Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8/21/2012 - fuck the police
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adyon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyOnion wrote:
I'll concede, I can see where the "fuck the police" mentality can spring from. Though.. I would like to let you know, there are a lot of great guys on the force too =P Just the two I knew were..... are the type who would do the right thing, no matter who it hurt.

Yeah, I agree there are. =) It's the same with military, etc. There's power-hungry people that ruin the reputation of their group when they get caught up in it. We went through a phase as a nation we blamed people for the actions they were forced, like the police enforcement of laws and the military folks killing people. Especially in the 70s. Veterans were chastised with boos after getting back from Vietnam and "killing people". Police forced to break up events similar to Woodstock were called Pigs and demonized. We've come a long way though. The 90s really did a good job of clearing those thoughts up for the most part. Now the only thing we see is some people being afraid of the cops. Because you can't tell by looking if they're a good cop. Corruption may be over-played in the police force "cliche", but it's still fairly common. It just depends on the community and how determined their chief is to preventing that kind of behavior.
Wingcap wrote:
Also, riddle me this. (Not any poster specifically, mind). Seymour and the Devil both want women acting 'stereotypically'. Yet they come from opposing factions. I call bullcrap.

That's cause you're naive. =P

Besides where the things are unrelated to their choices of lifestyle/religion, how often has Seymour been duped by the Devil, buying "Jesus merchandise" all the while constantly following the running gag of never actually seeing Jesus walking around in the comic? (I still love that analysis of fundies and how they follow religion to a fault and miss the point of their faith.) It's pretty obvious Seymour hates the Devil, but he's the stereotype of a fundy. He doesn't see that the behavior he's doing is the exact same as what he's supposed to be against.

It's how I end up telling people that rely on their religious leaders to "tell" them what to do. If the Devil really was going to "destroy what we value and steal our religion", it won't be with whatever thing they're worried about (gay marriage, etc). It would be through turning a group of people into a mass of hatred instead that alienates any other new people and masks the real problems with hyperbolic messages. And what stuff the Devil could pull off just by manipulating the self-righteous tendencies of the group to inadvertently do his work while preaching the gospel of "peace and love". Big D has it all figured out. Razz

Yinello wrote:
It's a (t)Rap!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Tat's quote was shaping out to be a "Dont taze me Bro!".
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. And there goes a bit of growth seymour seemed to be getting by hanging out with Lil'E and ... Orange? Can't remember the name for some reason.

Though to tell the whole truth, I hate that people only focus on old testament standards of women, they seem to ignore that Jesus treated women as an equal, and encouraged others to do so as well. So no Seymour, she shouldn't be submissive unless that's her kink.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_roles_in_Christianity , starting at Jesus and women )

Just goes to show that outdated thinking is hard to get rid of.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Orange? Can't remember the name for some reason.

Technically she doesn't really have one. She was jokingly referred to as Gun Girl by God and Pebbles by Nique, and if you search Tangerine on the archives it gets several strips that are mostly about her, whilst Pebbles only gets one... but it's... not really confirmed as being her name... So while we mostly refer to her as Pebbles, I'm pretty sure that you can literally just go and call her whatever the heck you want.

(0_0) b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Orange? Can't remember the name for some reason.

Technically she doesn't really have one. She was jokingly referred to as Gun Girl by God and Pebbles by Nique, and if you search Tangerine on the archives it gets several strips that are mostly about her, whilst Pebbles only gets one... but it's... not really confirmed as being her name... So while we mostly refer to her as Pebbles, I'm pretty sure that you can literally just go and call her whatever the heck you want.

(0_0) b

Ah! Tangerine, knew it was some sort of citrusy fruit.
Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why would people say ,'Fuck the police?'"
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2010/071310Lendman.shtml
or maybe:
Quote:
Statistics compiled follow the same DOJ/FBI Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) methodology, recording only the most serious allegation (not conviction) when multiple ones are associated with a particular incident. The findings were as follows:

3,445 police misconduct reports;
4,012 officers charged;
261 law enforcement officials (police chiefs or sheriffs) cited;
4,778 alleged victims;
258 fatalities reported;
an average of 15.05 daily incidents or one every 96 minutes;
nearly $200 million in related civil litigation expense, excluding legal fees and court costs;
980.64 per 100,000 officers charged;
one of every 266 officers accused of a violent crime;
one of every 1,875 charged with homocide;
one of every 947 accused of sexual assault;
33% of police officers charged were convicted, not necessarily justly for the offense committed;
64% of officers convicted were imprisoned, not necessarily as long as justified;
those sentenced served an average 14 months, far less than citizens for the same crime;
misconduct by category included 18.1% for non-firearm related excessive force; 11.9% for sexual misconduct; and 8.9% for fraud or theft;
analyzing reports by last reported status showed 45.9% affected officers adversely, including 14% internally disciplined and 31.9% criminally charged; of the latter, 32.5% were convicted "for a 10.4% total criminal conviction rate for alleged misconduct incidents; and
27% resulted in civil lawsuits, 34.3% favoring victims.

From this site:
http://www.policemisconduct.net/about/

There's lots more but the point is there is ample reason for the average citizen to feel justified trepidation and fear of the police, even people who have not committed a crime.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
how often has Seymour been duped by the Devil, buying "Jesus merchandise" all the while constantly following the running gag of never actually seeing Jesus walking around in the comic? (I still love that analysis of fundies and how they follow religion to a fault and miss the point of their faith.) It's pretty obvious Seymour hates the Devil, but he's the stereotype of a fundy. He doesn't see that the behavior he's doing is the exact same as what he's supposed to be against.

Essentially--though he's got some vulnerabilities that humanize him a bit that show up from time to time, so perhaps there is hope for him--Seymour is a Pharisee.

(I thought we had seen Jesus wandering around a few times in the comic, though I haven't seen him in the same strip as Seymour. And... if they ran into each other... would Seymour recognize him or call him a dirty hippy?)
EmptyOnion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel:
in 2008 I think there were.. 2. 3 million? 2.4 million ? Felons in the United States. The average felon is put there for a -violent- crime. It's also a well known fact that most murderers and the like.. aren't convicted. Homicides go unsolved everyday, so there should be way more than that number of felons just from violent crimes alone.

Which means that the average American has a higher chance of beating you than a cop...

Should I also chant "Fuck the American!" after I'm done with my "fuck the police!" one?

A man's job doesn't separate him from being a man. It only gives him different responsibilities to fail.

Adyon: I think that unjust attack on military still goes on (Though it was probably was more intense in the 70s than it is today). Which is really silly since most of them really, really don't want to spend 3-4 years of their life in the middle east when they have wives and possibly kids (or husbands) at home I'm sure they'd rather spend time with. Well, I say I'm sure but if I had some wives/ husbands... I might travel across the world and start a war to avoid them =P but I do think it's ridiculous that you see protests at some military funerals when usually those people are the last people on earth who want to be over there fighting that war, and they usually have the strongest feelings about it.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingcap wrote:
Did you just make a rap?
ew.

Eh, fuck you.
iskandar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingcap wrote:

Did you just make a rap?
Ew.
Plus you go against everything good about this comic (that is, the Devil).

Well, I would hardly call it a "rap" I mean, the lyrics are poor and fuck tha police is hard to replicate without the sound effects. It is far removed from the new york clubs me and my friends used to go to after wrestling for small promotions in new york. Still, do not press me further or further denigrate the fine art of hip hop or I might have to go bronze age on your sorry tuckus.

Also, both seymour and the devil want women to act stereotypically, but they want them to follow different stereotypes. The devil wants women to be sex objects, seymour wants women to be demure housewives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: