welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Revolution!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
You guys do realize that the cheating ex thing is all a hoax, right?

Dont' really care. I just google image searched "steaming pile" and that's the pic I chose. I based my comment on zeezee's which I assumed was true. If not, then whatever, the girls not a cheating whore.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
it's just her cover story to draw attention to her steaming hot new backpiece?
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
No, you shut the fuck up. If she was REALLY embarrassed/ had issues with it she would be putting herself all over the net with it.

Men can be dirty cheating whores too btw, I'm not invoking any kind of gender bias. Also:

wiki wrote:
The English word whore derives from the Old English word hōra, from the proto-Germanic kohoron (prostitute), which derives from the proto-Indo-European root kā meaning "desire", a root which has also given us the Latin caritas (love, charity) and the French cher (dear, expensive). Use of the word whore is widely considered pejorative, especially in its modern slang form of ho'.

She obviously desired the company of someone who wasn't her boyfriend.

You are the worst. Just fucking look at this. I don't even care that it's a hoax. You don't go around spewing that misogynist shit and then dance around and smugly say 'but I'd call men dirty cheating whores too so it's okay DISREGARD ALL FORMS OF CONTEXT PATRIARCHY WHAT'S THAT? you see i'm using this obscure definition of whore and because i'm a special little flower i don't have to think about perpetuating negative attitudes like this everybody should be able to see i meant it in a gender neutral way and this means it's not a bad thing in any way

also i call my white and asian friends niggers too SO IT'S FINE GEEZ.'

Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Mizike wrote:
it's just her cover story to draw attention to her steaming hot new backpiece?

It's just a way that pieces of shit like Darq can froth at the mouth a bit about wimminz and their WHORISH ways

hey darq, where's this hate coming from? some tragic experience in your past? did a lady once touch you in your no-no place?

probably not because no woman would ever touch that disgusting little thing i mean damn
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
No, you shut the fuck up. If she was REALLY embarrassed/ had issues with it she would be putting herself all over the net with it.

Men can be dirty cheating whores too btw, I'm not invoking any kind of gender bias. Also:

wiki wrote:
The English word whore derives from the Old English word hōra, from the proto-Germanic kohoron (prostitute), which derives from the proto-Indo-European root kā meaning "desire", a root which has also given us the Latin caritas (love, charity) and the French cher (dear, expensive). Use of the word whore is widely considered pejorative, especially in its modern slang form of ho'.

She obviously desired the company of someone who wasn't her boyfriend.

You are the worst. Just fucking look at this. I don't even care that it's a hoax. You don't go around spewing that misogynist shit and then dance around and smugly say 'but I'd call men dirty cheating whores too so it's okay DISREGARD ALL FORMS OF CONTEXT PATRIARCHY WHAT'S THAT? you see i'm using this obscure definition of whore and because i'm a special little flower i don't have to think about perpetuating negative attitudes like this everybody should be able to see i meant it in a gender neutral way and this means it's not a bad thing in any way

also i call my white and asian friends niggers too SO IT'S FINE GEEZ.'

Really? I'm pretty sure I've regularly called men whores and sluts here, but that burden of proof lies with you my accuser. And yes, everyone should just use the word with gender neutrality. That's called being idealistic, but an uber-cynic like yourself might have a hard time wrapping their small mind around such concepts.

And I was referencing the etymology of the word not the definition. No wonder you're failing hard at history.

And there's no case specific hate per se, I just hate people who claim to have suffered something humiliating and embarrassing and then go and share it with the world. As I see it, if it was that traumatic and she is embarrassed by it then why is she sharing it with the world by posting photos of it? Also what she did was like a person complaining that they were fired for stealing from their job; I would call that person a dirty thief.

Also why do you call all your white and asian friends niggers? Seems odd to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
probably not because no woman would ever touch that disgusting little thing i mean damn

You're so right. Feel better?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he means is that, in the larger social context, whore is a word used to shame and denigrate women. When applied to men it carries a lot less negativity because of the social acceptance of male promiscuity as somehow natural or acceptable, where as women are supposed to be chaste. Thus, regardless of whether you use the term in an egalitarian fashion, it doesn't have an egalitarian meaning to the rest of society. It's simply a word to put women in their place.

See, you can't just decide how everyone gets to understand things. You can't tell women not to be offended when you call them whores, or black people not to be offended when you call them niggers, or rape victims to just get over it, or anything else because ours is a shared experience in which everyone brings a lifetime of experience through which your message gets filtered. Regardless of how you mean it, if you ignore the larger social contexts of historical denigration and suppression of women and minorities then you're either being inconsiderate, rude, uncompassionate... or you have a sense of naive realism and think the world is how you perceive it, without realizing the subjective nature of your experience.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dogen said and also you're an idiot, darq
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
What he means is that, in the larger social context, whore is a word used to shame and denigrate women. When applied to men it carries a lot less negativity because of the social acceptance of male promiscuity as somehow natural or acceptable, where as women are supposed to be chaste. Thus, regardless of whether you use the term in an egalitarian fashion, it doesn't have an egalitarian meaning to the rest of society. It's simply a word to put women in their place.

See, you can't just decide how everyone gets to understand things. You can't tell women not to be offended when you call them whores, or black people not to be offended when you call them niggers, or rape victims to just get over it, or anything else because ours is a shared experience in which everyone brings a lifetime of experience through which your message gets filtered. Regardless of how you mean it, if you ignore the larger social contexts of historical denigration and suppression of women and minorities then you're either being inconsiderate, rude, uncompassionate... or you have a sense of naive realism and think the world is how you perceive it, without realizing the subjective nature of your experience.

But this isn't the world, it's the Sinfest forums. I expect a higher level of intelligence and understanding here. Also I believe that if people regularly went around calling men whores and sluts then things would change. And you can't just say 'that's not going to happen'. It's only not going to happen if no one tries to change things. Lastly I think it's more realistic to aim at getting whore changed to a gender neutral term than trying to get people to stop using it in its current fashion. After all it's not the word that's the problem but our associations with it.

At least I didn't call her a slut. Now there is a REALLY misogynistic word.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know when you can start using 'whore' gender neutrally? When there's no more patriarchy or any type of discrimination against women. Until then, it's literally impossible and claiming that you can just means you don't even realise your own male privilege.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is the relevant distinction between "whore" and "slut"
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
But this isn't the world, it's the Sinfest forums. I expect a higher level of intelligence and understanding here. Also I believe that if people regularly went around calling men whores and sluts then things would change. And you can't just say 'that's not going to happen'. It's only not going to happen if no one tries to change things. Lastly I think it's more realistic to aim at getting whore changed to a gender neutral term than trying to get people to stop using it in its current fashion. After all it's not the word that's the problem but our associations with it.

At least I didn't call her a slut. Now there is a REALLY misogynistic word.

You are literally too stupid to get this, but:

It's not the word. It's not the associations. It's the context. When you're calling a woman a whore, it's different than calling a man a whore in the same way as calling a white person a nigger is different from calling a black person one. (And to answer the question in your previous post: yes, I have seen that excuse being used by racists before) Regardless of whether you make the association or not, it's there in the context. You cannot remove the negative effects of using that word, without changing said context - and thus destroying patriarchy.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. I almost posted this as an after thought, but was like, "you don't know he's going to say it," so I didn't.

Me, unwritten, wrote:
Just in case you were thinking this, you can't "take back the word." Men can't take back a word used by men to denigrate women, just like white people can't take back nigger and make it a happy, friendly word. It was already a male word, and when used by men it carries the negative and shameful context. Period.

I wish I'd posted that before, I'd be like, psychic or something.

EDIT: You know how you can change things? Stop using the word whore at all. Use other, more thoughtful words, that embody an understanding of the different experiences of men and women. Or, you know, pretend you're changing the word because you're too lazy/inconsiderate to change yourself.

EDIT2: Stupid spelling

EDIT3: STUPID FINGERS Y U NO WORK!?

Last edited by Dogen on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, White/Male privilege sadly means you aren't going to understand how it feels for say, a woman to be called a whore, or a black person to be called a nigger by a member of the demographic that basically set up the society which implemented those terms as a slur in the first place.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now swallow down that urge you're probably feeling (I know which one, I've felt it too back when I was young...er and uninformed). That urge to use it anyway out of spite because you think we're looking too far into this. But we're not and you shouldn't. You're feeling like someone is placing limits on your actions and words, just because you're male. It's unfair, right? You feel discriminated. But that's how women are treated every day. And they're treated far, far worse - it doesn't even really compare.

So deal with it and be conscious of your privilege. It literally costs you nothing to do so and can only make the world better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: