welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 635, 636, 637 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cixelsyD wrote:
Link to a InfoWars article, so take it with a grain of salt.

"A leaked U.S. Army document obtained by Wired Magazine characterizes people “frustrated with mainstream ideologies” as potential terrorists, while also framing those who “believe in government conspiracies” as violent radicals."

I thought that "demonizes other freely" was quite hypocritical of a list that marks people as terrorists, but what do I know? According to this list I should be locked up forever.

infowars? reeeally? I mean not dissing the original wired-piece but I have a hard time caring about what Alex "I was Glenn Beck before it was cool" Jones thinks. About anything. Or anyone associated with him.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say it amuses me that "Verbally indicates hatred for the United States and/or the Constitution" is considered as serious as "stores and collects mass weapons or hazardous materials".
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE HAVE THE DOCUMENTS!
Him

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cixelsyD wrote:
WE HAVE THE DOCUMENTS!

Also, while I'd hate to be on the side of the government but there was a far right militia group exposed in the military recently. And the nazi who shot up that Sikh temple got recruited while in the military. Fascist movements in general tend to draw strength from the military or actively try to infiltrate the military. Which shouldn't be so suprising.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
cixelsyD wrote:
Link to a InfoWars article, so take it with a grain of salt.

"A leaked U.S. Army document obtained by Wired Magazine characterizes people “frustrated with mainstream ideologies” as potential terrorists, while also framing those who “believe in government conspiracies” as violent radicals."

I thought that "demonizes other freely" was quite hypocritical of a list that marks people as terrorists, but what do I know? According to this list I should be locked up forever.

infowars? reeeally? I mean not dissing the original wired-piece but I have a hard time caring about what Alex "I was Glenn Beck before it was cool" Jones thinks. About anything. Or anyone associated with him.

Well here something else to consider. Many extremist groups (namely white supremacist groups) basically tell their young recruits "Join the military, learn their skills, then come back and join OUR army." Ya know, for the "impending race war" or "collapse of America" or whatever other bullshit they feed their ignorant, gullible members. Viewed from this perspective, the army having such a document for internal investigation makes more sense. If I were one of these extremist, and I caught wind of this document, I might "leak it" in order to undermine the efforts of those trying to catch me/find me.

Think of it this way, this sort of protocol might help them catch the next Timothy McVeigh before he or she takes innocent lives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmasking Reddit's Violentacrez, the Biggest Troll On the Web

I've been kind of peripherally interested in the idea of online anonymity and how people are so rabidly defensive of it (especially when they - people in general - are considerably less defensive of the same right offline [see PATRIOT Act]). I got into a long argument on HuffPo with a guy because he saw outing people's identities online as far worse than posting creepy pictures of women on r/CreepShots. I saw moves to protect redditors who expose women as a hobby to be ironic (though, in both cases, I feel they're morally wrong while technically legal).
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that article explains why. of course that guy thought taking away anonymity on the internet was vastly worse than posting creepy pictures of women. anonymity is what lets you get away with doing that.

so i'm just going to sit here and delight in the poetic justice of it all.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymity on the internet is kind of a funny thing. By going on forums and using a username, you aren't really "anonymous". You're more "Pseudonymous".

My life is compartmentalized; I keep my life on the internet separate from my actual life. I would be highly opposed to anyone attempting to draw links between me and my internet "persona". Not because I do creepy things (I generally just play a lot of games and do web development work), but because I would find it creepy that other people could find my address, my phone number, and other personal information.

Case in point, why keeping your online and your real-life seperate:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20114090-501465.html

Also: Did you know that when you register a domain name, they ask for your name, address, phone numbers, emails, etc? I ended up paying $15 just yesterday for a privacy company to register the domain in their name so people can't do a whois lookup and find out my personal information (The site hosts a Java Applet that generates random numbers btw... nothing creepy, unless Middle-Square pseudorandom number generators creep you out).

Not to mention some of the people I play video games with, while perfectly fine people to have a round of TF2 with or play some LoL, are not people I would want to have my phone number. Otherwise I'd be getting prank calls at 2AM all the time.

That being said, I don't feel a hell of a lot of sympathy for the person that Dogen was mentioning because posting random pictures of women is creepy as hell... and while it might not be illegal (although I haven't seen the pictures so I don't know the content... I don't Reddit), according to http://ambientlight.ca/laws/overview/what-can-i-publish/ , you could be sued if the person who was photographed could make a case that it harmed them in some way, be it emotional, monetary or physically.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy to see someone doing that. Obviously they knew each other beforehand, so how off the hinge was that guy to just go over and choke him? WTF Ha ha...

To your second point, I have a website for a webcomic I did when I first started college still registered. I know my info is attached to it, albeit the wrong address, etc now, but I have never changed it. But then again, I HAVE given out things like my cell number to people I play with online. Especially for playing WoW. I top-end raided with others, and in particular my fellow healer and our raid leader had my number so we could figure out if someone wasn't going to show. But I guess that's unique from games like LoL and TF2.

It makes me realize I never valued my own privacy all that much. Heck, at one point I didn't expect any at all. My wife was originally wanting to be an actress, and not in the ditzy "hee hee I want to be a star" way either. She just loved to act, and was...just amazing at it! She can still jump back in forth between personas so fast and believable it's insane. Not to mention she's so quick witted, she comes up with things on the fly and is a very memorable person. I really had no doubt she could actually make it, because everyone who's met her, even random strangers, seems to remember her. And yet, she decided she wanted nothing to do with Hollywood, and that acting in general wasn't as smart of a career. So...now she's a doctor. =P People from out home that find out she didn't go into acting are always surprised at the change. Wow, this anecdote went on too long...all to say, at one point I expected no privacy. >.> Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treat the internet like a loaded gun. Respect it, don't try to do anything with it I might regret later. I know I'm just one pissed off Sinfest-loving anti-feminist mouthbreathing hacker away from having this name and my real name and address connected (although I move so often they might end up harassing random people). I don't do anything online that would ruin my life if it got out. I like to think that if I felt totally anonymous that I would still act the way I do, but I don't know. I've never felt truly anonymous.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
"If Obama gets elected, all 7,000 of you are fired," says CEO.

Koch Industries president Dave Robertson implicitly warning that "many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences" of voting for President Obama and other Democrats in the 2012 elections

If the top execs for Koch took a combined $100,000,000 pay cut, that would put $2000 in the pockets of those $50,000. According to Forbes they have an annual revenue of $98,000,000,000. But ya know, it HAS to be those 50,000 employees that suffer, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...straight up direct fear-mongering huh? You know that Romney's chances are slim when certain people resort to that.

Trying to decide if this is more or less annoying than the guy that directly threatened to fire his people (which was even mentioned in the article there). This group only went with propaganda comparatively, but on a MUCH greater scale.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on the latest legal gaffe from the UK, a guy was sentenced to three months in prison for making a sick joke about April Jones (the little girl who went missing). So I decided to research a little more and it turns out that this shit has been going on for quite a while. For example a dude was sentenced to 56 days for an allegedly racist tweet about a footballer who had a cardiac arrest on the pitch and this case dubbed the 'Twitter joke trial' where someone was told to pay a fine of £1000 for in jest tweeting 'blowing up' an airport after it'd been snowed in.

Maybe there's more, these were the ones I could find at the top of the page. What the hell is going on in the UK?
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I treat the internet like a loaded gun. Respect it, don't try to do anything with it I might regret later.

relevant: Kitteh put like ten pics of herself on Gonewild, complete with face. And recently she gets to learn that the internet never forgets!

Well, they're hot pics at least. I took somma them I think.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know (or don't remember) who that is, but I can see that happening... all it takes is for one coworker or boss or your dad or your boyfriend to see those pictures and your life could change for the worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 635, 636, 637 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 636 of 807

Jump to: