Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legend Of Korra
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, THAT... I did not expect. I mean I expected something... but that I did not.

Damn that was a good end to the series.

Also, Aang.

Also, PRISON BREAK.

Bring on Season 2!
Darkman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Okay, THAT... I did not expect. I mean I expected something... but that I did not.

Damn that was a good end to the series.

Also, Aang.

Also, PRISON BREAK.

Bring on Season 2!

Really? I was really disappointed. Actually I've been pretty disappointed with the series as a whole. I don't want to say it lacks focus but I would say it feels very erratic. The pacing just isn't very good at all. Also feel like they put a little too tight a cap on the first season. I will say I did like one part and I think anyone who has seen it knows what I'm talking about just like old times but it feels like the series could have better spent its time building up to that moment rather than handing us all of the development between those two in 2 episodes.

Actually you know what this series reminds me of? Saints Row the Third. I think it listened to it's fans a little too intently and while not horrible by any means, it squandered a lot of potential by trying to meet those demands without considering how the story would be best served by them.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^what Darkman said.

yesh.

Too much crammed into the last episode.
Last episode made the season too contained in the context of a multi-season show, too, I think. There were several things that they could have made to be interesting problems for the next season that they just wrapped up way too quickly, in my opinion.

I will say that I think there were ample clues as to Amon's true identity, though. Wasn't as disappointed with that as I thought I might be.

Tarlock's backstory was okay, too. Would have liked some hints at that earlier on, beyond just, "look, he knows ** skill, ponder upon how he learned that, now, would you?" maybe a vague 2-second flashback or something, but hey. s'okay.

...trying to keep this post as spoiler-free as possible even for people on much earlier episodes...
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series is... problematic.

The villains are compelling, the world is intriguing, the action is incredibly well done. But the overall structure is kinda shit, the romance hurts my brain, and the need for everyone to be a descendant of everyone gets in the way of actual story telling. The attempts at comic relief fall flat as often as not (OH HAI A FARTBENDER).

And irritating fire guy being the hero instead of, you know, the gal who's supposed to be the protagonist, just irks me.

There's potential for the second season, but I dunno.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
This series is... problematic.

The villains are compelling, the world is intriguing, the action is incredibly well done. But the overall structure is kinda shit, the romance hurts my brain, and the need for everyone to be a descendant of everyone gets in the way of actual story telling. The attempts at comic relief fall flat as often as not (OH HAI A FARTBENDER).

And irritating fire guy being the hero instead of, you know, the gal who's supposed to be the protagonist, just irks me.

There's potential for the second season, but I dunno.

I just watched it, and while i loved it I have sorta the same problems.

Quote:
Actually you know what this series reminds me of? Saints Row the Third. I think it listened to it's fans a little too intently and while not horrible by any means, it squandered a lot of potential by trying to meet those demands without considering how the story would be best served by them.

Dude, I had no idea that I absolutely agreed with you till this very second.

It is exactly like that. It's like even writers themselves don't understand what "filler" actually is. It's not just stuff to draw out a story, it is essential in making us give a flying fuck about the characters. Making everything awesome moment after awesome moment isn't bad, but it keeps us from identifying because we know that most of the time life is boring shit. SR3 was fun, but I didn't feel like I earned the things that happened. They missed the important aspect of the grind. The work. The sitting through stuff that doesn't advance the plot but the characters. The highlights of life are highlights because of the time you spent in the non-highlights.

Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I finally saw the 12th episode. Seriously, WTF? They should have left the last like... 10 minutes off and made it into three or four episodes of season 2. Seriously. The best option for character development ever. Initiated and ended in one episode. When the whole love triangle thing lasted over the entire first season. Maaaaaan.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you mean, Dogen? (spoilerrrrs)
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. And then she spent book two figuring out how to energybend in some kind of manner reminiscent of Aang trying to hunt down a firebending teacher, but harder and more pissed off.

Also, I miss the Avatar Rage. I kept expecting her eyes to glow and for her to just whoop some ass, but it never happened.
Eiden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season finale was terrible. I am actually sort of mad about a kids cartoon not being as good as it needs to be for me. I will try to re-engage the "being an adult" part of my brain later but right now I want to be angry about it.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
The season finale was terrible. I am actually sort of mad about a kids cartoon not being as good as it needs to be for me. I will try to re-engage the "being an adult" part of my brain later but right now I want to be angry about it.

meh I don't see why it being a kids show should matter. this was bad storytelling, the part that shows that it's really for kids is more the treatment of the anti-bender movement.

man anti-bender movement makes me think of Futurama.

Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i was the only crazy person out there that thought that the series was too erratic and lacked good story-building (IGN seems to be eating it up), but YES everything is moving way too fast, the romanticism is annoying as shit, etc. etc.

can nick slow the shit down a notch?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with season 1 of Korra overall.

I probably won't actively try to watch season two
like, I might watch it with my friends if they're watching it socially or something, they do that sometimes
and I might put it on as background noise in a couple of years, I dunno
but I'm not really feelin' it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Okay, so I finally saw the 12th episode. Seriously, WTF? They should have left the last like... 10 minutes off and made it into three or four episodes of season 2. Seriously. The best option for character development ever. Initiated and ended in one episode. When the whole love triangle thing lasted over the entire first season. Maaaaaan.

The only logical conclusion I could come to was they were assuming that there was a good chance season 2 might be canceled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's so much fan-love out there for the avatar series that i would be very surprised if season 2 was cancelled.

i think if i do watch season 2 i'll watch a bunch of episodes all in one sitting instead of waiting a whole week to watch just 23 minutes of mediocrity.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even how she learned to airbend is annoying. Aang spent all of book four trying and failing, which made him feel more real and less like a superhero, and Korra just has lightbulb moments whenever she seems to be screwed and suddenly figures out things that were hopeless before. The only thing like that in the first series that I remember is Aang learning to energybend.

I do wonder how they'll do the other three books - she's obviously not going to search for masters like Aang did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: