welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 642, 643, 644 ... 811, 812, 813  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN other news, of actual really evil bastards:

OCTOBER 25--A New York City cop allegedly discussed plans to “kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat the body parts of a number of women,” according to a felony complaint unsealed today in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

He also had two accomplices. I'm taking a class in horror/mystery/suspense genre writing, so Imma thinking using this for my screenplay I have to write this month. It only needs to be 7-9 pages, basically the opening scene, but I think I might run with this and see where it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Yeah but when a US-survey says that a third of the populace support taking away black people's right to vote you wouldn't point out that they neglected to mention that it means the other two thirds clearly don't support that?

No, I would die crying

um well actually

and i'm prooooouuuuuuuuuuud to be an American...
Eiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a bit different than a third of americans saying blacks should not be able to vote.

Thankfully. A little.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not different enough to stop me from feeling very very depressed
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

It isn't comparable because one is infinitely more likely than the other. The point of you comparison was claiming that further annexations by Israel would be completely unlikely. They are not. And the attitude taken in those polls are not irrelevant, especially since there is already ongoing israeli occupations. And a fairly recent attempt to illegalize all arab parties in israel that was thankfully shut down by the israeli supreme court.

Sure there is a prevalent racism against other jews, particularly those of ethiopian origin, as well, but the fact remains is that Israel Our Home, the party of the foreignminister of Israel, openly calls for removing arabs from israel. Indeed the piece you linked makes this case as well when talking about israel as a jewish state and the risk of too many arabs would mean many israelis see "jewishness" as more important than democracy hence the call for removing the voting rights for israeli citizens of arab origin.
Also, by "my standard"? Don't talk down to me, man. You're the one linking propaganda pieces and dodging questions.

In other news: NYPD Cop plan to kidnap, torture, kill and eat women.

Annexing the West bank is that crazy, imo. That it's a wet dream of a significant part of Israeli population doesn't make it less so. The Isreal is "jewish" land is a new part of local propaganda; even Nethanyau isn't daft enough to push something like that. You're mentioning, Av Lieberman as a rabid dog; but did you ever considered he's jsut playing a part?. He pushes for extreme, inhuman conditions, in steps in Nethanyau with lass strigen terms... but still shafting the other side up the hindparts. Bad cop, Worse cop. Works on politics too. You're seeing the goad here, not the hand wielding it.

As an aside, I will talk you down anytime I want when you're just spouting plain asshattery. Being a communist isn't an excuse for being an idiot last I heard. We've been that road before, and likely in the future too. If you write trites and trivialities, expect someone here to shove it up your arse, me or someone else.

This is Sinfest. We're smart, we don't have to be polite.

Hannibal Lecter cop.. Eww
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit the Haida Gwaii islands (More well known as the Queen Charlotte islands) today. There is a tsunami warning for the west coast of North America ranging from the Alaskan panhandle to the northern tip of Vancouver Island in BC. Also a tsunami warning for the east coast of Hawaii. This is the largest quake to hit the region since an 8.1 magnitude quake in 1949.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/canada/Tsunami+warning+after+earthquake+coast/7459520/story.html

Waves are expected to hit Tofino (Northern Vancouver Island) by 9:17pm PST, and are expected to hit Hawaii by 1:30am. Luckily geologists believe that damage will be low and any resultant tsunami is expected to be relatively small.

EDIT: All low-lying areas on the BC coast and Vancouver island are being evacuated to higher ground.

Him wrote:
Then again, I seem to remember some people on here buying the "armed terrorists"/"go back to asuchwitz" nonsense that the IDF put out after the massacre on the Mavi Mara.

You mean the one where they have video evidence of the "humanitarian aid" people pulling israeli soldiers off of the rappel line, beating them with metal poles and clubs, throwing chairs at them, and throwing one of them overboard by his webbing harness?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
You mean the one where they have video evidence of the "humanitarian aid" people pulling israeli soldiers off of the rappel line, beating them with metal poles and clubs, throwing chairs at them, and throwing one of them overboard by his webbing harness?

