welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting to know you - this time, it's a game!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Getting to know you - this time, it's a game! Reply with quote

Ok so this is a simple ice breaker game. Some of us know a bit about the others, some, not so much. Since there's a BUNCH of new people here since the last time this was played there should be a lot of new ground for all.

RULES: I'll start by posting four questions, then answering them. The next person answers them as well, and so forth and so on. After two or three days (gives time for people to answer questions) someone (me or whomever feels like it) will post four more questions. I'll compile the full list of questions on this first page for any who fall behind.

You can answer stuff as little or as much as you want, but as game meant to stimulate conversation, I think answering more works better than less. For reference here's the old thread.

QUESTION LIST

1. What is your favorite noodle based dish?
2. What is your highest level of education, and what, if any, degrees/certificates etc. do you have/are still working towards?
3. If you had to choose between losing a foot or a hand, which would you pick?
4. What was the best and worst present you've ever received?

5. How old were you when you learned to ride a bike?
6. What was the last sporting event you went to?
7. On a scale of one to fluffball, how furry are you?
8. Why?

9. What was / is your nickname, and why?
10. What was your favourite Christmas?
11. Is there a song that makes you dance your ass off, and what is it & why?
12. Are you happy with your current hair do?

Last edited by Darqcyde on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino ("spaghetti with garlic, olive oil and chili peppers" in Italian), or as it's more commonly known, Aglio e olio. In my own personal variation I caramelize some onions with the garlic, but they aren't necessary. This is simply one of the easiest and simplest dishes anyone can make. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/aglio-e-olio-recipe/index.html Also freshly grated parmesan helps balance out the dish.

2. I'm currently in college after a 8 year or so hiatus, going for a BFA in Creative Writing. I was previously going for Video Game Design for a little over a year prior to switching majors.

3. At first I was going to say my foot, but if I could choose which hand then I would choose my left hand.

4. The best present I ever received was my maternal grandmother paying for me to go to Germany for 11 days between my junior and senior years of high school. My worst was a re-gifted chandelier from my sister. It was ugly, didn't match anything in our house (it was brushed steel), and worst of all was WAY too big to fit in the low ceiling of my dining room. Considering the decor of her house, I'm pretty sure she gave it to me for the same reasons I detested it. I found out she had re-gifted it through a mutual acquaintance that gave it to her. According to them she was also given the receipt, which I really wish she had given to me. It was a waste of a $150 dollars during a time when I needed the money for things like baby supplies, clothing, and rent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tofo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hi. Long time lurker here, it seems I haven't posted in months, if not years - makes me wonder if I'm considered new or not.

Ha, anyways...

----------------------

1) Pho. Granted, I've been eating it since I was a kid, but I've never been tired of it.
..Then again, would Pho be considered a soup-based dish? If so, then there are many noodle-based dishes that I like quite a bit. So much that it's become something like a rotation of favorites - as of this moment, the current favorite is Pad Thai.

2) I'm a first year transfer student from a junior college, finally getting started on my BS for Computer Science.

3) I'd pick a foot - I'm trying to imagine how life would be like in either case, and I think I'd put priority in keeping my hands over my feet.

4) The best present I could think of is when my sister got me a [new] ipod nano 4th generation. Back then, I really wanted my own mp3 player to listen to music and everything else an mp3 player does (note: it only plays music), and so I was pretty damn ecstatic when she showed it to me.
As for worst present.. I think I'll have to say a McDonald's "McRib is back!" t-shirt from my cousins that is about 2 or 3 sizes too small for me.
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting to know you - this time, it's a game! Reply with quote

I'm really only answering these questions so I can answer number 2, but:

I once ate spaghetti bolognaise in Tirol, Austria and it was fucking delicious.

2. What is your highest level of education, and what, if any, degrees/certificates etc. do you have/are still working towards?
WELL I'M GLAD YOU ASKED because I just came back from my graduation as a Master of History (i'm the master of history yeah) and I threw a hat and everything. I'm now going to get an additional Master's degree in journalism.

foot, hands down

worst: deodorant, in a secret santa thing in school. my secret santa couldn't be bothered getting a real gift so there. (note: i didn't stink)
best: no idea. can't think of anything
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer! There's a whole thread somewhere on how awesome pho is.

Also Gary, why haven't you posted here?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting to know you - this time, it's a game! Reply with quote

Some sort of Indonesian thing called Goreng something or other. Though I am rather partial to the Amsterdam noodle chain places, whatever they're called.

Dropped out of university first year.

At least if I lost a foot I could pretend I was one of the 'army of one legg'd men' from Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman. Also if I lost a hand I'd not be a particularly good bartender.

Easy. About seven years ago my Dad bought me a copy of The Bookseller of Kabul. It's actually a very interesting book, if memory serves. Only problem, he'd also bought it for me for my birthday four months earlier. Supplimentary, my Dad phoned me a few weeks ago to tell me he'd ordered my some books for my birthday this year round. Delivery guy brought me Riders, by Jilly Cooper and How To Quit Smoking, by Paul McKenna. I thought that was the worst present ever, had no idea how I would thank him for it, wondered if the man even knew me one bit. Delivery guy came back 30 mins later, he'd given me the wrong parcel.

Best? It's sappy and horrendously back looking and Halen and Michael would kill me for saying it, but a few years ago I began dating an especially attractive young lady, and on my 30th birthday she came round with chocolate cake and a 3litre box of cheap wine and spent the weekend in my bed. The whole thing ended horribly 18 months later, but when they say that on your deathbed you'll regret all the sex you didn't have, it won't count for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Mac and cheese with crushed jalapeno kettle chips mixed in. Because I'm white trash. And love cheese.

2: Bachelor's degree in forest management, may go back for a second bachelor's in forest engineering or *gag* a master's. Undecided.

3: Foot. Better prosthesis are available for feet and even a club foot wouldn't impair who I am and what I do nearly as much as losing a hand would.

4: Best, knife made from an old railroad spike. Worst, remote controlled car. On my sixteenth birthday. As I was drugged up and awaiting surgery.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. spaghetti and marinara, although i've also got a healthy appreciation for ramen, mac and cheese, and stuffed ravioli

2. some associate's degrees, working on a bachelor's in philosophy; if all goes as planned i'll have that in hand by the end of June next year

3. foot. i would go insane if i lost one of my hands. have to relearn how to draw, write, type...ugh.

4. worst is from my evil grandmother, an expensive executive pen set when i was seven (i used them to draw Star Wars and Thomas the Tank Engine). best was a tablet that some of my friends pooled up money for and sent me, which taught me the magic of friendship.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Um, I don't do much with noodles. I rather like pad thai and I often make my own spaghetti and marinara.

2. BS in Engineering Management (minor in Industrial Psychology).

3. Foot - you lose so much less articulation.

4. Frankly I have no idea. Um, I love a tea set that I got once (the cast iron kind). Worse present? Um, my aunt got me terrible novelty underwear once (it was still cut all granny panties style but it was sheer) buuuut I didn't receive them until after she died (she died a few weeks before Christmas). Everything was uncomfortable.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Whatever helps me maintain my black belt and 2% body fat.

2) I have a PhD in Everything.
...(okay, okay, fine, a BA in two things)

3) Foot.

4) The Universe.
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. One of the main ingredients is noodles, the rest is a secret

2. A master in Applied Economics, working towards a PhD in Operations Research

3. Foot, no contest

4. Best; I'll go with a large plush dog. I remember being very happy when I got him and he still has a place of honour in my bedroom.
Worst; A bottle of cava that I got as part of a "thank you" from a team I coached. I'm not very vocal about not drinking alcohol, but it isn't exactly a secret either.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fettuccine Alfredo

2. I went to high school ( class of '82 )

3. Right hand ( I'm left handed )

4.a. A friend gave me an iPod shuffle out of the blue. i have come to depend on it.

4.b.can't think of a bad present
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay questions!

1. Tom Yam cream shrimp noodle soup.

2. Crap, how to explain this to Americans. I guess my degree is a little below Bachelor (to explain, below Bachelors there are 4 levels and I'm on the 4th which is the highest) and currently I'm working an office job. I would like to get a Bachelor in Management perhaps a year or two later.

3. A foot. I need my hands for a gazillion things.

4. Best: A handdrawn portrait of me and my 4 close friends. I cherish it. <3
Worst: A card. I don't like cards. I don't mind you letting me know that you know it's my B-day, but I will throw it away. Sorry. You're better off sending me an e-mail.
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrimp fra diavolo.

MS in Software Engineering. I also have a graduate certificate in database systems technology. I'm PMP and ITIL foundation certified. I used to have some other IT certs, but they're long since obsolete.

Foot. As Arc and others have pointed out, the prosthetics for feet are so much more suited to their function. Heck, after watching that guy in the Olympics, maybe I should lose them both so I can run better.

Best - probably the watch my wife got me a couple of years ago for my birthday. It's pretty fancy, but more importantly, it's made of polished tungsten. Not only does that make it very heavy, and draw attention from security folks when it goes through the x-ray screeners, it's for-all-intents-and-purposes scratch proof. I'm hard on stuff, and all I do is wipe the smudges off of this thing everyday, and it looks practically brand new. (I need to take it to be cleaned to get the gunk down in between the links cleaned out.)

Worst - impossible to say. I find it hard to dislike a present. If I were forced to choose, a couple of years ago for Xmas, our group manager (who gave everyone in our office in the group a gift) gave me a boxed Jack Daniels set that included a bottle of JD and a pair of coasters. I don't drink whisky. The coasters are nice, though.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I think you mean Wagamama or Wok to go?

Anyhow:

1. Any thai stir fry with rice noodles

2. BA (Liberal Arts & Sciences, major in Film, Minor in Psychology) And currently doing a MA in Cognitive Semiotics

3. Foot

4. No bad presents, although I was mad at my parents for giving me something small for christmas (we don't give presents for x-mas). Or, you know, a break-up. Although in hindsight...

Best present was probably money. I love money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: