welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shine On You Crazy Diamond!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Shine On You Crazy Diamond!! Reply with quote

Pink Floyd Founder Syd Barrett Dead at 60
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Associated Press

LONDON Syd Barrett, the troubled talent who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for many years.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock and drug-laced, multimedia "happenings" made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene. The 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar was a commercial and critical hit.

But Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968 five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon." He was replaced by David Gilmour.

Barrett released two solo albums "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" but soon withdrew from the music business altogether.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England, and reverting to his real name, Roger Barrett.

He was a familiar figure, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store, but rarely spoke to the fans and journalists who sought him out over the years.

Despite his brief career, Barrett's fragile, wistful songs influenced many musicians, from David Bowie who covered the Barrett track "See Emily Play" to the other members of Pink Floyd, who recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate.

It contained the song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun." The band also dwelt on themes of mental illness on the albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall."

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shine on, like a fire in the night.

*Manly tear*
HamletSr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP. Mushroom memorial ceremony in the near future for me.
shlide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And did they get you trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange
a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

I hope you got something better out of the trade

Crying or Very sad
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me wonder where someone like him went. It's sad to imagine such a character just fading away...
Just_A_Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I heard about this, the heading only read "Pink Floyd Founder Dead" and it made me worried that Roger Waters had died.
(lets face it, unless you're a hardcore fan, most people think Roger Waters when they think Pink Floyd)

But that still stinks. It seems like a big part of what made Pink Floyd who they are is gone.
Daugaard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I envy those of you who are old enough to have witnessed Pink Floyd at their prime. Then again, I got to see Roger Waters live two weeks ago, so I'm not completly at loss Smile

*brag*
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daugaard wrote:
Man I envy those of you who are old enough to have witnessed Pink Floyd at their prime. Then again, I got to see Roger Waters live two weeks ago, so I'm not completly at loss Smile

*brag*

Is his voice still pretty shot?

Drui

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about Syd the other day, and just couldn't believe it. As long as I've been alive, Pink Floyd has been a huge influence on my life, and for such a crucial figure in Pink Floyd history to be gone so soon... It's a sad, sad thing.

http://www.davidgilmour.com/
Agamemnon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, Drui. Thanks for the site. *adds to bookmarks*

Daugaard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agamemnon wrote:
Daugaard wrote:

*brag*

Is his voice still pretty shot?

I have no idea what a "shot voice" is, but he sounded like he always has so the answer is probably yes.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not for nothing ags but the title is slightly confusing, i got it, but I'm sure plenty of others didn't

also if anyone cares here's his complete discography

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/discographies.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Neo.Shroom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wish You Were Here sessions

Syd Barrett had one noted reunion with the members of Pink Floyd, in 1975 during the recording sessions for Wish You Were Here. Barrett attended the Abbey Road session unannounced and watched the band record Shine On You Crazy Diamond coincidentally, a song about him. At that time, Barrett had gained a lot of weight and had shaved off all of his hair, including his eyebrows, and his ex-bandmates did not at first recognize him (one of the photographs in Nick Mason's book Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd appears to have been taken that day; it is captioned simply: Syd Barrett, 5th June 1975). Eventually, they realized who he was and Roger Waters was so distressed that he was reduced to tears. A reference to this reunion appears in the film Pink Floyd The Wall (1982), where the character 'Pink,' played by Bob Geldof, shaves off his eyebrows after succumbing to the pressures of life and fame.

In an interview for a VH1 special, Behind The Wall, Rick Wright spoke about the session, saying: "One thing that really stands out in my mind, that I'll never forget; I was going in to the Shine On sessions. I went in the studio and I saw this guy sitting at the back of the studio, he was only as far away as you are from me. And I didn't recognize him. I said, 'Who's that guy behind you?' 'That's Syd.' And I just cracked up, I couldn't believe it... he had shaven all his hair off... I mean, his eyebrows, everything... he was jumping up and down brushing his teeth, it was awful. And, uh, I was in, I mean Roger was in tears, I think I was; we were both in tears. It was very shocking... seven years of no contact and then to walk in while we're actually doing that particular track. I don't know coincidence, karma, fate, who knows? But it was very, very, very powerful." In another interview, Nick Mason has said: "When I think about it, I can still see his eyes, but... it was everything else that was different." In yet another interview, Roger Waters has said: "I had no idea who he was for a very long time."

Heard that on the radio. Ironic, and very sad. When they asked Syd what he thought of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, he replied that it "sounded old and out dated".

Sad
Spanky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we were just talking about Pink Floyd. Well, Barrett has had a pretty interesting life it seems. Now I want to see Waters live more than ever. Give us details, Daugaard. How was it? Tickets are damn expensive though, as expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: