welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Revolutionary Pleasure of Thinking for Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, before I read the very long essay, can I have some assurance that it isn't the same sort of rambling, self-agrandizing, psuedo-intellectual drivel that comprised the last essay Him posted?

-Slick
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m tired, I’d also like to have that assurance so I know whether it’s worth remembering to read tomorrow.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ASSURE YOU NOTHING!
Billiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have a tough time believing dogma spoken by someone with a gun in their hand (unless it's "do this or I'll shoot you" which only a fool would disbelieve).
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spat

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Marik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: 4. profit Reply with quote

By now it should be obvious that self-demystification and the creation of our own theory does not eradicate “the world.” This text has the creation of self-theory as the focus. In order to be consequential, to effectively reconstruct the world, practice must be based in theory, and theory must be realized in practice. Abstraction-based ideologies are enemies. The process of constructive thinking is a process of continually adding to and modifying one’s current body of self-theory as well as resolving contradictions between one’s new thoughts and perceptions and one’s previous beliefs. The resulting synthesis is thus more than the sum of its parts. The cynic is as much a consumer as the absolutist, but one who has given up hope of finding the ideal commodity. Authentic collective self-realization is the collective transformation of social relations and the natural world according to the desires of all participants. Authentic “consciousness raising” can only be the “raising” of people’s thinking to the level of positive self-consciousness, free of imposed morality in all its forms. This type of consciousness can be termed “radical subjectivity.” If you give me a dollar I will go away.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gives dollar*
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out.

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Him

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
Here, I made an editing pass on it to make it easier to follow. Most people haven't had much exposure to Marxist academic theory and its specialized use of terms like 'alienation' and 'capitalism' so I stripped most of that out. Sadly, I bet that was a lot of the draw for Kim in the first place.
Actually, no, if I was after that I would have posted Das Kapital. I am sorry, perhaps I should have made an additional glossary so that the terms can be easier understood. No, actually my main draw was this: "We rid ourselves of the blinders of ideology by constantly asking ourselves: How do I feel? How’s my life? What do I want? Am I getting what I want? If not, why not?" which to me has always been the essence of any usefull ideology. As for marxism, yes I do believe Marx understanding of the relation between the worker, the capitalist and the product is essentially true. I have, you know, worked, and have a practical relation to being exploited, but I must admit I have not worked as much as some, seeing as i am still in education. However, my point is, my general opposition to the wage-slave system ultimatly stems from practice. This is perhaps the reason for broader class antagonism seeing as it is not only an practical conflict but an ideological one. Anyhow, I am rambling. Self-theory is good, shoplift the ideological supermarket. Revolutionize your everyday life. Or of course you can remain passive and accept common ideologies ("communism", when it is presented as an ideology, included, of course).
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoplifting analogy makes this all so cool and edgy. It's as though by thinking for myself I'll be some sort of rebel, like the devil may care bad girls who smoke in the bathroom at school!

-Slick
Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
The shoplifting analogy makes this all so cool and edgy. It's as though by thinking for myself I'll be some sort of rebel, like the devil may care bad girls who smoke in the bathroom at school!
Wow. You are so radical, I mean, hey, sarcasm, oh my. clever.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who wish to think for themselves don't need a manual to do so.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Those who wish to think for themselves don't need a manual to do so.
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: