welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRINKING NOW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what our awful beers sell for... but I know you can get a six of mediocre microbrew in bottles for $6. Good stuff is more like $8-12. So I assume Coors Light is damn near free (just pay the taxes on the aluminum can).

Darqcyde wrote:
Have you tried any of the Dog Fish Head IPA's? The 90 minute is crazy good.

Are they significantly less bitter than regular IPAs?

If you take some hops and shove it in your mouth, chew on it for a few seconds, it tastes wonderful, kind of like oatmeal. After about ten seconds of chewing it tastes like ass, which is exactly what IPAs taste like to me. I've been told that brewing is like that. The longer you boil the hops, the more of that bitter taste you get. Stouts and porters, which are served warmer ("cellar temperature") have a better, more complex flavor to me. Kind of chocolatey, coffee or nutty, sometimes smokey. I'm much more likely to enjoy the porter you linked.

To each their own, of course. I just wish more places kept more dark beers. Smile
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I just wish more places kept more dark beers. Smile

QFT.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi is really popular around here, so I decided to get some. Comes in the cutest little 135mL cans. Although serving it becomes an issue when you have to crack open a solid 2 or 3 cans to fill an average beer glass o_O
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I have no idea what our awful beers sell for... but I know you can get a six of mediocre microbrew in bottles for $6. Good stuff is more like $8-12. So I assume Coors Light is damn near free (just pay the taxes on the aluminum can).

The big macros sell for around $5 for a six pack, maybe a bit cheaper for something like PBR. But where you really make your money on those is by buying in quantity, I paid about $7 for a 12 pack of Pabst the other day. Of course, it's possible for the value conscious shopper to stretch his dollars even further by venturing into hobo-beer territory, when I want a hangover for cheap I reach for the Steel Reserve, at just under $4 for a six-pack of tallboys it's too cheap not to make some bad decisions.

Man, reading that back over really brings home how far my standards have fallen during law school. I look forward to drawing a paycheck again, so I can actually buy good beer.

-Slick
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still in PDX? I don't know how taxes differ... but I'd pay the extra $1-2 to get something like Fat Tire. I'd skip a meal once a week not to drink Steel Reserve. Wink
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Virginia, which is part of the problem (though not as big a part as going from making good money to no money). Craft beers tend more towards the $9.50-$10 range here than the $7.50-$8.50 I was used to paying in Portland. I don't know if the macros are correspondingly more expensive here because I honestly never looked at the prices for them in Portland. That said, I still buy more craft beer that's on sale or Yuengling than I do malt liquor. Steel Reserve is a beer for a specific time and place.

-Slick
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the country hasn't caught up with Portland. That's why. They can be expensive here too. Sad
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon has a retardedly small beer tax, which is part of the reason, although I'd like to think that some of it is cultural as well.

-Slick
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad day at work, and I'm out of whisky, so I'm drinking La Fin Du Monde.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Wins.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah Vox wins. Now I want to break into something fun.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sierra Nevada Floral IPA. I though about something more exotic but there is chili on the stove and it is spicy and tasty enough to stomp on the complex beers I have in the house.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Darqcyde wrote:
Have you tried any of the Dog Fish Head IPA's? The 90 minute is crazy good.

Are they significantly less bitter than regular IPAs?

If you take some hops and shove it in your mouth, chew on it for a few seconds, it tastes wonderful, kind of like oatmeal. After about ten seconds of chewing it tastes like ass, which is exactly what IPAs taste like to me. I've been told that brewing is like that. The longer you boil the hops, the more of that bitter taste you get. Stouts and porters, which are served warmer ("cellar temperature") have a better, more complex flavor to me. Kind of chocolatey, coffee or nutty, sometimes smokey. I'm much more likely to enjoy the porter you linked.

To each their own, of course. I just wish more places kept more dark beers. Smile

I thought Dog Fish Head's 45 minute IPA was anything but bitter, but that's my taste
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Steel Reserve is a beer for a specific time and place.

New York City, October 29th, 1929?
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a such good mood, that I think drinking might actually spoil it. Know that feeling?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 227 of 245

Jump to: