welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 632, 633, 634 ... 825, 826, 827  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in related news
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH THAT POST LOOKS A LOT LIKE THE POST I POSTED AND THEN DELETED

HMMMMM
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life's funny that way.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:

I think my obsession with the Asian cultures is starting to show. I envy you getting to go over there regularly. My wife and I have been wanting to go for forever. We think if we were going to live somewhere else, it would probably be Australia, close to Asian countries, yet not quite as different of a living environment than we're used to.

Unasked for advice: Never ever expect anything out of of a country beforehand. That way you won't be disappointed and enjoy it more. I had all these images of Japan when I landed there, most were shattered after the first month Smile.

And Australia is cool; we'd like to live there a bit too if opportunity arise.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwarf dinosaurs!

i don't know why people waste time trying to clone things like mammoths, when we could have tiny little pet dinosaurs!

ok, the "fangs for nipping" may sound a little off-putting, but not if you've ever lived with a cat!
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, now they'll have material to film another Jurassic Park movie.

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Unasked for advice: Never ever expect anything out of of a country beforehand. That way you won't be disappointed and enjoy it more. I had all these images of Japan when I landed there, most were shattered after the first month Smile.

And Australia is cool; we'd like to live there a bit too if opportunity arise.

True. I actually have had my views of the area shattered a few times already, so I can expect more if I ever do get to go there. Have a couple friends currently living there. One girl in that I met during my Masters in particular has shared a lot of the experience. Actually living there seems like it would be impossible for us. Just doesn't fit our lifestyle. But yeah, Australia seems pretty nice. We'll see after we visit someday. Also need to visit Europe, as my wife wants to go back there. Of course her Aunt lives in France, so she's been there a few times. I've never gone out of the country. >.> My family was not the traveling type. I hadn't even seen the ocean in person until I went to California a few years ago for the first time on business. Was loving it, even though no one warned me the beach in West LA doesn't really get very warm. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British court rules that Kenyans tortured during British colonial rule of Kenya can sue the UK

i really like the argument that the Kenyans who were tortured should sue the Kenyan government, which started to, um, exist after the claimants were tortured
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a police officer in Philadelphia punched a woman thinking she threw liquid on him (Note: she didn't.)

Well that police officer is getting suspended with the intent to dismiss.

Quote:
Officials say a police officer seen on video punching a woman at a Philadelphia neighborhood street party over the weekend is being suspended for 30 days as of Thursday with intent to dismiss.

Commissioner Charles Ramsey took the action Wednesday against Lt. Jonathan Josey following Sunday's events during a north Philadelphia festival associated with the city's annual Puerto Rican Day Parade.

Prosecutors earlier said a disorderly conduct charge was being withdrawn against 39-year-old Aida Guzman of Chester.

A 36-second video on YouTube shows Guzman being struck in the face and falling to the ground, her face bloodied, then being led away in handcuffs.

She has marks on her lip, where the punch landed, and on her elbow, on which she fell, reports CBS staitn KYW in Philadelphia.

John McNesby, president of the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police, told WPVI-TV he thinks the decision to dismiss Josey "stinks."

FUCK YOU, JOHN MCNESBY.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACAB, Mindslicer.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Fuckity fuck fuck Reply with quote

This isn't a surprise, but I wish it was:

http://news.yahoo.com/1-dead-10-arrested-anti-terror-sweep-france-160231101.html

Quote:
PARIS (AP) Police carried out raids across France on Saturday after DNA on a grenade that exploded last month at a kosher grocery store led them to a suspected jihadist cell of young Frenchmen recently converted to Islam.

The man whose DNA was identified, named by police as Jeremy Sydney, was killed by police after he opened fire on them, slightly wounding three officers in the eastern city of Strasbourg. Officials said he had been under surveillance since last spring around the time a French Islamic went on a shooting rampage against a Jewish school and French soldiers, killing seven people.

Ten other suspects, aged between 19 and 25, were arrested across the country on Saturday. One man was carrying a loaded gun, and police found weapons, cash and a list of Paris-area Israeli associations during the raids.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said all the arrested suspects were French and recent converts to Islam.

Four of the men involved in the raid had written wills.

"You can imagine what their other plans could have been," Eric Voulleminot, a counterterrorism official, said at a news conference with Molins.

The prosecutor described 33-year-old Sydney, sentenced in 2008 to two years in prison for drug trafficking, as a "delinquent who converted to radical Islam." He said others in the cell indicated they wanted to return to "the land of jihad."

A statement from President Francois Hollande praised the police for the raids and said the state would continue to "protect the French against all terrorist threats."

Last month's firebombing of the grocery, in a Jewish neighborhood outside Paris, happened on Sept. 19, the same day a French satirical paper published crude caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad. Anti-Western protests were also growing at the time against an anti-Islam film. One person was slightly injured, but the attack came after a summer of what residents described as growing anti-Semitic threats.

France, which has the largest Muslim population in Europe, is trying to contain the spread of a radical Islam hostile to Western influences.

The prosecutor was careful not to draw direct links between Saturday's arrests and Mohamed Merah, a young Frenchman of Algerian descent who died in a shootout with police in March after the killings in the south of France. That attack terrorized the French Jewish community, which has since ramped up security in many parts of the country.

Merah had studied at an Islamist paramilitary camp in Pakistan and claimed ties to al-Qaida. Molins said officials did not believe the men arrested Saturday had trained abroad, but cautioned that the investigation was ongoing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
This isn't a surprise, but I wish it was:

http://news.yahoo.com/1-dead-10-arrested-anti-terror-sweep-france-160231101.html

You're not making sense to me. Why aren't you not surprised?. Surprised of what??
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been escalating with Muslims in France for a while now, more violence and death is what doesn't surprise me. There's a lot of wrong on both sides, muslim and non-muslim, but I'm pretty sure it's only going to get worse. I would not be surprised if there was a significant event in the next few months, like a truck loaded with bombs driven into the Louvre or something of that kind of scale. I doubt and hope it fails, but I'd honestly be more surprised if something horrible doesn't happen in the next few months, especially with major Christian and Jewish religious events coming up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think that?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the last sentence. If you're looking for something more precise, well I can't offer it, call it gut instinct.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Re-read the last sentence. If you're looking for something more precise, well I can't offer it, call it gut instinct.

In other words you're speaking out of your ass, and when countered by folks who knows the local situation way better, fall back on commonplaces.

Since you're so clairvoyant, do you think it's time to buy more facebook shares?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 632, 633, 634 ... 825, 826, 827  Next
Page 633 of 827

Jump to: