welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights, Camera, Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All my history classes have been on American History, or like the migrations of humans to Africa... never heard anything about Dante... In fact I don't even go to church so I barely know who Dante is.

Well your post said nothing about Dante, you just said "they still teach religion in history class?" which is a pretty ludicrous question that I thought you were making only to goad some of the others on the board, especially given the comments you made after it. Religion is a pretty huge part of history, and it is taught about in history classes everywhere. American history might not have as much to say about religion because it is all fairly recent, and there haven't been many changes to the major religions during the last few hundred years -- but I guarantee somewhere in those classes there was some information on them. Dante's Divine Comedy is more likely to be taught in a literature class than in history or religion, because it's usually viewed as a work of fiction; not a serious religious text.
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, strangely enough I was taught about it in a Visual Arts theory class, and was told to come up with some representations of angels and demons as an assignment. As I said, I quite enjoyed the read, and I did ok with the drawings too Razz
timmccloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:
donut3point5 wrote:
It's like in the Truman Show... That was a funny movie Very Happy
--donut3.5--

I never got to see that: would you recommend?

Absolutely positively. It was an awesome movie. This is one of Jim Carey's dramatic roles, so if another Ace Ventura makes you cringe, be assured this is not that type of movie.

I would think you would like this because of the parables about "the creator" gets people to thinking, and in it's way the moral landscape of the movie really makes you ponder.
timmccloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twister87 wrote:
MellowFish wrote:
becuase it was written in italian instead of latin

Lol. To quote Slicky, "I can't even begin to deal with that." I'd probably replace the "can't" with "won't" though.

I found Dante's Inferno to be quite an interesting read actually.

I've read both Dante's Inferno, and Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's modern adaption "Inferno", and I find the modern adaption is better, and would reccomend it.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
MellowFish wrote:

I agree. Dante's divine comedy was obviously for purely fictional reading becuase it was written in italian instead of latin

Wow, I've been trying to be moderately polite to you up until now, but that argument is absolutely retarded. Language has nothing to do with validity, and if it did, I could say that the vulgate is purely fictional because it wasn't written in greek, or the KJV for that matter.

Jesus, man, wow, you really need to learn how to construct logical arguments.

Kame, read my other post on the subject. If you didn't submit a work in latin at that time, it was not given credence by the church. Even dante wrote in latin when he submitted theological works. He wrote it in italian becuase it wasn't religious, it was political, and he wanted the masses to be able to read it in their own language.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a little more complicated than that. the divine comedy was meant to be both religious and political in the sense that dante, previous to writing the comedy, was very much an active member of the white guelphs who opposed secular as well as papal rule... with slight inclinations towards the papacy over the holy roman emperor. basically they wanted an independent florence. at the time of writing dante was in exile from florence, thanks to the black guelphs who pretty much gave the city to the pope.

the fact that he termed it a "comedy" which designates it as a "low" poem is entirely inconsistent with the subject matter... and can be seen as both a unique offering to the masses and as his way of snubbing his nose at the papacy.

Last edited by rm on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
it is a little more complicated than that. the divine comedy was meant to be both religious and political in the sense that dante, previous to writing the comedy, was very much an active member of the white guelphs who opposed secular rule yet at least favored the papacy over the holy roman emperor. at the time of writing dante was in exile from florence, thanks to the black guelphs who pretty much gave the city to the pope.

the fact that he termed it a "comedy" which designates it as a "low" poem is entirely inconsistent with the subject matter... and can be seen as both a unique offering to the masses and as his way of snubbing his nose at the papacy.

religious, but not theology. please make a distinction. Religios is meerely having to do with religion (in this case the church) theological has to do with the study of god. it is about dant'es views on the church using the anology of heavend and hell, not a literal exposition on hell and the people in it.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I made the distinction by not mentioning theology at all.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
I thought I made the distinction by not mentioning theology at all.

OK, I fell for that one. I should have written "Sorry, I meant theological instead of religious, and here's why: ..."
rm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuCiD? wrote:
I'd thought that was about 'Art' not beliefs 'n @...

it was about art, as well as any other subject mellowfish decides to stamp his particular brand of idiocy on.
kame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: