welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ner ner ner the thread: Santorum knows about Soylent Dutch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who?

send him over, we don't care :p
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Hoekstra

Wiki wrote:
Born in Groningen, The Netherlands, Hoekstra moved to America with his parents at the age of three.

He's one of those Dutch Reformed people.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

age of three

he's an american mizike :p
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't stop us from blaming you.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternatively, we can send him to China. it's high time we start sending them back some defective, low-quality products.
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was made in Groningen -- I'm just trying to return to sender.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm (predictably) late to this discussion, but OH MY GOD. I saw that ad before the Superbowl, and I couldn't believe it was for real.

Is it weird that I couldn't tell she was supposed to be speaking with a Chinese accent? Everyone around me thought she was, but to me, she sounded like she was speaking totally normally but reading broken English. Maybe I've just heard too many real Chinese accents. That girl's a horrible actress. I'd like to meet her, shake her, and ask her what she was thinking.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are going to be overtly racist in their mudslinging campaign I would prefer that It would at least be funny.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:

Is it weird that I couldn't tell she was supposed to be speaking with a Chinese accent? Everyone around me thought she was, but to me, she sounded like she was speaking totally normally but reading broken English. Maybe I've just heard too many real Chinese accents.

see, this is your problem - you have actual experience in the actual real world. she's supposed to be scary chinese job-stealing lady! she's supposed to scare middle-american republican voters! it's like a horror movie - it's all about the emotion, if you start insisting it conform to reality, the whole thing falls apart!

one might hope that people voted on reality rather than their reactions to mini-horror movies, but there you are.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
one might hope that people voted on reality rather than their reactions to mini-horror movies, but there you are.

And that is why pot's illegal.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
I'm (predictably) late to this discussion, but OH MY GOD. I saw that ad before the Superbowl, and I couldn't believe it was for real.

Is it weird that I couldn't tell she was supposed to be speaking with a Chinese accent? Everyone around me thought she was, but to me, she sounded like she was speaking totally normally but reading broken English. Maybe I've just heard too many real Chinese accents. That girl's a horrible actress. I'd like to meet her, shake her, and ask her what she was thinking.

This has been dissected many times by people more qualified by me (you should all be reading James Fallows if you don't already), but everything about that ad is Vietnam. The parts of China which have manufacturing centers do not look like that; films like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now, do. Even the (obviously US-born) actress was almost certainly chosen because she looks more southeast Asian than Chinese. It's all about the dog whistles to the people who remember those wars and the communist menace in general.

I have a student worker from Guangdong and told her about the ad. She didn't like it mostly because it was attacking China for something that wasn't really a good thing -- those aren't exactly great jobs (though she also didn't think the actress was of Chinese ancestry). When I told her that the woman's picture was named yellowgirl.jpg, she was pretty flabbergasted.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember all the ranty, downright fucking scholarly words I outpoured about the hideously racist othering in the Hoekstra yellowgirl ads. I only wish I had saved some for here.

Oh well. NEW DUMB THINGS.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/12/in_his_heart_rick_santorum_knows_that_dutch_people_are_forcibly_euthanized

Via Foreign Policy.

Quote:
A few weeks ago, a video circulated online of Rick Santorum claiming that 1 in 20 deaths in the Netherlands are caused by involuntary euthanasia. According to Santorum, elderly Dutch wear bracelets that say "do not euthanize me" and "don't go to the hospital, they go to another country, because they're afraid because of budget purposes that they will not come out of that hospital if they go into it with sickness."

The remark was met with some bafflement in the Netherlands, and a Dutch television reporter recently cornered a Santorum spokesperson to ask about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokvT0CyT5E&feature=player_embedded

It's a matter of what's in his heart. He's a strong pro-life person," press secretary Alice Stewart replies.

After all, like the origin of the universe or the existence of a supreme being, Dutch medical statistics are ultimately unknowable -- just another of the unresolvable mysteries that have confronted us since the dawn of mankind. Who are we? Why are we here? What are the laws in the Netherlands concerning doctor-assisted suicide? We all have our own beliefs.

Santorum knows in his heart that elderly Dutch people are routinely euthanized against their will by doctors. He believes this to be true, no matter what the elite media tries to tell him.

It's the same way I know that one in four Laotians are born with an extra finger and that the most common name in Chad is Chad. It's just what I believe.
This is, essentially, Death Panels Mk. II — not content to have mythologized our own medical reforms to terrify voters with obvious falsehoods, Santorum belongs to the epidemic conservative mythologizers and liars who try to keep us terrified of the success of universal healthcare in europe.

Some admit that universal healthcare is working in europe way better than our system is working for us, despite how readily we could afford the change.

The typical strategy is to rely on canards and falsehoods about how what works for europe doesn't work for us for various contrived reasons that fall apart under scrutiny: our country is too large! or it's not homogenous enough! there's too many minorities, or something! It just wouldn't work! — Santorum ups the ante by proclaiming blatantly ridiculous falsehoods about the medical systems of countries that frankly embarrass our own with their performance and efficiency, to try to prop up the narrative that our medical system keeps people safe where social medicine would abandon them, despite the opposite being disgustingly clear.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....is it wrong that my first response is "i want a 'don't euthanize me' bracelet"?

apparently little ricky was badly scared by a fact as a child, and now avoids them pathologically. (little mitty and little newty appear to have been with him a the time). really, i don't know how else to explain their absolute refusal to believe such things even exist, let alone determine what they actually are. and it's spreading to their staff - why else would anyone think "he's a strong pro-life person" would be a valid answer to "why is he lying about the dutch murdering their old people?"

i think we need to start drug-testing our political candidates. he's either on something, or he should be.
Him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Putting aside these tiny factual disagreements, it is good to finally see a politician willing to take on our greatest threat: the Dutch. Dutch propagandists like Rembrandt, Vermeer and Van Gogh have already infiltrated our schools and museums. Our leaders (expect Santorum) are deaf to the growing sound of their wooden-shoe stomping, marzipan-eating hordes.”
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dutch propagandists ... have already infiltrated our schools and museums

not to mention your internet fora
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 59 of 60

Jump to: