welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tat is a Christian?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Tat is a Christian? Reply with quote

Some dipwad in that other thread said that it is "clear" that Tatsuya is a Christian. Where the fuck did that come from?! A Christian showing off a teenage girl's ass for comic effect? And I'm the Dalai Lama. As far as I can tell from the comics, the dragon, which seems to represent traditional Eastern mysticism, one-ups the judeo-christian god at every turn. I tend to think that the author of the comic has too much respect for Eastern religions to be a True Christian (TM). Plus, the judeo-christian god seems to be disconnected from and trivializes the mess that he created. I don't see that as being a respectful presentation.

Worst-case is that it is impossible to determine Tat's real views from the comic.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all I know Tat is a stoner.

kame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to reason out Tat's religious beliefs through his comic?

Nope, not going to do it, no way, no how.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this for tat, I rarely dissagree with his religious statements. At one time or another I have thouhgt all the same kinds of things about hipocracy and images of god.

PS. My favorite was goth god: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're a "true believer" now? Rolling Eyes

There is no fucking way that Tat is a Christian.
Yarko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you're a "true believer" now?
To whom are you referring?
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I make a post like that, it refers to the person above me.
QuoVadis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, take it from me (I'm an American nominal Catholic!1), you don't have to believe in silly things like morality or xenophobic hatred of one's own culture to be Christian. You just need to 'believe' the Jesus is (probably) God and follow his example. duh.

I don't think we should discuss Tat's religious beliefs. That's just rude, and besides, would it make any difference? Let's just say.. he's Christian enough to not openly mock the existence of the character playing as God. That should be enough, right?

Haha, I love that comic. Morality's for suckers!

edit: Tat, could you please openly mock God in your next strip? : ) I know you're reading this!
Kry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tat is a Christian? Reply with quote

Yarko wrote:
I tend to think that the author of the comic has too much respect for Eastern religions to be a True Christian (TM).

Please tell me I didn't read that.
JonMiller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chances are like so (to the nearest 5%):

Athiest: 0%
He doesn't really seem to give a lot of insight to atheists.

Agnostic: 20%
His surpernatural figures are treated with possibly irreverence, which would suggest this possibility.

Deist: 15%
This chance sorta relates to the previous one. But since the large focus point on the devil/God/etc would suggest this. (A deist beleives on a god, but not real sure of the form.. or beleives that everything is god, or etc.) Ther personalization of God suggests against this.

Eastern: 15%
Evidence for is the Dragon. Against is the lack of identity of eastern religion.

Theist: 20%
Sorta related to the Deist idea, but with a personal god. Much more broad.

unConventional Christian: 25%
The God in sinfest seems to be more Christian related than anything else. But definitely not Conventional Christian. unConventional Christians go as far as Universalists.. who are even deists so this is very broad based.

Conventional Christian: 0%
I think the lack of Christ.. or a focus on forgiveness, suggests against this. Besides, well, everything else.

Other Religion: 0%
He hasn't mentioned anything else in enough detail to make it at all likely.

I know everything only adds to 95%, this is beacuse there is bits of chance everywhere, I rounded down numerous times (there isn't enough information to rule against anything).

Jon Miller
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we get that in a pie chart?
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on second thought, I'd put him at around 50% Agnostic and 50% "clockwork" deity - of the type that started the universe and walked away.

Also, I think that he portrays the Devil and the Church in such a way that there's not a chance that he's a Christian. While it's remotely possible that he subscribes to Eastern religion, the Dragon only shows up occasionally...

I WOULD place him at Athiest except for the "Athiest Uberboy" strips.
JonMiller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
Actually, on second thought, I'd put him at around 50% Agnostic and 50% "clockwork" deity - of the type that started the universe and walked away.

Also, I think that he portrays the Devil and the Church in such a way that there's not a chance that he's a Christian. While it's remotely possible that he subscribes to Eastern religion, the Dragon only shows up occasionally...

I WOULD place him at Athiest except for the "Athiest Uberboy" strips.

You get Christians who are very anti Organized religion in general, and traditional Christian organized religion in particular. Christian is a really broad group.. as I said, on the fringes even includes universalists..

JM
DogBone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonMiller wrote:
You get Christians who are very anti Organized religion in general, and traditional Christian organized religion in particular. Christian is a really broad group.. as I said, on the fringes even includes universalists..

JM

Very true. I myself was born into a group that called themselves non-denominational Christians. Very anti-establishment when it came to the religion, and very vocal of how every other religion or denomination of Christianity were 'misguided'. Needless to say, I didn't grow up to be too fond of it and left almost a decade back. Then just this year a friend tried to reintroduce me into Christianity, though a different denomination. Needless to say, their ways and views were vastly different. Two groups of Christians can interpret the religion in an entirely different manner. The people of the new group however, shared certain distasteful traits with those of the first group and so I eventually bowed out.

As for the topic at hand, I'd have to say I'm leaning towards Tat being an atheist. Or at least agnostic. After all... just because he draws a talking pig doesn't mean he believes in talking pigs, heheh.
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question there is how sharply he's going to mock his own beliefs. Sure, it's God puppeteering Uberboy, but would Tat do that if actually an athiest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: