welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3527
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Thy once also accused me of being essentially inhuman due to my appreciation of bad posters getting called out on their dumb, ignorant statements. I think it can be readily observed that Thy is not exactly possessed of a good sense of the psychology of people or his own limitations in being able to diagnose others on a fundamental level, but his mindset is so far removed from the norm in a way which makes him believe he understands these things, and he will not be persuaded otherwise.

But I will take it further: Thy is not really capable of being engaged, rationally, on a number of subjects at all and I think it is the responsibility of other posters to recognize where that point is.

And right now, appropriate to a thread on feminism, he is appropriating his female siblings and speaking on their behalf, as a male, to make an argument based on them being counterpoints against a lack of pay parity between genders. He does not specify really what he thinks his sisters prove as anecdotes about this, we will never know what their opinion on the subject *informed by their own experiences as women* is, we cannot trust Thy to accurately relay that understanding even if he assures us it is absolutely the position of his sisters, and he will be unable or unwilling to coherently expand what the point of bringing his sisters up as anecdotes proves, as part of the overall symptoms of being unable to be engaged rationally. Earlier he tried to explain really understanding what being alive really is as being an example providing a euphoric means for it being excusable to force yourself, physically, on others, like the woman in the iconic photo, even when this is unwanted physical contact.

The worst part is that it is going to be about impossible to present to him any sort of understanding why he is actually pretty offensive.

I would actually be pretty happy if posters here engaged in the practice of a standard reply to Thy, something like "Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations".

Repeated as often as needed, persistently. I would like to start doing it. I would prefer if others joined me. It seems a little dry, but honestly he has said some really creepy things in this thread already and I think some of his statements have become uncomfortable enough to be pushing me towards WheelsOfConfusion's idea that Thy should not be engaged.




As evidenced by your first statement, you enjoy watching people get bullied. Bravo, your opinion is already worthless.

I'd love to hear whether you actually attend feminist conferences.. at all.

I must assume that you are satisfied by your armchair activism on this forum, and simply don't have the work ethic to actually make a difference in the world.


Meanwhile, Thy has successfully tutored and encouraged entire classes of kids of all races and genders to become engineers.

My teaching methods (much like myself) are obscure and weird, but they are damn effective.

Your ignorance of reality astounds me.

Do you really believe you are engaging anyone on this forum when you post anything online?

You don't talk about yourself at all.

I wonder if you are afraid of being made fun of.

Feel free to boast of your accomplishments.

It's a far better way to improve your self-esteem than by putting others down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3272

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullying is basically how social norms are implemented and enforced first off. Second off, let us separate ridicule and bullying. After all it isn't as though we're following people around the internet continuing to harass them. (Though I kind of agree that the picture of Ember that made its way to the forum was probably going a bit too far)

Second off I for one don't share details about myself much because frankly I made what success I have despite my damage and I feel little need to receive either pity or accolades for the things I do outside of this forum from people I will likely never meet, though I do appreciate the well wishes I received when my Dad was going through his health problems.

If you're really interested in me sharing I could probably be convinced to dump my baggage off, I don't think anyone would really be happier for it though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6022
Location: California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, the conundrum is that Thy is so untrustworthy about so many other things that he can't really be trusted when he talks about all the people he transforms into engineers (presumably deploying amazing powers of persuasive argument and writing that he chooses to use approximately none of the time on Sinfest) and the feminist conferences he attends (where he no doubt regales everyone about the inalienable right a euphoric man has to a woman's body) and blustering about how nobody talks about themselves (as if there is not an entire section of the forum where people pretty much do exactly that)

so, yeah, Thy, about your own life? not something i trust you to relate honestly and competently, and not interested in your interpretation thereof.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Gary



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 6223
Location: Some pub in England

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this mammoth thread was about feminism, not Thy. I should pay less attention.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10261
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Eiden wrote:
Thy once also accused me of being essentially inhuman due to my appreciation of bad posters getting called out on their dumb, ignorant statements. I think it can be readily observed that Thy is not exactly possessed of a good sense of the psychology of people or his own limitations in being able to diagnose others on a fundamental level, but his mindset is so far removed from the norm in a way which makes him believe he understands these things, and he will not be persuaded otherwise.

But I will take it further: Thy is not really capable of being engaged, rationally, on a number of subjects at all and I think it is the responsibility of other posters to recognize where that point is.

And right now, appropriate to a thread on feminism, he is appropriating his female siblings and speaking on their behalf, as a male, to make an argument based on them being counterpoints against a lack of pay parity between genders. He does not specify really what he thinks his sisters prove as anecdotes about this, we will never know what their opinion on the subject *informed by their own experiences as women* is, we cannot trust Thy to accurately relay that understanding even if he assures us it is absolutely the position of his sisters, and he will be unable or unwilling to coherently expand what the point of bringing his sisters up as anecdotes proves, as part of the overall symptoms of being unable to be engaged rationally. Earlier he tried to explain really understanding what being alive really is as being an example providing a euphoric means for it being excusable to force yourself, physically, on others, like the woman in the iconic photo, even when this is unwanted physical contact.

The worst part is that it is going to be about impossible to present to him any sort of understanding why he is actually pretty offensive.

I would actually be pretty happy if posters here engaged in the practice of a standard reply to Thy, something like "Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations".

Repeated as often as needed, persistently. I would like to start doing it. I would prefer if others joined me. It seems a little dry, but honestly he has said some really creepy things in this thread already and I think some of his statements have become uncomfortable enough to be pushing me towards WheelsOfConfusion's idea that Thy should not be engaged.




As evidenced by your first statement, you enjoy watching people get bullied. Bravo, your opinion is already worthless.

I'd love to hear whether you actually attend feminist conferences.. at all.

I must assume that you are satisfied by your armchair activism on this forum, and simply don't have the work ethic to actually make a difference in the world.


Meanwhile, Thy has successfully tutored and encouraged entire classes of kids of all races and genders to become engineers.

My teaching methods (much like myself) are obscure and weird, but they are damn effective.

Your ignorance of reality astounds me.

Do you really believe you are engaging anyone on this forum when you post anything online?

You don't talk about yourself at all.

I wonder if you are afraid of being made fun of.

Feel free to boast of your accomplishments.

It's a far better way to improve your self-esteem than by putting others down.


Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eiden



Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 400

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
of course, the conundrum is that Thy is so untrustworthy about so many other things that he can't really be trusted when he talks about all the people he transforms into engineers (presumably deploying amazing powers of persuasive argument and writing that he chooses to use approximately none of the time on Sinfest) and the feminist conferences he attends (where he no doubt regales everyone about the inalienable right a euphoric man has to a woman's body) and blustering about how nobody talks about themselves (as if there is not an entire section of the forum where people pretty much do exactly that)

so, yeah, Thy, about your own life? not something i trust you to relate honestly and competently, and not interested in your interpretation thereof.


That's exactly it in two halves. Half one is that he has to be actively distrusted because of his behavior, which has been played out openly recently by how he made the claim about the girl in the photo slapping the guy after being kissed. He claims it based on his own authority. When called out on his authority and asked for a citation, citing a book, then running from the issue when it becomes evident he can't say the book he cited says anything to back up his "fact" -- yet still it is insulting to him that others do not accept his claim.

Half two is how he said he would defend to the death the notion that it is acceptable to indiscriminately grab and kiss people against their will, because it can happen euphorically and without any malicious intent, and as long as it happens without any malicious intent it is okay something that should be understood and accepted, probably because it is an "essential expression of existence".

This is NOT okay. This is creepy and weird. This is advocating the rights of others to physically assault you based on THEIR mental state, that it should be forgiven because THEY are okay with it. No, no, no.

Half one is just annoying and I suppose would just have gone on forever. Half two makes Thy actively concerning to address, especially if he would like to boast any credibility in speaking to women's issues, and speak on behalf of women in any capacity. Since this is a thread on feminism *specifically*, I am compelled to point out why this is as bad as it is and what it means in terms of how Wheels of Confusion was right. Which is the only reason I'm revisiting it *at all*.

So, thank you for putting it so perfectly, "the inalienable right a euphoric man has to a woman's body". It is as bad as it sounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3527
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Check ya privilege yo. Reply with quote

Untrustworthy?

Ha.

Hilarious.





Fireman saves a baby's life. The euphoric mother hugs the fireman without his permission.

Eiden wrote:
LOL NO PHYSICAL ASSAULT CREEPY AND WEIRD


Idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are all expressions of euphoria equal? I mean, you're asserting that hugging someone who saved your baby and kissing a total stranger are essentially identical situations. Everyone else is saying (or will be saying) that they aren't.

Now, you're a logical guy, right? You know what makes an analogy work. All relevant similarities and no relevant dissimilarities. Spending about ten seconds thinking about them, I came up with four relevant dissimilarities (context, awareness, dynamic, and gender roles). I'm thinking this is a bad analogy.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suds



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:

Half two is how he said he would defend to the death the notion that it is acceptable to indiscriminately grab and kiss people against their will, because it can happen euphorically and without any malicious intent, and as long as it happens without any malicious intent it is okay something that should be understood and accepted, probably because it is an "essential expression of existence".


"One eminently orthodox Catholic divine laid it down that a confessor may fondle a nun's breasts, provided he does it without evil intent." - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3714
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Check ya privilege yo. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Untrustworthy?

Ha.

Hilarious.





Fireman saves a baby's life. The euphoric mother hugs the fireman without his permission.

Eiden wrote:
LOL NO PHYSICAL ASSAULT CREEPY AND WEIRD


Idiot.


Yeah, I don't know if it really works unless the euphoric mother is tongue kissing the Fireman.

a euphoric hug of immense GRATITUDE FOR THE PERSON vs. euphoric pash of immense gratitude to be home?

If the sailor grabbed and tongue kissed whoever signed the order for him to come home then okay, it makes more sense.

One time on the bus a girl was talking on her phone and hung up and really excitedly said she just got a job she really wanted and just had to tell someone. If she had turned around and hugged me it would have been weird, but still okay. If she'd stuck her tongue down my throat then I would've had a fairly serious problem with that.

I'm not really sure how we even got back to this argument, but I'm pretty sure it's not your fault, so maybe don't get baited into it again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6022
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kilgore



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2833
Location: Portland, Or

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if we can get away from arguing with Thy about whether or not Thy is worth arguing about, I thought this was an interesting take on a small portion of the whole wage premium debate.
_________________
"Whatever afflicts thee, their asses I shall kick"

-Slick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10261
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
So if we can get away from arguing with Thy about whether or not Thy is worth arguing about, I thought this was an interesting take on a small portion of the whole wage premium debate.

Wasn't there a study done some years ago that showed that a disproportionate number of CEO's were sociopaths?
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3527
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered Shadow proof btw.

That shut him up entirely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6022
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy: We do not trust you have a credible overall understanding of this subject and we are not interested in hearing your interpretations

by the way quasi-threatening me is probably not going to help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 135 of 288

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group