The thing about that video is it neglects to mention the Israeli soliders shot at them prior to the incident injuring the crew, and rapelling into the middle of an angry crowd after that is ... unwise. Not to mention that the Israeli soldiers were carrying weapons, not just paintball guns as stated, killing several of the humanitaran aid. The violence of the crew was also exaggerated by the Jewish press.

The video that Him refers to is one where the IDF doctored audio of the Mavi Marmara crew saying obviously false things like "Go back to Auschwitz" and "Don't forget 9/11 guys" making them out to be nothing more than terrorists, and in another video they falsely attribute several weapons caches onboard. The Israeli government and the IDF are slimy like that.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL police raid poker tournament with $0 buy-in, arrest organizers for owning/working in a 'gambling house'.

Quote:
A poker league that runs its tavern-based games without a buy-in was the target of a police crackdown in Florida this past weekend.

On Saturday, state and local authorities raided a monthly poker tournament at a bar in the city of Largo, after an investigation into unlawful gambling, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

The Nutz Poker League, which was running a free game open to the public at Louie’s Grill and Sports Bar at the time of the crackdown, said on its Facebook page that some of the police were in “full riot gear” and had their “weapons drawn.”

The tournament’s 140 players reportedly were told to stop what they were doing, and when the dust settled, six were arrested and accused of being involved with a “gambling house.”

Here's the statute they allegedly violated.

Quote:
849.01 Keeping gambling houses, etc.—Whoever by herself or himself, her or his servant, clerk or agent, or in any other manner has, keeps, exercises or maintains a gaming table or room, or gaming implements or apparatus, or house, booth, tent, shelter or other place for the purpose of gaming or gambling or in any place of which she or he may directly or indirectly have charge, control or management, either exclusively or with others, procures, suffers or permits any person to play for money or other valuable thing at any game whatever, whether heretofore prohibited or not, shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

What the fuck? Doesn't this make professional sports franchises illegal in Florida? I hear Super Bowl rings are somewhat valuable, and that game is played in Florida from time to time.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parents call 911 because their teenage son has a gun and is talking about suicide. Cops show up in force and a police sniper kills the kid.
Him

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Parents call 911 because their teenage son has a gun and is talking about suicide. Cops show up in force and a police sniper kills the kid.
I've been in a similar situation IRL with a guy I know. He had locked himself in with a knife and was threathening to kill himself. Someone, unwisely, called the cops. I had left before they showed up, but as I was walking down to the train an ambulance came passed me from tje direction I had just left in high speef and with the sirens off. They'd "only" shot him in the hip though soe made it through without dying.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police are, more and more often, having to act as mental health crisis responders, but they are not given additional training or funding to provide for the needs of this job or this responsibility, which is often thrust on them by states critically and direly underfunding or completely defunding mental health programs and civic infrastructure.

The short of it is the De-institutionalization Crisis Part II, and the process by which we make a system worse and ultimately more expensive and detrimental for everyone overall by starving a vital system to death to 'save money.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/us/05mental.html?_r=4&scp=4&sq=zezima&st=cse

Quote:
Police and sheriff’s departments that are already grappling with budget and manpower cuts say the situation is further straining their resources and forcing them to divert officers from their regular duties. It has also stoked fears among law enforcement officers of dangerous encounters between the police and people with severe mental illness.

the police don't want to be the mental health network. they aren't a suitable replacement for one, and they aren't trying to be. they are just stuck with it because the critical funding collapse for mental health care networks turns us into a tragic joke that they are pushed to the forefront of.
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the last sentence for buried lede of the year.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me, the last thing we need is yet another massive IP grab by Disney.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjenfutbsksodnfifbgh tispqmdjfifhsjso djwoakcndmakeofh sjdogjtbdn《critical error: shutting down》

I... uh... I don't even know.

Though if ep.7 breaks continuity with the novels (VERY easy to do given that the truce at bakura starts like five hours after the end of Jedi), and especially if it breaks the Zahn stuff, the nerd rage will... well... it will accomplish nothing, as always, but there will be a lot of it! You mark my words! There will be OVERWHELMING LEVELS OF EASILY IGNORED VITRIOL!
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

break all novel canon. maybe keep thrall. that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 642, 643, 644 ... 811, 812, 813  Next
Page 643 of 813

Jump to: