welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10/9 expert mode walking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:
She has the 'moe' thing down to an art.

Facepalm at me. Just realised the word 'moe' doesn't mean what I thought it meant. I was referring to the type of characters in anime that are overly cutesy and clumsy. But according to Wikipedia it's referring to the FANS who like those type of girls. Bleh. Well that will teach me to use random words.

the usage you're referring to is now more common so you were basically correct
Hydro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five pairs of pumps and I know how she feels.
Mr. Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel 3: She is falling back and logic says she will land on her back.

Panel 4: She landed on her front.

My guess for what would have been panel 3.5: A slow motion matrix style backflip that is about to end in a crash landing. Her face saying "aww fu-"
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have balance reflexes to keep yourself balanced by throwing your weight in the opposite direction from which you're falling. When you begin to fall backward your abdominal muscles are extended and your back muscles are flexed. Your balance reflex then inhibits the abdominal muscles and excites the back muscles, causing you to lean forward. If you overextend, or if you're on uneven ground (or wearing new heels), you fall on your face.

Exercise, for some reason, makes balance better, even if it's not balance related. Something to do with muscle tone and twitch response. Athletic people have better balance. So maybe this devil girl just needs to run more.
Ember778

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You have balance reflexes to keep yourself balanced by throwing your weight in the opposite direction from which you're falling. When you begin to fall backward your abdominal muscles are extended and your back muscles are flexed. Your balance reflex then inhibits the abdominal muscles and excites the back muscles, causing you to lean forward. If you overextend, or if you're on uneven ground (or wearing new heels), you fall on your face.

Exercise, for some reason, makes balance better, even if it's not balance related. Something to do with muscle tone and twitch response. Athletic people have better balance. So maybe this devil girl just needs to run more.

That's not true about exercise. Not at all. Developing your erector spinae and core abdominals along with your obliques can help you balance from core strength, but won't make your reflexes better.

Also running wouldn't do shit. Movements of running include hip flexion, extension, and abduction, knee extension, plantar flexion, spine rotation and lateral flexion, and dorsal ankle flexion.

Unless she plans on running in heels it wouldn't help her balance. Continuing to walk in heels would help develop muscles used and train the muscle memory though.
sunember123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Chicken wrote:
Panel 3: She is falling back and logic says she will land on her back.

Panel 4: She landed on her front.

My guess for what would have been panel 3.5: A slow motion matrix style backflip that is about to end in a crash landing. Her face saying "aww fu-"

So.. Fern is secretly Neo Shocked?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember778 wrote:
Dogen wrote:

That's not true about exercise. Not at all. Developing your erector spinae and core abdominals along with your obliques can help you balance from core strength, but won't make your reflexes better.

Also running wouldn't do shit. Movements of running include hip flexion, extension, and abduction, knee extension, plantar flexion, spine rotation and lateral flexion, and dorsal ankle flexion.

Unless she plans on running in heels it wouldn't help her balance. Continuing to walk in heels would help develop muscles used and train the muscle memory though.

Aw, you're adorable, Ember. You've probably been waiting to correct me for weeks! The only way you could look more excited about it is if you'd listed all of the muscles involved individually, rather than just the movement aspects of the lower limbs.

Anyway, I may have been unclear. The last little ramble wasn't intended to be comprehensive. What I meant was strength training increases reflex activity (1, 2). I left out that the improved reflex response is only in those muscles trained, and that, of course, balance in specific situations requires training using those muscles specific to that situation as well as developing a procedural memory in order to perform the action subconsciously. But then my original exposition was only three sentences long, and I wasn't really expecting anyone to even pay attention to that part of the post. Wink
Ember778

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Ember778 wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Aw, you're adorable, Ember. You've probably been waiting to correct me for weeks! The only way you could look more excited about it is if you'd listed all of the muscles involved individually, rather than just the movement aspects of the lower limbs.

Anyway, I may have been unclear. The last little ramble wasn't intended to be comprehensive. What I meant was strength training increases reflex activity (1, 2). I left out that the improved reflex response is only in those muscles trained, and that, of course, balance in specific situations requires training using those muscles specific to that situation as well as developing a procedural memory in order to perform the action subconsciously. But then my original exposition was only three sentences long, and I wasn't really expecting anyone to even pay attention to that part of the post. Wink

Considering running isn't strength training, and reflex response is actually hindered with hypertrophy of muscles your post really holds no merit.

Also citing sports medicine journals is cute. I once read a cute article in a sports medicine journal about CNS stimulation which was waaaaay wrong.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, man, I'm going to go with the academic journals again. Because they're academic journals... and you're a guy who can't even answer a simple question about filibusters and cloture. Wink
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironically, in this case cloture would require only one vote, too

so to speak
Ember778

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
ironically, in this case cloture would require only one vote, too

so to speak

You're welcome
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i guess we're adding "irony" to that list of things Ember doesn't understand
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome
Ember778

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
you're welcome

Illusion of superiority? That's interesting. I never thought having a bunch of money, being in better shape than most people, graduating with a degree in something which most consider one of the hardest majors, and having good relationships with people (friends, family, and such) meant that I wasn't actually superior.

Who knows though, maybe I'm just in a coma.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i guess we're adding "Dunning-Kruger" to the list of things Ember doesn't understand

show of hands, who saw that coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: