welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-13: Dudebro Fail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
So...I'm curious as to what authority you have to comment on how psychology is "full of holes" Because if I'm remembering correctly your "expertise" comes from a girlfriend who actually got her(bachelors i'm assuming) degree, and then a bunch of amateur study.

Are you implying he doesn't respect her in some way?

Because if you aren't I probably will.

Not exactly, yknow how I have a pet peeve about things like...adults having sexual relations with mid teen girls without being the responsible party in the relationship and how it turns into multi year feuds that crop up into flame wars?

The concept of "My uneducated opinion is just as valid as those of people who have spent half a decade or more studying the subject" is a bigger pet peeve.

That's fair.

I have known people who are extremely educated on some subjects that they don't have a degree of any sort in, though. More specifically, someone who knows a lot about astrophysics because he ran out of good sci-fi and started reading up on the real deal at some point. So there is some argument for people knowing a looooot about a subject without the accompanying degree.

BUT... he knows how to talk about stuff with people in a way that isn't condescending and rude. He also doesn't he act as though he's an expert and he likes talking about stuff because if someone proves something wrong -now he knows the right thing-. Or, you know, he's closer to finding out.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashland wrote:
Quote:
The concept of "My uneducated opinion is just as valid as those of people who have spent half a decade or more studying the subject" is a bigger pet peeve.

Psychology is a developing science. Many parts of it are very soft. Generally speaking, a psychology degree does not garner a lot of respect and isn't regarded as having much hiring potential except in very limited areas, like social work or sometimes teaching.

Which is exactly why that quote of mine you posted is so goddamned accurate when speaking about it. It is a particularly easy science to catch a blurb about and completely misinterpret the overall meaning or even overall importance of the conclusion drawn.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashland wrote:
Quote:
No. That's the definition of a control group.

Having one group where you do something and one group where you do nothing is not a control group! Dogen! It is not! It's not a control group!

I'ma just leave these right here:
Wikipedia wrote:
In the design of experiments, treatments are applied to experimental units in the treatment group(s).[1] In comparative experiments, members of the complementary group, the control group, receive either no treatment or a standard treatment.

Reber & Reber, 2001 wrote:
Control group (or condition) - A group (or condition) in an experiment that is as closely matched as possible to the experimental group (or condition) except that it is not exposed to the independent variable(s) under investigation.

The type of control group described in your example and the one used in the paper I cited are both acceptable controls. You'll find both in common use. The reason is that testing placebos is an intervention, and thus you're now experimenting on both groups. However, this allows you to control for the placebo effect, obviously. In a non-placebo control you get a more naturalistic response among your controls, but you can't control for the placebo effect. What do real scientists do? They do... wait for it... both types of research! Do you notice a pattern with these responses? Often a researcher will follow up a previous paper with a second paper testing placebo effects. Another option is to do a second experiment and include them both in the same paper. However, both groups are controls, because in both cases the control group isn't exposed to the independent variable (whether that's a type of therapy or a specific medication).

Quote:
So there you are. Two experiments, nearly identical, but only one that had a valid control group.

Nope.

Quote:
Dogen, fuck you. You are goddamned retarded.

Hey now, I'm okay degrading assholes by including you among them, but there's no call for using retardation as a pejorative. Retardation is a physiological condition that people have no control over. It's insensitive to mock them for the benefit of making yourself feel better. Grow up, lose like an adult.

Also, glad to see I'm still the one who's obviously getting emotional over this whole thing. Keep up the good work, champ! Very Happy

Citations:
Reber, A. S., & Reber, E. S. (2001). The Penguin dictionary of psychology. (3rd ed.). Penguin Group USA.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm all out of popcorn!

Quick Samsally, only a hysterical comic by you illustrating my pain can heal these tragic wounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Quick Samsally, only a hysterical comic by you illustrating my pain can heal these tragic wounds.

Check you out, Dudebro, all ordering women around and such.

"Get back in the studio and draw me a sammitch, bitch."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if thread is hilarious or a train wreck. Or both.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Hey now hey now bribing Samsally to draw us was MY tactic! You meaniehead!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't draw, too busy laughing at all of you.

Man, this forum. It is something, isn't it?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, Dogen, Ded, and many other not "D" 'festers have been excellent teachers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: