welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights, Camera, Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
kame wrote:
A cohesive narrative would've been nice. Jesus doesn't really stay on character like he should. You'd think over the ~1800 or so years it's been around, the editors could have nailed all that down. Wink

That's nothing compared to all the noncanonical fanfiction which has almost completely shaped the popular conception, especially of the devil. Paradise Lost and The Inferno seem to be where most people draw their ideas about Satan, and both works are highly invented and allegorical literature which were NOT meant to be genuine commentary on the subject of the Devil. So much of the popular Satan image is completely fictitious (assuming biblical accounts to be reliable in this case) that it's ridiculous.

I agree. Dante's divine comedy was obviously for purely fictional reading becuase it was written in italian instead of latin
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
becuase it was written in italian instead of latin

Lol. To quote Slicky, "I can't even begin to deal with that." I'd probably replace the "can't" with "won't" though.

I found Dante's Inferno to be quite an interesting read actually.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twister87 wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Lol. To quote Slicky, "I can't even begin to deal with that." I'd probably replace the "can't" with "won't" though.

Sorry, it was something I learned in a history class. Dante was making political statements, but any religious works in his day were done in latin, or they recieved no credence from the church. He did submit real theological works, but they were written in latin, as was tradition at the time.
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I suppose that's fair enough. Latin... wonderful race, the Romans.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
I must say that stage directors like this rendition of god are annoying. So are many modern artists, you know: the ones who throw paint on a canvas and call it a masterpiece?

do you know what's really annoying? people who are incapable of original thought. people incapable of appreciating the original thoughts of others. people with absolutely zero knowledge of what they speak and yet who speak about it incessently. people like you, mellowfish. you are annoying, and incredibly ignorant.
donut3point5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
Twister87 wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Sorry, it was something I learned in a history class. Dante was making political statements, but any religious works in his day were done in latin, or they recieved no credence from the church. He did submit real theological works, but they were written in latin, as was tradition at the time.

Wait, they can teach religion in history class? I thought liberals outlawed it, despite their title of "liberal"... though I must say, conservatives have crapped up the world so much liberals seem divine or somethin... Rolling Eyes
--donut3.5--
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wait, they can teach religion in history class? I thought liberals outlawed it, despite their title of "liberal"... though I must say, conservatives have crapped up the world so much liberals seem divine or somethin... Rolling Eyes

So apprently you didn't pay attention in any history class you've ever taken. And you can't read any innocuous statement unless it's through bipartisan polarized lenses.

edit: maybe "moron" was a little strong
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
I must say that stage directors like this rendition of god are annoying. So are many modern artists, you know: the ones who throw paint on a canvas and call it a masterpiece?

do you know what's really annoying? people who are incapable of original thought. people incapable of appreciating the original thoughts of others. people with absolutely zero knowledge of what they speak and yet who speak about it incessently. people like you, mellowfish. you are annoying, and incredibly ignorant.

BAM.
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
rm wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

BAM.

Well, yes, Emeril is annoying, but that's a little off-topic.
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donut3point5 wrote:
--donut3.5--

It could be worse, you could live in a country where the Liberal party ARE conservatives... oh wait... I DO! Shocked
LuCiD?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Dude, you sound like a douche.

ps: there are no people incapable of origional thought
(it's like origional sin).

pps: ...After having checked around some, I offer appologies.
Sometimes I act like a shoot-from-the-hip shmuck.
I'd thought that was about 'Art' not beliefs 'n @...

Last edited by LuCiD? on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuCiD? wrote:
rm wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

Dude, you sound like a douche.

ps: there are no people incapable of origional thought
(it's like origional sin).

But, there are people still capable of original spelling.
LuCiD?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
But, there are people still capable of original spelling.

... zinger ...
donut3point5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
Quote:

So apprently you didn't pay attention in any history class you've ever taken. And you can't read any innocuous statement unless it's through bipartisan polarized lenses.

edit: maybe "moron" was a little strong

All my history classes have been on American History, or like the migrations of humans to Africa... never heard anything about Dante... In fact I don't even go to church so I barely know who Dante is.
--donut3.5--
kame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

I agree. Dante's divine comedy was obviously for purely fictional reading becuase it was written in italian instead of latin

Wow, I've been trying to be moderately polite to you up until now, but that argument is absolutely retarded. Language has nothing to do with validity, and if it did, I could say that the vulgate is purely fictional because it wasn't written in greek, or the KJV for that matter.

Jesus, man, wow, you really need to learn how to construct logical arguments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: