welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how he's also said 'they're both engineers', as if that really means anything. Are they both civic engineers? Automotive design? Acoustical? Computer? Electrical? Industrial manufacturing? Do they get to operate trains and wear neato striped jump suits and overalls? Saying they're "both engineers" is like saying they're "both teachers", "both in law enforcement", "both professional athletes", "both scientists", etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
wait, wait, you guys are missing the essential point of thy's anecdote
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Both of my sisters are engineers

Thy Brilliance wrote:
PS: My sister gets the same wages as her male coworkers.

so: one sister gets the same wages, but the other does not.

50% OF WOMEN ARE UNDERPAID FOR DOING THE SAME JOB.

that's pretty staggering, right there.

My other sister goes to an Ivy League University and receives no wages.

But don't worry, she's on the fast track to receiving higher wages than the average male in this country, that's for sure.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Nope, can't have that.

You somehow pervert those happy thoughts and inclinations into an argument, because everything just has to be an edgy argument where wits and e-peens are measured up the wazoo.

You're addicted to that negativity you know.

i read this and then i went back and read that Times Square kiss argument from a few weeks ago and now i can't stop laughing oh god help me

I even literally pointed this out there:

Quote:
What I'm starting to enjoy is getting to wonder what you are going to bad internet psychologist diagnose me with next. Right now I engage in a constant life act to protect my 'fragile ego' and I cannot be seen to have been passionate about anything.

Before that, it was that I 'possess unhealthy degrees of spite'

Before that it was that I only respond to Thy when he 'intimidates' me.

Before that it was.. uh, iunno. it gets hazy that long ago. can't remember.

So this time around Thy's assured statement about my personal psych profile is that I am addicted to negativity

KAY GOT IT

definitely awaiting point where he tries to roll with the punches and assure me we can be best chums or whatever
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where else to put this.
We need a Republicans Hate Women thread.
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sam I got some negativity for sale man. 2 hits gets you 10. hit me up when you need some.

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

But don't worry, she's on the fast track to receiving higher wages than the average male in this country, that's for sure.

Didn't we already read this Onion article??
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: answering the occasional innocent question couldn't hurt Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Nope, can't have that.

You somehow pervert those happy thoughts and inclinations into an argument, because everything just has to be an edgy argument where wits and e-peens are measured up the wazoo.

You're addicted to that negativity you know.

i read this and then i went back and read that Times Square kiss argument from a few weeks ago and now i can't stop laughing oh god help me

I even literally pointed this out there:

Quote:
What I'm starting to enjoy is getting to wonder what you are going to bad internet psychologist diagnose me with next. Right now I engage in a constant life act to protect my 'fragile ego' and I cannot be seen to have been passionate about anything.

Before that, it was that I 'possess unhealthy degrees of spite'

Before that it was that I only respond to Thy when he 'intimidates' me.

Before that it was.. uh, iunno. it gets hazy that long ago. can't remember.

So this time around Thy's assured statement about my personal psych profile is that I am addicted to negativity

KAY GOT IT

definitely awaiting point where he tries to roll with the punches and assure me we can be best chums or whatever

Are you simply blissfully unaware of how those statements are pretty much describing the same general concept sam?

Do me a favor sam, and set up a mirror next to your monitor and LOOK AT YOURSELF while you post.

Hell, a simple webcam would do the trick, just open a mini window showing yourself in the corner or something.

Make note of what you smile at, or any expression that deviates from your self image.

You won't be able to make a straight face when I ask you how the hell does the sinfest subforum (you know, the one about the webcomic) have a 29 page topic about ember.

Am I to believe that negativity has nothing to do with that?

As for your buddy comment, I have always tried to help you out if you ever needed something, and I believe actions speak louder than words.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you blaming sam for my thread Thy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: "you" is not necessarily a singular pronoun you kn Reply with quote

Who said that that particular criticism applies only to sam monkey?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats your point then?

I don't really care what your point is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Didn't we already read this Onion article??

Bah, you're just a woman AND an engineer, what insight could you possibly offer to the current conversation? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eiden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy once also accused me of being essentially inhuman due to my appreciation of bad posters getting called out on their dumb, ignorant statements. I think it can be readily observed that Thy is not exactly possessed of a good sense of the psychology of people or his own limitations in being able to diagnose others on a fundamental level, but his mindset is so far removed from the norm in a way which makes him believe he understands these things, and he will not be persuaded otherwise.

But I will take it further: Thy is not really capable of being engaged, rationally, on a number of subjects at all and I think it is the responsibility of other posters to recognize where that point is.

And right now, appropriate to a thread on feminism, he is appropriating his female siblings and speaking on their behalf, as a male, to make an argument based on them being counterpoints against a lack of pay parity between genders. He does not specify really what he thinks his sisters prove as anecdotes about this, we will never know what their opinion on the subject *informed by their own experiences as women* is, we cannot trust Thy to accurately relay that understanding even if he assures us it is absolutely the position of his sisters, and he will be unable or unwilling to coherently expand what the point of bringing his sisters up as anecdotes proves, as part of the overall symptoms of being unable to be engaged rationally. Earlier he tried to explain really understanding what being alive really is as being an example providing a euphoric means for it being excusable to force yourself, physically, on others, like the woman in the iconic photo, even when this is unwanted physical contact.

The worst part is that it is going to be about impossible to present to him any sort of understanding why he is actually pretty offensive.

I would actually be pretty happy if posters here engaged in the practice of a standard reply to Thy, something like "Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations".

Repeated as often as needed, persistently. I would like to start doing it. I would prefer if others joined me. It seems a little dry, but honestly he has said some really creepy things in this thread already and I think some of his statements have become uncomfortable enough to be pushing me towards WheelsOfConfusion's idea that Thy should not be engaged.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
I would actually be pretty happy if posters here engaged in the practice of a standard reply to Thy, something like "Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations".

Seconded.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yknow, I actually find being psych 101ed by Thy kind of amusing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you looking at yourself in a mirror when you typed that? Because if not, there's no way to tell whether you enjoyed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 133 of 314

Jump to: