welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic errors cause of much malpractice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: MALL COLMM Reply with quote

I actually do, since I'm slowly inching together a MASSIVE RANT on privatized healthcare and I want to add to the core of that Malcolm Gladwell article which was already so magnificent in itself.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever pick up "Uninsured in America"? Good rant material there.
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, I wish I could remember the specific issues, but privatized healthcare and Big Pharma, as well as statistics and articles on "The health effects of being poor in America", have been all over in SCIAM, and Discover for the last year and a half or so. There's a gold mine of facts and figures in there on Health care issues if you have access to back issues.

More importantly, the articles are referenced making amplifying information from science journals and the like easier to get ahold of (again if you have available access).

Halen, those figures are fucking disturbing as hell.... Hmm, how to break the conflict of interest between making money and practicing medicine?

A good start would be more full disclosure, and possibly government subsidies for less "profitable" work. What I mean by "Full disclosure" in this context is along the lines of requiring ALL study data from ALL studies conducted to be presented. Hamstringing big Pharma won't do any good. Competition and profit fuel advances and efforts if one can avoid conflicts of interest. Wiping out their profit margin would leave the industry stagnant.

Not sure about truly effective solutions, but there are some ideas being bandied about by Various health care professionals and scientists (good article on that (specifically about how to get more research and cheaper drugs into third world countries, and their health care issues) as well in the above mentioned periodicals.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
A good start would be more full disclosure, and possibly government subsidies for less "profitable" work. What I mean by "Full disclosure" in this context is along the lines of requiring ALL study data from ALL studies conducted to be presented.

2 unfortunate things:

1) the govenment would be hard-pressed to offer subsidy to 'less profitable' work in an amount that is more attractive than the de facto subsidies that are currently provided to pharmcos

2) a really good place to start would be to give the fda the teeth to make pharmcos actually finish studies, let alone publish findings, or at least the balls to actually enforce the rules and guidelines that already exist
Marik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: laz Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:

I gots to read that, I do.
Halen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MALL COLMM Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
I actually do, since I'm slowly inching together a MASSIVE RANT on privatized healthcare and I want to add to the core of that Malcolm Gladwell article which was already so magnificent in itself.

Quote:
a recent Rand Corporation study showed that Americans get only 55% of the care they needed (see Kerr et al in Health Affairs, May/June 2004 www.healthaffairs.org)

medical errors:

medical errors - 3-5% of hospital admissions lead to medical errors. that's 44000-98000 american deaths each year. More than motor vehicle accidents (43458) breast cancer (42297) or AIDS (16516)

Medication errors alone kill nearly three times more americans than 9/11.

I need to get a source for this stuff.
timmccloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MALL COLMM Reply with quote

Halen wrote:
medical errors - 3-5% of hospital admissions lead to medical errors. that's 44000-98000 american deaths each year. More than motor vehicle accidents (43458) breast cancer (42297) or AIDS (16516)

Not all medical errors lead to death, so you have a bad comparison there. Those last three are accurate death counts, it's just the errors are not totals of errors that lead to death.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: laz Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
MsFrisby wrote:

I gots to read that, I do.

I know what you're getting for christmas!
Halen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MALL COLMM Reply with quote

timmccloud wrote:
Halen wrote:

Not all medical errors lead to death, so you have a bad comparison there. Those last three are accurate death counts, it's just the errors are not totals of errors that lead to death.

possibly 3-5% of medical deaths are due to errors. They're not my slides, and I trust the professor of economics whose slides they are. I'll find out.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The JOURNAL of the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4, July 26th 2000 article written by Dr Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, shows that medical errors may be the third leading cause of death in the United States.

The report apparently shows there are 2,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery; 7000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals; 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals; 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals; 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications - these total up to 225,000 deaths per year in the US from iatrogenic causes which ranks these deaths as the # 3 killer. Iatrogenic is a term used when a patient dies as a direct result of treatments by a physician, whether it is from misdiagnosis of the ailment or from adverse drug reactions used to treat the illness. (drug reactions are the most common cause)

Quote:
The National Academies website published an article titled "Preventing Death and Injury From Medical Errors Requires Dramatic, System-Wide Changes." which you can read online at http://www4.nationalacademies.org/news.nsf/isbn/0309068371?OpenDocument or the book "To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System" at http://www.nap.edu/books/0309068371/html/ - These show medical errors as a leading cause of death.

Based on the findings of one major study, medical errors kill some 44,000 people in U.S. hospitals each year. Another study puts the number much higher, at 98,000. Even using the lower estimate, more people die from medical mistakes each year than from highway accidents, breast cancer, or AIDS. And deaths from medication errors that take place both in and out of hospitals are aid to be more than 7,000 annually.

The link doesn't actually work.
Halen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dogen! If I wanted to join the favourite person whoring, you would be briefly mine Smile
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I just love googling things, and have lots of free time at work. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: