welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some papers I've been grading.

Some incredibly depressing discussion boards in which I seem to be the only person who thinks that mainstream DC Comics super-heroes shouldn't be killing people. Sad

Need to get off the computer for a bit... Sad
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Some incredibly depressing discussion boards in which I seem to be the only person who thinks that mainstream DC Comics super-heroes shouldn't be killing people. Sad
You really don't think the Joker should be killed, really?
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
ChastMastr wrote:

Violence doesn't solve anything, young man.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
ChastMastr wrote:

I don't think good story telling needs to rely on the threat of the very worst possible things ever to stay interesting. So no, in a good story, not only would the Joker not need to die, he wouldn't be threatening to blow everybody up every five seconds because some writer was too lazy to figure out a better way to hook the reader.

That's just what I look for, though. I suppose I could be unique in that. I love superhero stories, but I find I'm drawn for the ones that are generally made for younger audiences. Interestingly, nobody dies in them.

Edit to add: Though the Joker is a tricky example for me. I really enjoyed the Dark Knight -despite- the fact that the Joker kept threatening to blow people up. So, ultimately, it's one of those things that can be used well in story telling... but usually isn't.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a lot of it has to do with other characters being all kill-happy in the new continuity. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and others. It just brings me down in a big way. Sad
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I also did say on the other board that, yes, making the Joker the equivalent of Charles Manson ten or fifty times over makes it kind of ridiculous. It wouldn't be Batman or the Gotham cops. The relatives of all of his victims would burn Arkham to the ground and tear him limb from limb at that point...
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a comic with Kyle getting the other lanterns to save Larfleeze's life from the last survivor of a race Larfleeze himself wiped out. So, I'm not currently inclined to agree that the heros of DC need to respect the life of evil people more. But, maybe I've just read too much Punisher.

However, context is all important. I would agree in most cases it would be unseemly for heros to actively kill people. I guess I would have to see the examples that are upsetting you.

Feiticeira wrote:
Violence doesn't solve anything, young man.
Not a big comic book reader, I see.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder Woman (killing a lot, lately), Hal Jordan (blasting heads off of opponents), Aquaman stabbing people with his trident, and more. The genuinely evil Amazons, gods, and Guardians (aieeeeee) are icing on the cake. I swear this is like Earth-3 or something.

However, I'm now burned out on arguing about DC. It doesn't seem to help and it hurts too much. So.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
I just read a comic with Kyle getting the other lanterns to save Larfleeze's life from the last survivor of a race Larfleeze himself wiped out.

PS: Hmmm. Bedard, right, not Johns? I should check more of his stuff out.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC is trying to be edgy. Unfortunately, just adding a higher death count doesn't make something edgy.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
PS: Hmmm. Bedard, right, not Johns? I should check more of his stuff out.
I don't follow writers..... I know everything about lore and nothing about anything else.

Or at least I did know everything about lore. I've not had time to catch up after the 3rd reset.

Anyway, I'm cool with WW killing people, never made sense to me that she did not. I'd have to see the other examples to give you my thoughts, but--as you say-- it sounds like you've heard enough dissenting opinions from the penut gallery.

(I did think it was disappointing that Superman in JLA 52 acted like Superboy Prime, however, but the storyline picked up)
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the fact that they feel they need to be edgy to hook people is definitely a problem and shows a lack of writing skill. In comics like that, you want your edgy moments to be few (or they lose impact) and come in your STORY not just changing the actions of your characters. It's like SamSally said before about the Dark Knight. It actually used a situation where many are at risk and what more, did so in an edgy way. Batman wasn't edgy though. (At least more than he already was) If Batman had just been the edgy one, it would have been another simple popcorn flick. Nothing special or memorable.

I don't know for sure how to weigh in on the idea of the characters killing people specifically. I'm not opposed in certain circumstances. But the idea of them just beheading every enemy they happen to fight? That'd just get monotonous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Nixonland, now reading Coming Apart.

-Slick
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Comming Apart. Much food for thought there. Now reading Mad as Hell, which picks up shortly after Nixonland ended, with much the same subject matter (i.e. the formative years of modern, American right-wing populism).

-Slick
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey. I should really learn that when my librarian friend highly recommends a book, I should just go block out some time in my week to sit down and read it. I read the first 100 pages last night and have been aching to sit down and read some more.

BTW, that is part of the reason I don't read as much as I would like - if I am in a good book, work/food/sleep seems secondary.
Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 225 of 246

Jump to: