welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sports Thread: Olympics, Euros, Professional Yatzhee ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 154, 155, 156  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO PACKETS!

Because that is what the team you favour is called, right? They are the CheeseFaces? Go Go You Packs Of Cheese! Go Score A Net!

I bet the CheesePacks will win by four baskets to The Oppositions two bases. It'll be a close game is what I am saying. They may need a tie-break to decide it! 15-love!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is meaningless and full of pain. I think I'm going to watch hockey instead for awhile. Razz
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
GO PACKETS!

Because that is what the team you favour is called, right? They are the CheeseFaces? Go Go You Packs Of Cheese! Go Score A Net!

I bet the CheesePacks will win by four baskets to The Oppositions two bases. It'll be a close game is what I am saying. They may need a tie-break to decide it! 15-love!

Here's a fun fact: apparently the angle on a packers cheese-hat is exactly one radian.

A stranger told me that, but he seemed pretty trustworthy.
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in other news, the Blazers are a big old pile of tragedy this year. The Once and Future King, Brandon Roy, has been forced to retire young due to permanent knee injuries. Greg Oden/Bowie has been re-injured by full-contact hop-scotch or some damn thing and will be out again this season. And now our number two guy behind Roy, LeMarcus Aldridge, has heart problems and is iffy to start the season.

Thankfully we just picked up a new recruit: the oldest active player in the NBA.

This is how the world ends...
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who dat

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS - Drew Brees has broken the NFL record for yards passing in a season, surpassing a mark that had stood since Dan Marino set it in 1984.

Brees topped Marino's record of 5,084 yards with a 9-yard touchdown pass to Darren Sproles during Monday night's 45-16 win against the Atlanta Falcons. The win clinched the NFC South for the Saints.

Brees entered the game with 4,780 yards, needing 305 to set the record. He has passed for 300 yards or more an NFL-record 12 times this season — with one game still to play.

Brees threatened Marino's record once before in 2008, when he finished with 5,069 yards, making him and Marino the only quarterbacks to pass for 5,000 yards in a season.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT? Nothing on the Suarez-Evra thing? Here I am, insomniac, remembering this site and willingly coming over to defend Suarez and you people haven't even mentioned him.

So I'm just going to pretend you're all hating Suarez and I'm going to go right into it.

First off, why can't you call a person who is black, 'black'?

Second of all, it IS true that in Uruguay we use 'blackie' (negrito) and 'black' (negro) affectionately. In fact, I'm the palest, whitest, most transparent girl ever (seriously, you can see my veins, it's gross) and I get called that. Case in point: 18/43 text messages wishing me a happy new year last night used it (Feliz año nuevo negrita!).

The fact that people can't fathom how being 'black' would be a good thing really shows the bigger issue at hand. Now, why we think being black is a good thing, I don't know. Could be because our national hero, Artigas, was followed by his close friend Alsina (which everyone calles el Negro Alsina, because well, he was black) everywhere and he was the only one around when the guy died in Paraguay. So no, we don't associate black with slavery and discrimination, we associate it with being loyal and a good friend.

Plus, the nickname "El Negro" is very common here for black people or people with darker skin. I have a coworker we call that and a female friend (la negra).

Third of all, Evra called Suarez 'sudaca' and he's not being fined or suspended. WTF.

And to top this off, I'm a hardcore Man U. fan. But this is ridiculous and is obviously just a way to get rid of Suarez and Liverpool's chances of getting anywhere.

I'm sorry for the rambling, I'm trying not to fall asleep and this is the place I always turned to for international debate Razz
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you go ahead with suggesting that constantly and aggressively as 'black' is just a factual thing. How many times did Suarez refer to Evra as French, or male, or curly haired?

Dont, please do not, even try and defend him Stef, its demeaning to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, calling him curly-haired would have been an insult in Spanish. Not a very serious one, but a condescending one and a very odd one. Calling him French would be wrong, since it's just his adopted nation. And if he called him 'African' this would have been a whole lot worse considering the Ghana match and all. But the thing is, all of these things are not in the way we regularly use our language. The other possible thing he could have said, at least from what I can think of, is 'puto' which is a really insulting way of saying 'gay'. And yeah, we use that affecionately as well. Then of course you have idiota, hijo de puta, imbécil, tarado, etc which ARE insults. Add the black to any of them and you have racism.

Here we're trying to desperately understand why this issue is so touchy. The media and society at large has gone over the subject over and over again. Is it because 'black' in Spanish is 'negro', which in English has other connotations?

If you want to insult someone who is black and be racist, you call him 'Pardo' or add something to the 'black'. Check out Evra's facebook profile just around the time Suarez got the suspension. See all the 'negro de mierda's? That's an insult. Asking "¿Por qué no, negro?" ("Why not, black?") is not. Although I can see how it doesn't translate well.

We actually don't even think Evra should get suspended for calling Suárez a "South-american" or sudaca. Suarez is from South America and he should be proud to be so. But what we don't get is why two people said obvious things and one of them got penalized for it.

I knew the US was touchy about black people, I didn't know the UK was too. Some people are white, some people are black and some people are brown. Calling an Asian 'yellow' is an insult. Calling a black person 'black' is not. It shouldn't be. (BTW, never got how calling someone 'of color' is better than calling someone 'black'. Seriously.)

Now it's my turn to say "I'm not offended when someone calls me white" and your turn to say "Well, your people haven't suffered oppression and discrimination for blabla years". Well, black people haven't here either, except for a few, very condemned, very rare exceptions.

Discrimination here is by socio-economic level, not by race (I'm not saying this is a good thing, I'm just saying it's just the way it is). And that is why we don't get the Suarez thing. Even Palito Pereira doesn't get it. And he's black as well.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suarez is a whinny prick.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooch, Saurez and Evra had a running argument, they probably called one another all manner of things - I'm dl'ing the FA report right now - but if I'm arguing with someone and I call them a prick or a dick or a cunt or a wanker over and over that's abusive language. If I constantly also mention the guys skin colour too, that is racist abusive language.

I can't believe anyone in the world is arguing about this.

Maybe Saurez isn't racist. But the language he used WAS RACIST and it's been investigated and found to be so.

So go ahead and suggest that all the English Football Association has to do with it's time is pick on your favourite footballer. Suggest it again, please. ("This is ridiculous and is obviously just a way to get rid of Suarez and Liverpool's chances of getting anywhere.")

Shit, Gooch, we had this over the hand ball against Ghana too. (Wherein he cheated, was seen cheating, caught cheating, punished for cheating and you argued that who cares because you didn't mind the result and besides he's a national hero in Uruguay now).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, Stef, I've just recalled why your persecution of complex is so ridiculous:

The captain of the England team is up in court shortly because he was seen to be calling an opponent a 'black cunt'.

Well, if only he'd just called him a cunt, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell are you two talking about

also congrats to the Oregonian 'festers
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Oregonian fester, meh.
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, feck you, Arc. Huzzah, I say, huzzah!

My arbitrary region outscored somebody else's arbitrary region and I'm PROUD of it goddamnit.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think, Arc, now you can stick it to those certain guildies who live in Madison, WI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 154, 155, 156  Next
Page 132 of 156

Jump to: