welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1040, 1041, 1042 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moss may cause problems, or not... it's kind of guesswork. If you live somewhere that freezes, because it grows up between the shingles, it can swell in the winter and either crack the shingles (concrete, etc) or increase access for moisture to get in underneath. But some people do nothing and never have a problem.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguments on tumblr because I'm not internet famous enough for anybody to actually respond to me. *sigh*
Halen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumblr is specifically designed to make you feel bad about yourself.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I could see that.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumblr is designed to post pictures in a chronological order, and do nothing else. It doesn't even have a tolerable quote/reply mechanism. It has a mechanism, just not a tolerable one.
Halen

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet it's still brilliant.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I had completely taken care of a fine that I needed to pay, for something i mentioned a few months ago in this thread, and today I got two letters in the mail (great job American postal service) saying it has gone to collections officers and they have tacked on a additional 300$. To make this even more fucking awesome the collections number I need to call to take care of all of this is closed until monday. Now I get to worry all weekend about how much I am going to get shafted. Id like to be optimistic about how all this is going to turn out... but I am too pragmatic to think that this will go well at all.

Moral of the story; If you are on probation don't ever do anything wrong ever. What? You all already knew that? Oh, well fuck me!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks... hopefully you can talk the collection people down. Lowball them and pretend like you're minutes away from being evicted, hopefully they'll settle for less money.

My horror is visceral and grating... I have to go to work now, and I don't want to. Sad
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
My horror is visceral and grating... I have to go to work now, and I don't want to. Sad

Stay strong brother! They can't hold us down for ever! Well they can... but you know what I mean.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun from the no-fun vortex
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
More fun from the no-fun vortex

My Face When is basically the guy in glasses seated behind her.

*edit* Jesus Christ, Dinsky. Worrying about being in that situation keeps me up at night sometimes.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr horror mother's day edition that nobody will read but whatever

so my sister totally hates my mother, like for reals, and i don't understand why. she goes beyond just being rude and self-absorbed and gets into downright malicious territory.

my mother has an absolutely toxic relationship with her mother, my grandmother. my grandmother is the kind of person who will go out of her way to ruin your wedding if every detail wasn't to her liking and specification (which she did to one of my aunts). she'll lie and stab you in the back so that she gets attention and gets to be the victim of something, she'll belittle you and manipulate you and do whatever she can to hurt you just so you know she can do it. here's an example: when i was ten, my father had a stroke (he got better). my mom had all kinds of paperwork and stuff to deal with and my grandmother was the nearest person to watch my sister and i, so they had to come up and keep an eye on us at the hospital (after stopping for lunch on the way, of course). while my mom was off doing that, my grandmother and my aunt (who is also crazy) spent the whole time talking about how my father could die on the operating room table or he might never walk again and he'll lose his job or whatever, and kept doing that until one of the nurses went to get my mother and separate us. she's never been diagnosed or whatever but my mother strongly suspects my grandmother has MŁnchausen syndrome by proxy. i don't know if that's what's going on but i do know that my grandmother is one malicious bitch.

so that's the kind of person my grandmother is. my mom has always had a hard time around Mother's Day because that's the kind of relationship she had with her mother. and now it's the kind of relationship she's got with my sister--belittling her, taking her for granted, stabbing her in the back, manipulating things so that she can be the aggrieved one and my mom is the villain. she accuses my mother of neglecting the pets and neglecting us, when it's her who spends the most time caring for them and doing the chores around the house because the rest of us are at work or school--and is especially galling because it's not as though my sister does anything around the house or even is around the house very often anyways. and just to explicitly twist the knife, she compares her to my grandmother, knowing full well what a painful issue that is.

about a year ago my sister had a big meltdown where she said she had a bunch of medical and dental problems she accused us of ignoring and she wanted counseling. my father got her information about what would be covered by our insurance, but, being over 18, she would have to make the appointments and all that herself. she never did. i try not to assume the whole thing was just a stunt for attention and to make us feel bad but i have a hard time shaking that feeling.

i have no influence with my sister. we never got along ever since we were little and we eventually both settled into mutually ignoring each other. so i don't think i can talk to her about this; she'll just fling insults at me and slam the door in my face. my father is the one who has the best relationship with her, but he can't get through to her either. this isn't going to change unless they both want it to change. my mother tries to be nice to her, but it just walks her into a trap. we try to be open to her problems, but she blows us off. we try to involve her in stuff, but she spends so much time out of the house there's no point.

just today, we were planning to go up to Little Tokyo for Mother's Day, since there's a bunch of shops and stuff up there my mom likes. we've been planning it for a couple weeks. my sister knew that, but she still made plans that would have forced us to wait all morning for her, and then did a passive-aggressive routine of acting imposed upon when it came time to go. so she went off to the library instead. it wasn't some miscommunication or whatever, it was a calculated act to ruin my mother's day, on a day where she already has some bad feelings because of her toxic relationship with her own mother.

i don't know what my sister's problem is. i don't know why this is all happening. it's really hurting my mother to have her daughter treating her this way. it's not going to change unless they both want it to change. i can't be around for almost any of this because i have school a long ways away from home. neither can my father. it might get better during the summer, since i can be around more. but since i have no influence with my sister at all, i don't know what to do.

tl;dr my family's fucked up
vikkat

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gave away that she's over 18, which answers my first question, but...

from my experience, girls who never got through a healthy, predictable teenage angst phase tend to go really crazy later on. but, not unlike the shingles, it gets worse the older you get. I know I held a few grudges against my mother, and I remember how a few minor incidents grew into something that was really hard to deal with at 18. all I'm saying is, your sister might not have the right/proportional reasons to be so cruel, but I'm sure she has _some_ reasons, in her own head. but yeah, you can't do anything about it, all you can do is support your mother, call her often (like, right now), and don't miss a chance to talk honestly with your sister, I guess.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to ShadowCell's, my horror is somewhat tame. I was told by my manager that my services would not be needed as often as they used to be. I don't blame him. I was away at college, and they found someone else. I was expecting the answer, but still it doesn't soften the blow.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough, shadow. Teenage girls and their mothers typically go through some sort of falling out, but yeesh. As my own mother always told me, life is too short to hold grudges. One day your mother will be gone, and unfortunately it may not be until then that your sister regrets how she's treated her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1040, 1041, 1042 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1041 of 1254

Jump to: