welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misery loves company? Wink

Well in that case go watch Steins;Gate or Katanagatari or maybe even Air.

Steins;Gate gets a little slow about halfway through and it starts to seem cliche then its "OMGWTF!?!?!? He did what?" Yeah, I can't believe I forgot about it.

Katanagatari is a fanciful pseudo-historic epic about swords and swordplay. Lots of dying but not gratuitous violence. Also the artistic style is amazing. The big reveal ant the end was a little weak but overall it ended how I thought it was going to.

Air is whimsical and beautiful and sad and full of weird asynchronous Asian story telling techniques (wait didn't they die/aren't they dead?)

Oh oh oh oh oh, i forgot some, well let's say these are in honor of upcoming halloween.

For full on action, I'd go with the anime version of Blade (Logan is in one episode). I think I mentioned it before but I'll bring it up again. If you like the movies or comics you'll probably dig this adaptation.

or CLAMP's remake of Blood+, Blood C. It kinda dark, but um, it's about vampires and, yeah, it gets really, really, really dark. But it's CLAMP so it's pretty to watch and the animation is sweet. It's really the story of Saya fighting her own impending insanity.

If you want true bizarre horror I'd go with When They Cry - Higurashi. It might seem like a harem series with young girls and the news boy in town, but there's really nothing cute and it really gets intense at parts.

Lastly, on a completely silly, silly note there's the series of shorts called Nyanpire. You can watch the whole thing in about an hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Oh god, that series is a bag of crazy that is like FLCL, the extended edition! 13 episodes instead of 4-5? Haha, it is indeed a funny one though. I'd forgotten about watching it a few years back.

If you like ... odd... Smile then I recommend Hare + Guu (and, if you like, its sequels).
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Best Student Council. Seems like typical yuri-esque antics but (a) it's not ecchi or sexual in the least and (b) one of the main characters is a hand puppet.

It's funny as hell 99% of the time, but the end is kinda meh. It's not bad, it's more like the writers ran out of ideas; it just end really abruptly, maybe it got canceled early, not really sure.

Also, there's always Sgt. Frog, which Netflix has tons of.

Did I mention Tiger and Bunny? It's meant to be more adult i.e. rich story and deeper character development.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys just mentioned like 3 of my favorite cartoons.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH FUCK CHRIST ON A STICK! I forgot the next season of Bakuman is coming out!

Anyhow, here's the fall release schedule:

Series

OVA's

Movies

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i read through pretty much everything on that list and whatever didn't bore me made my flesh crawl so i don't think the fall of 2012 for anime is for me
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Madoka movie might be good
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Magi is half as good as the manga it should be pretty decent.

Also, how can you knock Gintama and Bakuman?
Adyon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard about Bakuman starting to air again. Finally! I figured it might now that the manga ended, so they don't have to worry about that whole business. Love the unique tone of anything those two create.

I have yet to see Gintama. Originally it was kind of interesting, but the manga artist's style was a little plain for me for some reason, and I was over my head in series at the time, so I decided to wait. I'm more interested now, but figure that the longer I wait, the more they'll have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't tempt me into another Bakuman marathon
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
I hadn't heard about Bakuman starting to air again. Finally! I figured it might now that the manga ended, so they don't have to worry about that whole business. Love the unique tone of anything those two create.

I have yet to see Gintama. Originally it was kind of interesting, but the manga artist's style was a little plain for me for some reason, and I was over my head in series at the time, so I decided to wait. I'm more interested now, but figure that the longer I wait, the more they'll have.

Well the manga only consist of about 90% filler, as in the main story hasn't been returned to until chapter 400 or so, but it is a comedy gag series afterall.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Oh oh oh oh oh, i forgot some, well let's say these are in honor of upcoming halloween.

For full on action, I'd go with the anime version of Blade (Logan is in one episode). I think I mentioned it before but I'll bring it up again. If you like the movies or comics you'll probably dig this adaptation.

or CLAMP's remake of Blood+, Blood C. It kinda dark, but um, it's about vampires and, yeah, it gets really, really, really dark. But it's CLAMP so it's pretty to watch and the animation is sweet. It's really the story of Saya fighting her own impending insanity.

. . .

Lastly, on a completely silly, silly note there's the series of shorts called Nyanpire. You can watch the whole thing in about an hour.

Have obtained for October, Halloweenish viewing. Smile

(Oooo! Logan-sama! Arr num num num!)
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the answer is still yes.

-Slick
Pint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously. Agreed. I think that every time I read the thread title.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there can also be such a thing as too much anime

seriously, go ask science
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 19 of 36

Jump to: