welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Woooo Spooky Sinfest Ghost Story Camp Fire
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: The Woooo Spooky Sinfest Ghost Story Camp Fire Reply with quote

So DeD mentioned that his house gives him the creeps*. And now and so, DeD is a reasonable guy with a smart brain - shut up at the back - and even Mouse agreed that whilst ghosties and ghouls DO NOT EXIST some places are just eerie.

My old local was once politely asked by the local psychic society whether they could do a reading there. So they came to the pub - a dozen people, all of whom were frankly very weird. They went up stairs and did whatever they did and came down and confirmed that the bedroom at the far end of the upper level of the pub was haunted by a malevolent spirit. Someone had died a violent death in that room, and remained, incorporeal but angry.

Anyway so then what happened next was this, this is what happened right: they came downstairs after the pub had closed. The landlady, landlord, myself and a lady who'd worked in the building for decades were permitted to stay, provided we were quiet and suitably reverent.

So a bunch of people set up recording equipment - audio visual and just audio - and also some 'energy monitors'**. And then a seance began.

Three ladies sat around a small round table, each lady placing a finger on an upturned brandy tumbler. The lead lady began to ask rather pointed and direct questions to the ether. Rather rudely, I might add. As if the dead hadn't been harped at and badgered enough throughout their lives. So she asks whether anyone's there, no answer. Whether there is anyone in the room above us (the haunted one), no answer. Then, based on this information, they began to ask more personally specific questions. Did you die in the room above us? Are you male? Was your death violent? No answer. By now the ladies were clearly frustrated. One final question: Are you refusing to communicate with us because we're women? Because misogyny is rampant in our culture and even the dead don't respect women.

Except right as the question ended, right as the last syllable hang in then air ready to drop, there was a fucking HUGE crashing noise from the room directly above us. Now bare in mind, no-one is up there, we're all crowded round this darkened room being all solemn and shit. HUGE crashing noise. We all cack ourselves, of course, because of course you would.

After a panic has subsided, and speculation has begun, Steve, the landlord (my current boss, Tits McGhee's father in law, all round good guy) says he's going upstairs to investigate. Me and a couple of other people offer to come with him, but, he explains, it's kind of his daughter's bedroom (she was away for the weekend) so maybe not eh? Now, Steve is a sensible man, a very sensible and honest man. He comes down white as a - I don't know, a ghost? - and asks for someone to help him upstairs. A heavy wooden wardrobe has been thrown on the floor, clothing scattered everywhere. So he and his wife go and tidy up.

This is where it gets a little weird and also very frustrating. The psychic group are congratulating themselves on a bedroom ruined, and watching and listening to their recordings. Except neither the a/v or the audio record ANY NOISE. I mean, they record noise - ambient noise, the noise of us talking, but no HUGE CRASH. So well that's odd because over a dozen people heard it. And the frustrating part? Well now there is something genuinely weird going on because apparently a violently dead person will dismantle your furniture if forced to deal with belligerent middle aged women, and NO FURTHER ATTEMPTS were made to 'communicate' with this thing. I mean, mibby let the guys have the brandy tumbler; they can chat about the footballer and pass judgement on quality of the wardrobe, perhaps? But no.

HUGE CRASH. END OF SEANCE.

I have half a dozen weird stories similair to this, mainly off of my Dad who is so rational and reasonable he makes Bertrand Russell look like Emmanuel Swedenborg, and holds the same ain't afraid of no ghost position I do.

Anyone else getting the heebie jeebies at home? Goose bumps in the middle of the night?

* And then this one time I went to the cafe in Amsterdam and the waitress there, she gave me the crepes.

** I asked what energy the monitors measured. 'Psychic energy', apparently. So if you fancy knocking up some bullshit with blinky lights and circuit boards but no actual utility, there is still a market for your bullshit wares.

Last edited by Mr Gary on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(pssst - it's DeD, not Darq, in the creepy house).

you know, i actually know that someone did die in my actual house. the former owner died there, at the age of something like 95. they had to disclose this in the mortgage documents, you have to disclose all potential drawbacks (cracked slab, elderly water heater, death on the premise, whatever).

i'm assuming she died in her bed of sheer old age, and i'm guessing she was cool with it, because if anything, the only vibes i've gotten off the place are happy ones (at least, i'm happy there).

also, if i hear any huge crashing noises, i just assume it's the cats knocking things over (which is generally a pretty good assumption).

hm, that doesn't seem to be a very spooky story.

but re: your story, gary - while i have no personal experience with ghost hunters, i do check on those ghost hunters tv shows occasionally, and really i can't see why anyone would buy that stuff. the best one i saw was where they were investigating reports of ghosts on the queen mary, and the only strange noises they heard turned out to be due to some raccoons that had taken up residence.

(additional note: did your boss consider the possibility of raccoons? they are stronger than they look. or possibly a boyfriend hiding in the wardrobe?)

one thing i want to know - if the bedroom was being haunted, why didn't they hold the seance in the bedroom, instead of downstairs? i mean, if i were a ghost, even a generally well-intentioned one, i would probably get pissed at people shouting at me from a whole different story. and why should i have to answer a bunch of person questions?

also, if someone had died a violent death there, wouldn't there be something in the papers or something? a coroner's report, at least? which would tell them a male died a violent death in a room at such-and-such a pub? so, why the need for the questions? do a little research, people!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
(additional note: did your boss consider the possibility of raccoons? they are stronger than they look. or possibly a boyfriend hiding in the wardrobe?)

Racoons? In Wigan? Hmmm ... Wink

Quote:
one thing i want to know - if the bedroom was being haunted, why didn't they hold the seance in the bedroom, instead of downstairs? i mean, if i were a ghost, even a generally well-intentioned one, i would probably get pissed at people shouting at me from a whole different story. and why should i have to answer a bunch of person questions?

I never thought to ask that, I just presumed it was because they'd already done their 'energy readings' upstairs and wanted to do their stuff downstairs, now that the customers had left. As for getting pissed, yeah, I would have too, they were proper rude.

Quote:
also, if someone had died a violent death there, wouldn't there be something in the papers or something? a coroner's report, at least? which would tell them a male died a violent death in a room at such-and-such a pub? so, why the need for the questions? do a little research, people!

Exactly, and they gave no timescale. This particular pub is one of the oldest standing buildings in the town, it's been there in one form or another for over four hundred years. Chances are, someone did die a violent death in there.

I agree, they're full of shit, but it was a weird evening anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought at first the place I'm in now was haunted, but it's just squirrels on the metal roof and the hall door creaks when it is left open.
I'm a block from a cemetery and I have no ghosts. This is disappointing.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

I knew that. I would never have described Darq as a smart guy.

BIG WINKY EMOTICON AT YOU, EH, DARQ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
mouse wrote:

I knew that. I would never have described Darq as a smart guy.

BIG WINKY EMOTICON AT YOU, EH, DARQ?

I wasn't gonna say anything Wink

HOWEVER, you're not totally wrong. My house is only 1250 sq ft (bout 115 sq meters) and has thin walls. Since we've first moved in almost 9 years ago, at random intervals, we've heard the sound the sound of foot steps, like someone running through the house, in the middle of the night. And this goes back to a time before my kids could walk, were still in cribs, and our roommate was at work. We still hear them every now and again, and our roommate has heard them as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Woooo Spooky Sinfest Ghost Story Camp Fire Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
* And then this one time I went to the cafe in Amsterdam and the waitress there, she gave me the crepes.

were they tasty? was she?
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a seance once at an outdoor location where a "woman in white" was often seen; a woman had been murdered there during the French/Indian Wars (this is in Albany, NY area). Everyone there claimed to see something, except for me. The Psychic who was running the thing told me I may not be "sensitive". Which doesn't explain why I get crying insane over breakups.

Prior to actual seance there was discussion of ghostly events, and one woman and her friend told about how there was a violent spook in their prior apartment, who would bang doors and drawers whenever something going on it didn't like, and once picked up their card table while they were seated at it having dinner, and threw it across the room (not a gust of wind I don't think). The other stories were not memorable, this was a decade ago.

ANYway, the house I grew up in had some sort of electrical ghost. In the sense that electrical devices sometimes acted funny. Like a flashlight turning itself on. when there were no batteries in it. or an old flourescent lamp that would try to turn itself on (one had to push very hard and for about a minute on the button to start it). or the tape recorder that would eat batteries and "hiss" like it was on, when it wasn't on.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only interaction with THE BEYOND is a palm reading. Mine, in hindsight, was really easy as I was wearing my heart on my sleeve. Chris got asked if he was over 30 (he isn't) and which of "these eight kids are yours?" He has no kids and would know if he did.

It was quite the silly story.

So what do I think about ghosts? Weeeell, I'm of the maybe but probably explainable by science and holy shit I hate those ghost shows. There is a show about disproving photos, accounts, etc based in "fact" and that is pretty cool but I still don't care to actually watch it.

Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ghost stories. I honestly don't care if they're true, they're FUN.

Theatres have loads of ghost stories. The Burtness had some pretty awesome ones because apparently it had no less than three ghosts total, though one of 'em was really quiet.

The quiet ghost was a bum who crawled into the orchestra pit one night when they didn't have the heat on and he ended up freezing to death. I'm not sure why he was considered a ghost because he never got up to any hijinks that I know of.

The second ghost was a woman who had ALSO frozen to death, however, it was before the Burtness had even been built, so she was kind of stuck in one corner of the basement. She had been walking between buildings one night. She usually did a lot of shuffling, moaning, and muttering to herself. My best friend and the scene designer heard her one night. The tech director heard her fairly regularly, I guess. He practically lives there so its no surprise he has the most stories.

The third ghost was Stewie. Stewie was a sound board/lights operator that passed away while attending college. He is the feistiest of the ghosts and he is VERY fond of playing tricks on people. The tech director had stories of him knocking over papers and flickering lights and things. Pretty standard ghost stuff, nothin' too special...

However, during You're A Good Man Charlie Brown I was doing wardrobe. My friend was the Stage Manager, so we were both there way earlier than everybody else getting things set up. He entered the black box stage and about ten minutes later RAN back into the green room, completely freaked out. I couldn't even get a coherent story out of him for a few minutes.

Apparently, he'd went into the theatre and some of the stage lights were on. He didn't think anything of it because our scene designer and our tech director are always tweaking stuff and it's pretty likely they just left 'em on if they knew someone would be in soon to start rehearsal. My friend went back to the sound booth (which was tucked into the very back corner of the black box theatre) and was about to start getting ready for the night when he noticed the light board was set to a blackout scene. The instant he realized the lights shouldn't be on at all, everything went pitch black. There were no work lights, no lights from outside, nothing.

Well anyway, that's when he flipped his shit and scrambled into the green room.

It's not like, the scariest of ghost stories... but I like it because I'm in it, even if I didn't get to see it happen myself. Also it proves Stewie just likes to fuck with people. Theatre ghosts are almost never out to hurt people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is I think it was DeD that posted that story about the boy who ended up outside of his house after he'd been "sleepwalking." Talk about nightmare fuel. Never reading that story again. *shudder* I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.
Mellifluous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Cedar Lake, Indiana. A few miles outside of Cedar Lake to the East is Gypsies' Graveyard. The story goes that in the early days of the settlement of NW Indiana by the new European Americans, a group of gypsies made camp along the roadand sent some people into Crown Point (the nearest town) to get food and medicine for the sick that were with them. The afflicted had the plague. The party was turned out of town, empty-handed. THis was repeated at every one of the small settlements in the area. A group of men from Crown Point eventually rode out to confront the gypsies and insist they move on before they spread the disease. By this time, several of the band had died and were buried outside the encampment. THe gypsies moved on after being threatened, and there was some supposed curse because there always had to be a curse in a good story, right?

ANyway, the Roma didn't come to the US in any sufficient numbers until 70 years after this event was supposed to have taken place, and the legend was usually used as a scarey rite-of-passage for the local kids to go and fuck about in the cemetery. Markers were damaged, and they would tear the place up a bit. I didn't go because I really didn't have a reason to believe in the validity of drunken teenage pranksters' "encounters" or whatever was supposed to happen. There is a modern graveyard built jutting into the woods that corresponded to a few sunken pits in the woods that are said to be the old graves. My brother and a friend went out to the graveyard one day in autumn of 95 or 96 to fix some of the headstones. It was on the weekend, in the afternoon, and they were on the last headstone they could do anything about, it was a fallen obelisk near the front of the graveyard, close to the road.

There were only a couple of houses out there, up the road from where they were, so they didn't think twice about what came next. An older gentleman, maybe in his fifties rode up from the direction of the houses on an old 50s or 60s style bicycle. He stopped, and in a kind of accusatory voice asked what they were doing in the cemetery. When they replied that they were righting the gravestones, he brightened and said that the folks in there would really appreciate that, then he continued on down the road. My brother and his friend followed out to the truck parked by where he ad stopped, and when they got there and looked down the road, the guy and bike were gone. they looked both ways down the road, thinking he must have turned around while they weren't looking, but there was nobody on the road, anywhere. Hopping thin the truck, they drove down the direction he went off in, and they never overcame him or saw anything more of him. There were no houses or connecting roads near enough to have been where he could have disappeared down.

Intrigued, I went the next year when I came up to visit with a couple of friends. They had put up a front fence and gate to try to deter vandals. We arrived in fall in the early afternoon, and walked through the unlocked gate. The graves were mostly newer with a few older limestone sculptural pieces including the obelisk. We just wandered about, not knowing what to do, and I had started to walk off to the back left-hand corner. There were some older graves there, and I wanted to see which were the oldest. I had no fears, because ghosts don't really hang out in graveyards because by the time the body gets there, it's far removed from the site of death or whatever other site a spirit would attach itself to. The further back I got, the more my head started to hurt in the back. I started to smell flowers, and I thought "How cliché is that, the smell of flowers when spirits are supposed to be around. I looked for the source of the smell, but there were no flowers at graves, and no houses or other sources of the strong scent. I kept walking to the back, and when I came within about 15 or 20 feet from the back fence, my heat was pounding. I stopped then also because I saw something strange. Just opposite the side fence from me, were two pairs of orange glowing balls of light. They were about at the height of a man's head, a tall man, maybe, and they just sat there, floating. One friend asked in a strange voice what was in the woods, because she was seeing something, too. I just stood still for a moment and never got around to answering her. I was stunned by these lights in the middle of the day. They weren't frightening, and I felt no sense of danger or menace. I began to walk backwards along the swath beside the fence, and the lights began to move after just a few steps. They moved as two distinct units, each pair bobbing up and down as if they were walking. They passed in front of trees and behind the closest, so they were definitely occupying a place in 3 dimensions, about 10 to 15 feet in front of me (still walking backwards) and to the left on the other side of the fence, in the woods. I backed up maybe 30 or 40 feet, and then they stopped and again stood still. My friends walked slowly over to me, whispering, and then we all moved pretty quickly to the truck we came in. as I got further from that back corner, my head stopped hurting and the smell of flowers went away. On the way back to my mom's house, the friend that asked what I saw, told me that she saw two tall figures standing on the other side of the fence and walking as I backed up. I didn't even tell what I saw until they were done, but the third friend never saw anything.

Nothing scary there, just surprising. I've also seen a lot of what I guess are the people some call "shadow people" who have no depth, are deepest black, and also appear to occupy a specific place in space. They move, and I've seen a cat like that, also. The person always looks the same: kind of average height, wearing an overcoat and a narrow-brimmed fedora. I'd see him at home, outside, at work, outside the door on the porch, walking across a doorway, and at the store of all places!. That kept on until college. Again, I never felt fear or dread, mostly interest, and curiosity.

There's more, but I have to sleep sometime, I think.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The funny thing is I think it was DeD that posted that story about the boy who ended up outside of his house after he'd been "sleepwalking." Talk about nightmare fuel. Never reading that story again. *shudder* I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Oh man... I forgot about that.

I've always been super freaked out by the possibility of ghosts existing, and my friends have always taken every opportunity to reinforce that they do. I used to work myself up about it so much I would get physically sick. I actually wonder if the stress from it has any thing to do with my actual health issues.

My biggest issues seems to be with portals (doors, windows, etc) I will not look into a dark room/outside. If I walk past a doorway I will actually put my hand up sometimes as a blinder or close the eye on that side. I also constantly get the "someone's watching" feeling, not just in my own house but in other peoples as well. I visited my sister once and didn't sleep the entire trip because of it, and at the same time I can't leave the room because that would require leaving my girlfriend to sleep in the room alone so I'd just sit there feeling uneasy. I also need noise in the room, silence is when the issue gets bad which reinforces my belief it's some type of resonance.

However, I will say to my own credit that when it comes down to it I will put my fear aside or at least behind my need to help people. We were laying in bed one night and there was a sudden ungodly wailing coming from the living room. We both shot up in bed and with out a second thought I got out to investigate. I think it was the wind blowing through the window unit air conditioner, that's what I tell myself.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the time I was sleeping in the basement, because my sister's friend came to live with us and got my room... long story. Anyway, I'm sleeping in the basement, which is semi finished but one large room, and my cat, out of no where, stands up and starts hissing and arching his back and just stares off in to the darkness under the stairs.

I slept on the couch in the living room for a while after that one.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay story time! \o/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: