welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said to me today: "Well, I think all those sexy Halloween costumes are just pay back for Valentines Day."

It was difficult to hold my tongue. In an effort to not be fired I just said "If that were true I'da probably had a Valentines Day that didn't suck at some point" Which is unfair to the one I had that didn't actually suck completely BUT was a way better option than the string of swear words that popped into my head first.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Someone said to me today: "Well, I think all those sexy Halloween costumes are just pay back for Valentines Day."

I would not be able to survive the small talk you put up with.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Thy. That was some Dragonball-Z-level restraint right there.

Also, I feel sorry for that person's significant other.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payback. Oy vey the wording. I like your response Samsally.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahaha Dogen. It's okay, no need to pity imaginary people.

Thanks guys. The conversation went downhill from there but I was saved by some other people that were sitting near me derailing everything and talking about something else.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: over 9000 even. Reply with quote

Just keep on charging that spirit bomb Sally.

Sometimes it just takes all of our focus to keep a healthy attitude.

Is it really a surprise that the guy has no significant other?

The phrase emanates massive amounts of bitterness
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia literately redefines misogyny:

Quote:
CANBERRA (Reuters) - A fiery speech against sexism by Australia's first woman prime minister has prompted the textbook of Australian English to broaden the definition of "misogyny" to better fit the heated political debate raging downunder.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard last week used a parliamentary debate to launch a strong attack against conservative Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, accusing him of being a misogynist, and her speech has since become an Internet hit.

In response, Australia's Macquarie Dictionary, the authority on the English language in Australia, has decided to broaden the definition of "misogyny" to better match the way the word has been used over the past 30 years. The dictionary currently defines misogyny as "hatred of women", but will now add a second definition to include "entrenched prejudice against women", suggesting Abbott discriminated against women with his sexist views.

"The language community is using the word in a slightly different way," dictionary editor Sue Butler told Reuters. In her parliamentary speech, Gillard attacked Abbott, a conservative Catholic, for once suggesting men were better adapted to exercise authority, and for once saying that abortion was "the easy way out". He also stood in front of anti-Gillard protesters with posters saying "ditch the witch".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fucking CORKER of a speech.

If only she didn't propose cuts to benefits for single mothers and fail to support gay marriage and civil unions at the same time.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, fuck that cynical unhappiness -- it was a corker of a speech. As a lot of news sources say about her, she can come across as mechanical and not particularily charming reading prepared remarks, but combining her finally snapping at all the awful, ridiculous misogyny she has copped and not reading totally off a piece of paper she was amazing.

I don't know how much of this you guys get, but most recently a fucked and awful shock jock said that Julia Gillard's recently passed away father 'died of shame' because she is a 'liar'.

The speech was kicked off when Abbot, the awful goblin Opposition leader, like fucking ten days later, said the government was 'dying of shame'.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
It was a fucking CORKER of a speech.

If only she didn't propose cuts to benefits for single mothers and fail to support gay marriage and civil unions at the same time.

Just think that even conservative women are fed up with this shit. Going the right direction, though quite a bit behind.

Kenshiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in general it's getting better.
Adyon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's mostly what we talk about on the forum, that the wage gap exists due to women being talked into different careers. It's nice to see a video that DOESN'T end with "so there is no gap". I was worried there that the video was simply going to trash the idea of a wage gap there for a second.

But most of us here have in debating talked about the fact that women are constantly encouraged differently than men. It's mostly the older generation that has done this, as they have more set ideas for gender roles, and yes, because it's the older generation, this problem should likely lessen over time. To that though, he didn't cover the psychology of it well enough, but oh well. Doubt most of the Youtube population would even retain any of it then.

Also it doesn't talk about the fact that women are often not promoted the same as men, because bosses automatically assume the woman might eventually need time off for a kid. Still the same problem exists that women are thought to be the homemakers, but in this case it's continued discrimination.

The only sad part to this video is the comments yet again. (which I REALLY should stop even glancing at) One of the top comments:
Quote:
Similar to virtually every video disproving the fallacies that feminists cry, this video was a bit condescending to men...Convince men to take more responsibility with the family? Statistics are showing that there is a current INCREASE in the amount of stay at home dads (relative to more women in the workforce).
This video attempts to lighten the subject regarding women's bitching about being paid less, and in the meantime makes incorrect and disrespectful assumptions about men.

Durrhurrhurrr stating facts is now disrespectful.
(I think I borrowed HereticalRants obsession with saying things like durrhurrhurr for a moment)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have the time or energy to go into the detail it probably deserves, but I think it's awfully telling that the stereotypically 'feminine' jobs are the ones that pay less. Gosh. It's almost like that says something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/hvv2m/i_work_for_a_large_multinational_tech_company_i/
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's one of the things I liked about..um...that other job I had that I've mentioned too much. Pay was based on rank and incentive. Same as when my dad worked in the civil service -- a PM 1 was paid a PM 1's salary, f'rinstance, regardless of what they did or did not sport between their legs.

Now, luckily for me I don't have to negotiate my wages, or I'd be severely hooped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 129 of 288

Jump to: