welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ever-Evolving list of Republican Presidential Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

so who's it going to be, for reals.
Newt Gingrich
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Mitt Romney
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Mitch Daniels
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Ron Paul
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Tim Pawlenty
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Sarah Palin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rick Santorum
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Jon Huntsman
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Some complete outsider
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly nate, and his assumptions about voting rights!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoiler alert: this appears to actually be part of the GOP's plan
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the most interesting part of that survey. Either likely voters don't use roads, public utilities, hospitals, or go to school... Or they're the victims of some cognitive biases... I'll wager they're right: they all drive off-road, home school, produce their own electricity, purify their own water, and treat their own wounds.
Quote:
20. Some people say that while Americans may talk about smaller government and less dependency on government services, they don't really mean it and have, in fact, become more dependent on government. Do you think the average American is:
SCALE: 1. Highly dependent on government 2. Somewhat dependent on government 3.Only slightly dependent on government 4. Not at all dependent on government 5. (Donít know)

Highly dependent
29%
Somewhat dependent
Only slightly dependent
Not at all dependent
(Don't know)

21. How about you yourself? Being as honest as you can be, are you:
SCALE: 1. Highly dependent on government 2. Somewhat dependent on government 3.Only slightly dependent on government 4. Not at all dependent on government 5. (Donít know)

Highly dependent
9%
Somewhat dependent
Only slightly dependent
Not at all dependent
(Donít know)

mouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was this the rasmussen survey, or the fox?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fox study CTrees linked as corroboration.

I just love me some cognitive biases. They're my favorite thing!
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those answers totally make sense for a fox audience. "yeah, all them commie liberal pinko democrats are sucking at the government teat, but not me!"
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't poll Fox viewers, though.

I think "government services" is this vague term that people define differently. I would have liked to see them follow up 20 by asking them to define the term (does everyone list direct assistance like welfare but neglect indirect services like water?). I'd be willing to bet that people who defined services narrowly are more likely to say they don't depend on them. I even wonder if there's an ideological divide. I could see someone who discounts indirect services would be more likely to support small government (a different population from people who recognize the scope of services and want to get rid of them).

All theory, but one I wish they'd tested!
Him

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
They didn't poll Fox viewers, though.

I think "government services" is this vague term that people define differently. I would have liked to see them follow up 20 by asking them to define the term (does everyone list direct assistance like welfare but neglect indirect services like water?). I'd be willing to bet that people who defined services narrowly are more likely to say they don't depend on them. I even wonder if there's an ideological divide. I could see someone who discounts indirect services would be more likely to support small government (a different population from people who recognize the scope of services and want to get rid of them).

All theory, but one I wish they'd tested!

And then there's people like this...

You know the sad part? I was naive enough to believe I would only find one picture with a sign like this from a tea party protest.

Congratulations to the GOP and their propaganda arm Fox News at keeping people ignorant and frightened.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah to go back to all of my other posts that said "yo this election is pretty much over" yo this election is pretty much over

election right now is a flowchart. Right now we are on "does something happen which massively benefits romney at the detriment of obama's support" and if the answer is no, no such radical event occurs, it's just a straight line to "obama wins"
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama could literally eat a baby on national television and Romney would manage to fuck it up by declaring Obama's baby-eating skills to be inferior and demonstrating this by eating two babies himself. Two black babies. He's done.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what the poll (or some poll) needs is a combination of what dogen and him are talking about - give people a list of services, and then have them check off which are government services. i think this would be more useful than having people just list them off, because what comes out is what's on top of your mind. like, i know about things like environmental regulation and water and the judicial system, but i would probably start listing medical things. back when i was working in environmental monitoring, i would have started with the environmental things. if i failed to mention medicare, would that mean that i didn't know medicare was a government service, or that i just wasn't thinking much about medicare at that point in my life.

i think it would be interesting to quantify what people think the government does and doesn't do. because clearly, a lot of people need some education on that point.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Obama could literally eat a baby on national television and Romney would manage to fuck it up by declaring Obama's baby-eating skills to be inferior and demonstrating this by eating two babies himself. Two black babies. He's done.

you suggesting this is his debate strategy? that could definitely attract the all-important heavy metal vote.

i'm sorta looking forward to the debates. i didn't really watch any of the republican debates, so i don't remember anything about romney's performance - although against people like bachmann and perry, just about anyone relatively cogent would look good. i suppose debate watching will mostly come down to looking for the 'gotcha' moment, or who says the stupid thing, or the thing that can be made to look stupid, that will get quoted to death.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shit is like Santorum level of classy:
Mother of slain Navy SEAL: Romney shouldnít politicize her sonís death
By Max Zimbert | The Ticket Ė 2 hrs 24 mins ago
Quote:
The mother of Glen Doherty, a Navy SEAL who was one of four Americans killed in the Sept. 11 attack in Libya, told a Boston TV station that GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney shouldn't politicize her son's death. Romney told an Iowa campaign audience on Tuesday about a chance encounter with a Navy SEAL during a Christmas party in San Diego, although he did not invoke Doherty by name. Romney owns a home in California and Doherty was stationed there, serving in the military. Romney cited the SEAL's dedication to the Middle East and his commitment to foreign service as a way to draw a contrast with President Barack Obama's response in the region, which Romney has criticized as lacking in leadership. As Yahoo News's Holly Bailey reported:
Romney wrote:
Citing a CNN report that Doherty had been killed while trying to help others at the consulate, Romney expressed his admirationóand likened it to the leadership he says the country needs now in Washington.
"When he and his colleagues there heard that the consulate was under attack ... they went there. They didn't hunker down where they were in safety. They rushed there to go help," Romney said. "This is the American way: We go where there's trouble. We go where we're needed. And right now we're needed. Right now the American people need us."

After Romney's remarks, Barbara Doherty told Boston's WHDH 7News that the GOP nominee shouldn't invoke her son that way again. "I don't trust Romney," she said. "He shouldn't make my son's death part of his political agenda. It's wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama." Romney has amplified his criticisms of Obama's foreign policy and defense record with a speech on Monday that fact-checkers and the Obama campaign said was rife with errors and policy reversals.

Yeah, he "rushed right there." It's almost as if he weren't a soldier following orders, like he was some part of some rogue vigilante group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted about it yet, but the semi-famous "Bainport"/Sensata plant is in my hometown of Freeport, IL which is where I live currently too.

http://www.journalstandard.com/features/x2051150638/Durbin-visits-Bainport-site?zc_p=1

Yes, before anyone says anything I know Romney hasn't been part of Bain for over a decade blah blah thanks I get it. Anyways, Al Sharpton will be there this Saturday and The Ed Show will be broadcasting from there Live.

On a personal note, my father worked at that plant for over 35 years. My Aunt worked there for 30 some odd years. My father-in-law worked there. My grandmother worked there. Various other relatives have worked there on and off throughout the years. My brother and I both worked there over summers in college. It's a sad thing to see so many of those jobs that sustained my family and countless others go overseas. I'm not sure if we'll ever see those jobs back no matter what either candidate does. Sad
Kenshiro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who claims that they completely don't need government and/or don't get any measurable benefits from it is clearly insane and not in touch with the world around them.

HOWEVER:

There is a difference in the way this logic is stated and the way it is often used. The idea that we all benefit from having certain government programs and regulations in place is obvious, but this argument is often used to support the idea that if some government is good then more must be better, and there is a logical fallacy between those two ideas; the one very much does NOT guarantee the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 41 of 43

Jump to: