right?

If you feel the world ought to be compensated for the hairy wrath I have wrought, perhaps you could donate a dollar or two to:

donate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, everyone knows the 'tache adds ten lbs. And two chins.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a cigarette and alcohol addiction.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, i ditched mine just before Thanksgiving. Last time I went to family gathering with facial hair I got a lot of shit, and I didn't feel like it this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: