welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-06-28: What Did I Do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read through a tone of Reasoning of the Vampires, because so much of it was hilarious. But I found very little of Edward being shitty and lots of writing being shitty. Most of it was more to the point of Edward being a masochist like http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5ukartxKS1qd0quuo1_1280.png
Hell most of his stuff seems awfully masochistic really. o_o Nothing wrong with that, though he's not doing it in the fun ways. =P

But I read on a site where they accuse him of manipulation and it mostly comes down to:
Quote:

Bella wants to be turned into a vampire. Edward flat out refuses.

Edward wants to get married. Bella does not. Edward says itís the only way heíll turn her into a vampire. He forces her to get married, and he manipulates her into thinking itís a good idea, when she spends the better part of two books explaining to him all the reasons why she doesnít want to.

At some point, Edward takes it upon himself to decide that he is not good for Bella, so he completely disappears and leaves her a broken mess after promising to never hurt her.

Edward forbids Bella from seeing Jacob, who he deems dangerous, even though Jacob has done absolutely nothing to indicate as such.

I guess I would rank as maniuplative bastard though. Sad Cause 90% of what he does I understand. He has a pretty negative view of being a vampire or being associated with them, so he's prone to irrational things or trying to stop her. The wedding thing was manipulative, but if that's the case, so many relationships come down to people manipulation, as someone often wants to get married and the other doesn't.

I guess I can understand the idea of manipulation for someone else's good is all. Because I have a friend we had to manipulate to keep her healthy. She just WAS NOT willing to do it for herself or get actual help. She was anorexic and verging on alcoholism. So when we went out to drink, etc sometimes, but we'd try and keep her out of it for her own good or use manipulation to influence her not to drink. There were also points of manipulation where we'd find ways to make her eat, just a little, and it was demeaning like a child, but it was necessary, as she was out with us, and you could tell she needed to eat, but wouldn't. What she needed was actual help, but we couldn't fix that. Technically the girl had many more problems, including the fact that she has a child from a rape, which my wife specifically tried to help motivate her to at least give up to adoption, as we could tell she wasn't wanting to be a parent, but her mother intervened and...it was a shitty ordeal. Enough of that though.

I just think there's a difference between types of manipulation. My wife posing sexily and going "You want to come to sleep now and not stay up late doing art" is not manipulation with negative intent.

But either way I refuse to keep being on the side of the debate as Twilight, a book that has people enjoying to stay in high school forever, so I digress. Very Happy
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in general, 'manipulation' comes with the negative connotations that imply ill intent, or at the very least selfish intent.

It could be argued his intentions are good and he's just really fucking stupid. In general, though, his actions seem to be linked (directly and indirectly) with a lot of her suffering... at this point, it's merely arguing the semantics of words.

Needless to say, I still kind of hate him. The older I get, the less I tolerate the blindingly stupid. It probably has something to do with working in customer service.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in customer service practically makes it possible to forgive you for homicide, so...
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love stupid people - they're easy to laugh at. Less when they're in your face.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, I really adore when internet 'arguments' (I'd consider this more of a conversation, really) peter out into a sort of mutual understanding.

But anyway yeah. I've got some crazy stories I'm not allowed to tell. Maybe in a few years when it wouldn't risk my job.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wouldn't call it arguments either. Just goodhearted discussion.

I do like the idea of hearing stories about customer service someday when it won't risk your job though. Sounds hilarious. And good for you to vent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: