welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Will the next election be hacked?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
What's wrong with the tried-and-true method of paper ballots? In Canada the ballots are identical across the entire country (except for the names of the people running, that varies by riding), and they are exclusively of the 'draw an X in the box next to who you want to vote for' variety.

this just struck me as a was reading to catch up - you have ridings!

which means you have also revealed the great truth:

CANADIANS ARE HOBBITS.

i have always refused to give up on my country by moving to canada in the face of political problems, but if there are hobbits......
Marik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: apologies to taylorbell Reply with quote

With such a convenient and abundant food source, who wouldn't be tempted?
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
Him wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.

Neither are you, you just wish you were.
Hey, I voted. Besides I do, somewhat.

You can't actively overthrow the government, somewhat. Either you're doing it or you aren't. "Sticking it to the man" by parking illegally, making obscene gestures at police officers, and posting long shitty essays on online forums doesn't make you a revolutionary, it just makes you a jackass.
Revolutionize your everyday life. Except for the occasional vandalism, I mostly just agitate and educate. General support is a good thing to have if you have revolution in mind, you know.

If the incredibly edifying things you've posted here are in any way representative of your efforts to educate and agitate, one wonders if the revolution might not be better off without you.

-Slick
kame

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communism is a populist movement, not everyone can be expected to be an Einstein Wink
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him's an anarchist. In anarchy, no one can be expected to be einstein.

-Slick
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now Bohr...
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:

A stock owning, governmental system and regulation using anarchist....BUT AN ANARCHIST NONETHELESS
Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Kilgore wrote:

A stock owning, governmental system and regulation using anarchist....BUT AN ANARCHIST NONETHELESS
No, wait, clearly I CAN'T be an anarchist. I mean, I live in a STATE, not an ANARCHY. It's so obvious to me now, I MUST be a STATIST. Thanks for clearing that up to me.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
Him wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Him wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
If the rest of the population (could you call them the silent majority?) isn't voting out of disgust, they deserve the government they get.
Well, they aren't actively acting to overthrow the goverment.

Neither are you, you just wish you were.
Hey, I voted. Besides I do, somewhat.

You can't actively overthrow the government, somewhat. Either you're doing it or you aren't. "Sticking it to the man" by parking illegally, making obscene gestures at police officers, and posting long shitty essays on online forums doesn't make you a revolutionary, it just makes you a jackass.
Revolutionize your everyday life. Except for the occasional vandalism, I mostly just agitate and educate. General support is a good thing to have if you have revolution in mind, you know.

If the incredibly edifying things you've posted here are in any way representative of your efforts to educate and agitate, one wonders if the revolution might not be better off without you.
I do prefer live discussions. Besides it's hard for me to debate american internal politiccs which this forum usally debates about when it comes to politics.
Twister87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might deject from this course of anarchy for a moment and say a few things about American politics...

Disclaimer: I'm an Aussie, and don't fully understand American situation/politics, so forgive me for getting a few things wrong here.

I think one of the fundamental problems with the US currently, in regards to their attitude to war and the rest of the world, is one of misguided patriotism, and as a result, a one-sided government. What I mean by this is that because the US as a whole (generalised I admit) is terribly patriotic to the point of pure arrogance, it comes as red that everything they believe in, take part in and preach is fact and meant to be. The war in Iraq is America's war, the troops in Iraq are America's troops, and since America is so patriotic (generalised), anyone who takes up a contrary position, be it to the Republicans sending troops over there and beginning a war based on a lie, or be it simply to the mere idea of war, they are automatically flagged as a traitor to America, and shouted down by the media (*coughfoxcough*), the government, and by a great deal of the people themselves.

And this doesn't just mean any civilian like Ray McGovern (although, he does have historical importance in this case, being a 27-year CIA vet) - this extends to even the Democrats as well. For how can they possibly hope to win against the Republicans at present if they take a contrary position to America's war effort/stance on the middle east/anything else they believe is wrong and believe war is the only way to fix it (which is totally rediculous in itself)? They can't (or at least as a whole), so the American people are encouraged to believe that war is the only way to fix the world, because both parties say so!

I'm only scratching the surface on what I think of American politics here, and I realise I've strayed a bit off topic towards the whole war in Iraq debate, but in principle it's showing that the politics are just demonstrating a near-total lack of diversity in point of view.
death_to_dib

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well twister i would like to say not all americans are as complacent with whats happening as you think. I agree with your assessment of someone who is typically (or prehaps more correctly most vocally) for the war, but people dont simply hide underneath rocks when they disagree with the policies of this administration. Some people take being accused of nonpatriotism (*shrug* ill make up words if i want to damnit.) like a question about their sexuality. I think all americans feel they are patriotic though even when they argue against current policies. A lot of people have been debating for a long time that this war isnt the terrorist cureall thats its made out to be. Republicans have certainly used the dissent fuels terrorism appoach and the Democrats... well theyve been royal pussies in the whole thing. Which is probably what you see the most of, but there are still quite a few of us that dont buy that shit.
Marik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: don't turn the page, says grover Reply with quote

The 'problem' with America is that we didn't listen to George Washington's dire fucking serious deathbed warnings.

All we see here today is the consequence. The beast is fed, and he's polished his mnemonic language framing, sharpened his wedge issues, and now preys on a docile populace.

woe betide, et. al.
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought we were starving the beast....
Twister87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death_to_dib wrote:
Well twister i would like to say not all americans are as complacent with whats happening as you think. I agree with your assessment of someone who is typically (or prehaps more correctly most vocally) for the war, but people dont simply hide underneath rocks when they disagree with the policies of this administration. Some people take being accused of nonpatriotism (*shrug* ill make up words if i want to damnit.) like a question about their sexuality. I think all americans feel they are patriotic though even when they argue against current policies. A lot of people have been debating for a long time that this war isnt the terrorist cureall thats its made out to be. Republicans have certainly used the dissent fuels terrorism appoach and the Democrats... well theyve been royal pussies in the whole thing. Which is probably what you see the most of, but there are still quite a few of us that dont buy that shit.

Yeah I totally understand that, as I said I was making a terribly general statement and I can see that it'd obviously be from the most vocal as you said, but yeah you're absolutely right.

It's even sort of a similar situation in Australia currently; most of the younger people in Aust are completely fed up with the bullshit John Howard gives up, but everyone else is totally non-plussed either way about who's Prime Minister, because Howard is the one that's there at the moment, he's not doing too bad a job, and their only opposition are a bunch of right wankers and no-hopers. So since it's compulsory to vote in Aust, most people just go for whoever's still there, since "he's doing a good job anyway".

I could go on, but that's not the point Smile
kame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Dwight D. Eisenhower's dire warning about the military-industrial complex.

Quote:
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: