welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1063, 1064, 1065 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single motherfucker I speak to in this club is lying to me and trying to steal from me in one way or another.

Sacked the promo guy tonight, who was the main culprit.

The girls I have working here are distractingly hot/beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a story.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not very interesting. The girls are gorgeous though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ So the cruise I won was awesome. + Had a blast. - Came home, two days later I have a nasty cold. - Which I most likely got from someone on the boat or airplane... Sad
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+/- Monday is going to be my birthday.
+/- Going to be 33.
- I have no idea what to buy myself. It is usually rare and fantastic. But, considering my budget, I am somewhat at a loss.
+ Newspaper column is doing fine! Lots of positive vibes going on.
++ Birthday means birthday cake! And that means chocolate! Maybe a Boston creme pie. Or something I did a few years back and a extra chocolatey cake.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ New car! Well, it is Chris's primary transport but it is me too. And my little Versa will get a break from all the long trips.
- Car payments. They are high. Doable but high. We are going to have to cut some entertainment and his savings isn't going to grow.
+ ZOMG a working vehicle is wonderful.
+ AND I think our relationship can only benefit from the removal of his stress about driving to and from work (he has to decompress for like an hour and I don't blame him a bit but it certainly cuts into cuddle time).
- Car payments.
+/- I cosigned. Really this is more of a neutral to me.
+ Not only is my credit rating _Significantly_ higher than I thought, but the finance guy pulled a miracle to get us down to 4.9% interest.
- Still $350 a month.
+ CAR! Got a Chevy Cruze.

+ THEORETICALLY, with this and where my credit is now, we can be in house buying position in a year. Not that we plan on it and we may not even be there for money but _credit_ wise it is possible.

Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last week POS car overheated. Like "you'll die if you don't stop this car" bad. I was five minutes from my friend's house; to get back took 2.5 hours (short hops, running until redline and then stopping to cool for a while). She was away for another two hours beyond that, and had to drive me home the next day.

After research, tried adding coolant to the radiator directly (it's a Subaru, and the first non-domestic car I've owned). It took over a gallon. Pretty sure that I didn't fill it properly when I replaced the thermostat about two months ago. Why it took two months to become a problem is a mystery.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run better now? I'm surprised if you were low on coolant by more than half that it took that long*... you sure you don't have a coolant leak?

* Based on my Subaru, which holds 7.4qts of coolant.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it runs "normal" now. When filling it the first time (2 months ago) it took one gallon and wouldn't bubble down to allow more. we thought it was just done, tho the book said it would take two gallons. Should have checked it later, really.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Ok due to me having cruise head still then getting sick two days after coming home from the cruise I totally procrastinated studying for my humanities course. (Or read that as I'm a bad student -- whichever)

+ I did study four hours before the test for four hours.

- I could literally count how many I knew I had wrong when I turned it in.

+ It's not as many as I thought it was going to be.

- It's still enough to give me a B and not an A.

- I'm a bad student because I'm doing this all over again with my logic class and homework that's due today. Ugh!
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh, I get busy for a few weeks and the forum explodes in a cataclysm of ember-related douchebaggy and ripostes.

Anyways:
- Very busy few weeks
+ Lots of overtime!
++ Seriously, I have banked over 2 weeks in time in just a few days, and can take a 5 week vacation were I to choose (and have it approved)
+ Got PAX east 3 day passes! Two of them! A good use of my banked time!
- Girlfriend doesn't really want to go.
+ Which I thought was likely, means gamers weekend away coming up in march!
+/- Gotta find a +1 therefore.
+ I know a decent number of nerdly people, so I should be able to find someone.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liebot..what is the saddest thing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, life just seems to be ups and downs lately.

++cable guy actually came on time!
++++and there was nothing wrong with the cable! it just needed someone on the other end of the phone who could actually do something, apparently.
+++which left me with a really early start on the day!
---which i nonetheless frittered away.
--greeted with an email at work announcing that all employees who were previously paid monthly will now be paid biweekly.
----spent years getting all my bills to come due at the first of the month. yeah, i know, just save the off paychecks and you can pay everything at once, except it never really seems to come out even.
-------"this will also include transitioning to MyTimeEntry, the time keeping system currently used by a majority of Campus." which apparently means entering all your hours every day. which is really, really stupid, because i'm not an hourly employee. i don't get overtime when i work extra, but i bet anything you'll find a way to dock me if i come in under 8. and you damn sure better not expect me to track them by budget number, because that's not the way things really work.

damn, i wish i could retire already. stupid university.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I _think_ that when I charge time out to a job it actually goes to the job's budget even though I am salary. Seems a bit more weird at a University.

- Headache still here! Week 2!
+ Flu shot hasn't made me sick yet (last time, I was feeling bad within 2 hours of receiving the shot).
+ Flu shot seems to have countered the headache. I have no idea how this works but I will take it!

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i worked for a private company, my hours were directly billable to a client. the university is more weird, and i think it's because money from the grants is sort of in big chunks, and then it has to be spread around to cover everything more or less evenly for the entire time of the grant, even though the work for the grant is less even. so for example: i used to work on a state survey. i was generally on for 50% time. the grant period was for 3 yrs. generally, the first year was survey design, maybe some preliminary analyses - less than 50% time. and also complicated by the fact that we usually had to start on that _before_ the contract got finalized, so everything was in place to meet the timelines. 2nd year would start off with nothing (when the survey was in the field) - then once the data came in, i would be working 100% time, or pretty close to it, until the report was done. and then i did very little for the rest of the contract period - or at least until the report and data were released, at which time i would intermittently need to answer questions, or supply people with data, or whatever. which goes on long after the contract is over.

anyway, the short answer is, what contracts i am on in any given month tends to be a function of a) who has money and b) what grants need to be drawn down, while the work i do depends on 1) what deadline is closest and 2) which project is the busiest. i expect it all evens out in the end, but week-by-week, not so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1063, 1064, 1065 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1064 of 1133

Jump to: