welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddha signal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inept Villain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
DesolationRow wrote:
As expected, he totally bipassed replying to several people.

Can I not choose which to reply to? And this last post was mainly in response to Inept over there, as he is the one most violently against the idea of god's love.

"Violently" is such a strong, negative word. I prefer "passionately." Very Happy
I do agree that Mellowfish reserves the right to respond to what he feels like. Actually, I think that's the only way a single person could manage to cope with the constant verbal assaults coming from all sides. I'm not the only debate the guy is involved with. This is a serious discussion, not a contest to see who can one-up who the most. We're here to have our say, and for others to hear it. I am genuinely interested in what Mellowfish has to say... even if I *do* consider many of his opinions to be... well... crazy.

Last edited by Inept Villain on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inept Villain wrote:
"Violently" is such a strong, negative word. I prefer "passionately." Very Happy

Thank you Mr Villain. And I agree: 'passionately against' is a better descriptor for you. It's yarko who is violent about it.
Froggums

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
For all the druggies out there who missed it, my second point is still valid: replacing god's comfort for those the world can offer is in direct violation of the first commandment. Doing drugs, have extra-marital sex, drinking heavily, eating gluttunously are all examples of this. Social drinking is a way to enjoy another of god's creations in a moderate manner, as is having sex with the woman you are married to or enjoying a fine meal. Doing any good thing in excess is wrong.

Your point is NOT valid!

To repeat my previous post-
What makes you think you know every drug user's reason for using? Personally, I smoke weed from time to time. I don't need it, I don't use it to cope with(or avoid) reality, it isn't for comfort. I do it for the same reason I read books or watch movies, it is enjoyable for me.

There is a significant difference beteween simply using a drug and abusing said drug. Alcohol is a drug like any other, why do you give it the distinction of use being ok but excess being bad?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
A person who always drinks a glass of wine with dinner for taste is enjoying part of god's creation. A person who always downs a glass of wine before making a speech is looking for confidence in a bunch of fermented grape juice, and needs to reevaluate the habit.

ok, so froggie made the point first - but i had to back it up with your own words. what makes you certain that every single person smoking pot is doing it to escape or bolster themselves or whatever, and not just doing it as part of enjoying god's creation? you know, like drinking a glass of wine (or having a toke) while you watch the sunset?
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoking pot is still smoking, it is bad for your health. Intentionally doingsomething abd for your health for enjoyment would constitue a willing desecration of the temple of our body, and be a sin against god. I explained this for smoking cigarettes and I guess I though people would make the connection. Also, pot has a cumulative affect in your brain, where it is stored until you die.
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why did God make marijuana and tobacco? Why did He create the fermentation process?
Secret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

God gave us free will and the incredible power of the human mind and look at what we've done with it. God does not cause suffering, people do. He just uses it for his purposes to make the best of a bad situation. If he were to stop the suffering, there would be no new converts, becuase people who are blindly content where they are never change. Just look at drunks and addicts.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
So why did God make marijuana and tobacco? Why did He create the fermentation process?

marihuana and tobbacco are both plants. they are probably part of the diet of an insect or animal somewhere, or at very least make 0xygen for potheads and smokers to consume.

fermentation has nothing to do with the other tow, I dont know why you brought it up. however:

it is a natual breakdown of the sugars produced by the fruits and grains used in alcohol, and is vital to passing along the nutrients to the next level consumer in the environments where fruits and grains grow naturally.
Secret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
smoking pot is still smoking, it is bad for your health. Intentionally doingsomething abd for your health for enjoyment would constitue a willing desecration of the temple of our body, and be a sin against god. I explained this for smoking cigarettes and I guess I though people would make the connection. Also, pot has a cumulative affect in your brain, where it is stored until you die.

Wine can also be damaging to your body, especially if you get drunk while drinking for taste.
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
Wine can also be damaging to your body, especially if you get drunk while drinking for taste.

If that happens, you know you're soft. All I know is I'd get sick from tasting wine, but not as a result of the alcohol affects I can tell ya.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Read what I said. A glass of wine for taste *with dinner*. You dont drink more than a couple of glasses for dinner, do you? And alcohol in small quantities has been shown to have a positive affect on overall health.
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
For all the druggies out there who missed it, my second point is still valid: replacing god's comfort for those the world can offer is in direct violation of the first commandment. Doing drugs, have extra-marital sex, drinking heavily, eating gluttunously are all examples of this. Social drinking is a way to enjoy another of god's creations in a moderate manner, as is having sex with the woman you are married to or enjoying a fine meal.

Interestingly, some or most non-believers would put God in with pot, drinking, etc... a crutch people turn to when they can't handle the world as it is.

And having sex with the woman enjoying a fine meal is A-OK by the bible? The more I hear about that book, the crazier it gets!
Secret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Secret wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Read what I said. A glass of wine for taste *with dinner*. You dont drink more than a couple of glasses for dinner, do you? And alcohol in small quantities has been shown to have a positive affect on overall health.

So suddenly there's a moral obligation to avoid anything mildly unhealthy and anything pleasurable except for things that "don't replace God" because of some completely undefined property that you pulled out of your ass?

So, would you condemn America for not exercising enough?
Xilonen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Also, pot has a cumulative affect in your brain, where it is stored until you die.

actually, it's stored in your lipids, most notably in the fatty tissue surrounding the spinal column, and while the effects are cumulative when smoking multiple times over a relatively short period, they are not forever.

also, you carefully ignored my questioning about taking the first commandment ("thou shalt have no gods before me") and expanding it to making sure that any enjoyment not found in god is sinful. i'm curious how you managed to read into it and get that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Froggums

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

I'll give you the point of inhaling smoke being harmful, but your claim about the long-term effects of cannabis are unsubstantiated. I want to see some sources on that one.

As fas as I knew, marijuana does kill cancerous brain tumors... But doesn't harm healthy cells.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: