welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-21: One Shade of Grey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
daveshan wrote:
I'm just posting in this thread again to remind everyone that I thought 'Tat' was the name of the feminist girl. It was my first day, didn't know her name was 'Glossy' and that Tat was short for Tatsuya.


I know. ^_^ Misunderstandings can happen rather easily on a forum.


K.

Also, I'd like to point out that I don't hate all women, minorities, nor do I care what gender(s) a person likes having sex with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17432
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because it's come back up again, i have to comment on this.

daveshan wrote:

6)Also, she never goes after women who profit from making women appear as sex objects; unless we're to assume that no women in the Sinfest universe run swimsuit magazines, porn studios, nor are there any female pimps with female hookers.


we have never seen women in the sinfest universe run swimsuit magazines, porno studios, etc. so for glossy (or even tat!) to come out against said women, said women would have to be created in the first place, with enough background so we would know what they were doing, etc. do you seriously want to take the time in the comic to do that, or would you rather keep going with the dozens of storylines already in progress.




we did have 'nique as the infamous yellowtail, whose sources of income might be questionable, but it's been a long time since monique has been into that, so kinda no point in digging it up again.

except to revisit fun ninja/geisha times
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
just because it's come back up again, i have to comment on this.

daveshan wrote:

6)Also, she never goes after women who profit from making women appear as sex objects; unless we're to assume that no women in the Sinfest universe run swimsuit magazines, porn studios, nor are there any female pimps with female hookers.


we have never seen women in the sinfest universe run swimsuit magazines, porno studios, etc. so for glossy (or even tat!) to come out against said women, said women would have to be created in the first place, with enough background so we would know what they were doing, etc. do you seriously want to take the time in the comic to do that, or would you rather keep going with the dozens of storylines already in progress.


Oh, that's right. Because Sinfest never makes up characters on the fly and provides no backstory for them for years and years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6574

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the point was Tat hasn't made up any backstoryless characters specifically like what you described.

And is it really so surprising? "I'm going to make a story arc to empower women by creating female characters to tear down!" Seems kind of counter-productive, honestly.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17432
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. you are complaining that she hasn't protested something that has never appeared in the strip - so how could she protest it?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, Tat made up the Patriarchy when he made Glossy. Sure he always had Satan doing things that promoted lucid behavior and had Slick and Hammy doing bro-dude stuff, but Satan is Satan and the bro-dude stuff was never made out to be a giant organization even by a long shot.

Side note: Just thought it'd actually be cool if Tat threw us a twist and the Patriarchy was run by women. Kinda like BET in the Boondocks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 2059
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't it already been confirmed that D-man is the running the patriarchy? He wouldn't just suddenly get up and twist it around and say NOPE IT WAS RUN BY WOMEN ALL ALONG if it's already confirmed as being run by a well-known male character.

Not to mention the fact that Tat never made up the patriarchy - it's an actual thing that exists. All Tat did was take it, twist it around and add in a shitton of Matrix references with it, and there we go. There's also the fact that, uh... the patriarchy was mentioned once LOOOONG before he introduced Glossy so. You've got no dice there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Hasn't it already been confirmed that D-man is the running the patriarchy? He wouldn't just suddenly get up and twist it around and say NOPE IT WAS RUN BY WOMEN ALL ALONG if it's already confirmed as being run by a well-known male character.


I don't know if Satan runs it. Definitely a top-ranked character. But I don't remember a time where it was explicitly said that he runs it. Still, I think it'd be cool if it had a female in charge who had some long-term destroy all of society agenda.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 2059
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because Tat's just going to randomly either make a completely new (female) character to be completely behind the entire creation of the patriarchy (when he already has D-man for that job, considering he's the fucking devil and he's all about this sort of shit) or have it randomly turn out that one of the (female) characters we already know was behind it all along. That totally makes sense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2046
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Yes, because Tat's just going to randomly either make a completely new (female) character to be completely behind the entire creation of the patriarchy (when he already has D-man for that job, considering he's the fucking devil and he's all about this sort of shit) or have it randomly turn out that one of the (female) characters we already know was behind it all along. That totally makes sense.


You're right. Let's make it the talking pig instead. You know, the only anthropomorphic animal in the world. Because Sinfest is all about logic.

No! Better idea! Let's make it Lil' E. You know, the kid that's been around for years and years, rarely if ever getting so much as an acknowledgment from Satan. Then, one day, he has almost all of Satan's attention because he's Satan's son, despite the fact that no one nor nothing ever hinted at that for all the years he was in the comic. Yes, having Lil' E. in charge of the Patriarchy would be much more in line with Tat's policy of not suddenly changing things with no real explanation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kylra



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 383

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriarchy isn't something the devil runs so much as cultivates and benefits from. Looking through the archives a bit, evil didn't just stop in the Sinfest universe when he took a vacation from promoting it, so it seems pretty safe to say that in-universe patriarchy would continue on even if the devil wasn't actively promoting it. Like in real life there's not really a specific cabal directing things, it's more of a communal effort to make oppression of women seem like a totally normal, good and healthy thing.

I would be really disappointed if it turned out there was one character explicitly "in charge" of and being the sole character responsible for making sure it continues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daveshan



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylra wrote:
Patriarchy isn't something the devil runs so much as cultivates and benefits from. Looking through the archives a bit, evil didn't just stop in the Sinfest universe when he took a vacation from promoting it, so it seems pretty safe to say that in-universe patriarchy would continue on even if the devil wasn't actively promoting it. Like in real life there's not really a specific cabal directing things, it's more of a communal effort to make oppression of women seem like a totally normal, good and healthy thing.

I would be really disappointed if it turned out there was one character explicitly "in charge" of and being the sole character responsible for making sure it continues.


I agree with you on the Devil point.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone being at the top. The only one responsible for everything? No. More like how Clone High had the Board of Shadowy Figures with that one general seemingly in charge but all of the generals running events.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10908
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's just trying to tell a story, that would be fine. If he's trying to make a point, to make actual social commentary, then that would be counterproductive.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group