welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 314, 315, 316  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/hvv2m/i_work_for_a_large_multinational_tech_company_i/

So basically you think the wage gap is women's fault for not negotiating enough? Thanks for that insight, Guest.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congressman says abortions never necessary to save life of mother

Quote:
Republican Congressman Joe Walsh of Illinois said after his Thursday debate against Democratic rival Tammy Duckworth that abortions are never necessary to save a pregnant woman's life, because modern technology has eliminated the risks of childbearing.

Walsh was defending his position that abortion should be outlawed with no exceptions, which is also the Republican Party's official stance on the issue. "With modern technology and science, you can't find one instance" of a pregnant woman's life being at risk, he told reporters after the debate. "There is no such exception as life of the mother, and as far as health of the mother, same thing." He added that "advances in science and technology" meant that abortion is never necessary for the health of a mother.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update: According to The Chicago Daily Herald's Kerry Lester, Walsh said in a press conference Friday that he believes ectopic pregnancies can result in death, but did not take questions about whether he would make abortion exceptions in those cases.

But what can we expect Joe Walsh to know about women's health? He's just an ordinary average guy.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that really upsets me about these assholes in power who know nothing at all about how abortions, medicine, and women's reproductive systems work is that they keep saying this shit and essentially challenging women who have went through some serious trauma to have to talk about it publicly. If nobody does step forward they can just crow like children about being right because nobody challenged them... but when women do step forward that have been in these situations and had to make awful choices (like, for fucks sake, of COURSE women have had to choose between their own health and the baby) they are then vilified and targeted by hateful trolls.

What an awful catch 22. Haven't they made enough difficult choices already?

I'll be so happy when the elections are over.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like they've designed their entire platform around shaming women, or something.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the irony of the Republicans trying to use science as justification for outlawing a practice for religious reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Guest wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/hvv2m/i_work_for_a_large_multinational_tech_company_i/

So basically you think the wage gap is women's fault for not negotiating enough?

If your reading comprehension is that of a mental patient. Basically, read it again.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we playing the "Guest throws out a random link with no commentary at all and acts as though he's made a point we're all ignoring" game again?
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Him wrote:
Guest wrote:

So basically you think the wage gap is women's fault for not negotiating enough?

If your reading comprehension is that of a mental patient. Basically, read it again.
read it. Yawned.

Oh and the official position of the GOP is no abortion ever under any circumstances? Damn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a "random link" to do with the subject of the wage gap, you know, relevant to the subject being discussed. If your reading comprehension is higher than that of a toddler or someone who is mentally ill, you'd see the contention within that thread is not the wage gap is, and I quote, "women's fault for not negotiating enough." It's not saying that at all. Then again, I'm not expecting genius from the person who said men have total control over the media, internet and the spread of culture.

Him wrote:
read it. Yawned.

Brilliant.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, if my reading comprehension was higher i would able to read the words that are not there and magically divine from Guest what his point is

alas, i remain a mere mortal

is it really so hard for you to just say what your fucking point is? no insults. no whining. no sneering that your point is actually hidden somewhere in Comment #37895727529897915 and it's also written in Navajo and only visible in the light of the winter solstice if Mars, Neptune, and the Oort Cloud are all perfectly aligned and the blood of a live chicken has been sacrificed to the chaos gods and if you didn't find it then obviously you're an idiot. say what your point is. present a thesis statement. make a point.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Well, it's a "random link" to do with the subject of the wage gap, you know, relevant to the subject being discussed. If your reading comprehension is higher than that of a toddler or someone who is mentally ill, you'd see the contention within that thread is not the wage gap is, and I quote, "women's fault for not negotiating enough." It's not saying that at all. Then again, I'm not expecting genius from the person who said men have total control over the media, internet and the spread of culture.

Him wrote:
read it. Yawned.

Brilliant.

Do tell where the point was something other than what I said though. Not that I think you can because uhm it quite obviously is, and knowing you I'm surprised you wouldn't own up to that position. So yeah being confident at job interviews is nice and all but no that's not the explanation for the wage gap between men and women. Maybe Guest had some other angle on this, but it seems he won't tell us.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
yes, if my reading comprehension was higher i would able to read the words that are not there and magically divine from Guest what his point is

is it really so hard for you to just say what your fucking point is? no insults. no whining. no sneering that your point is actually hidden somewhere in Comment #37895727529897915 and it's also written in Navajo and only visible in the light of the winter solstice if Mars, Neptune, and the Oort Cloud are all perfectly aligned and the blood of a live chicken has been sacrificed to the chaos gods and if you didn't find it then obviously you're an idiot. say what your point is. present a thesis statement. make a point.

Well Him did attribute a point to Guest that was not made. So any beef with that is justified.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

Well Him did attribute a point to Guest that was not made. So any beef with that is justified.

with that, yeah, but he's still acting as though his point in posting this link is perfectly clear

and it's, y'know, not. is he claiming that the wage gap is actually women's fault for not pushing for higher pay/raises? is he claiming that it's because of socialization? is he claiming that it's because men tend not to look kindly on women who push for higher pay? is he disagreeing that the wage gap is there? is he disagreeing that women fail to push for higher pay/raises? could he, would he, on a boat? could he, would he, with a goat? who knows
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

In fairness, no point was made at all. I just assumed Guest posting it was tacit endorsement of the position therein. Of course now he denies that the link is making that point, but with the brilliant argument that I have reading comprehension of a mental patient.
Not sure, but I think that means he's just throwing a little rage fit again. And, more to the point, it's not really an argument is it? If what I am saying is so absolutely craycray to Guest, well why doesn't he explain what he thinks the link says then. Of course wise from previous experience I realize it's kind of unlikely that he will do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Page 130 of 316

Jump to: