welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 346, 347, 348  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starception
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see Cloud Atlas this weekend with hubby. There were LOTS of character viewpoint changes. I'm still not exactly sure what it was I just saw. There aren't really words.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you saw yellowface.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hanks: "Me so velly velly solly!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutter the Thai version
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
you saw yellowface.

Yeah, it wasn't pretty. :/
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreck-It Ralph. awesome. succeeds by telling the bulk of the story with its own characters, which obviously parodize and reference other video game characters, but keeps the use of established video games to brief references.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph. awesome. succeeds by telling the bulk of the story with its own characters, which obviously parodize and reference other video game characters, but keeps the use of established video games to brief references.

Oh yeah? Cool! My plans just expanded from "make french toast at some point" to "make french toast and see a movie."
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
you saw yellowface.

Interesting analysis of why this use of yellowface (and whiteface - see Halle Berry) is perhaps somewhat different than, say, Mickey Rooney's yellowface. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say if I agree, but it's a counterpoint to the simplistic "lol yellowface."

Also Wreck-It Ralph was excellent. Given that it involved a packed theater full of kids, I was rather worried I'd need to make it up to my wife. Turns out, she liked it enough that I didn't.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the Mel Brooks version of To Be or Not To Be recently, pretty good, tho I realised much later it didn't have any fart jokes.

Saw Wreck-It Ralph the other day and it was frickin' hilarious.

Watching Snow White & The Huntsman finally right now and it smells so bad.
Canopus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Wreck It Ralph was pretty damn good. I watched it with some buddies with small expectations, boy was I not expecting that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave: Was so hyped up for it, the bar was raised so high I was disappointed when the latter half of the movie turned out to be average. Pretty meh after that, if it weren't for the many hilarious moments in it. Pixar knows comedy. 7/10

spoilers wrote:
Seriously, though, why a bear? It did a complete 180 in the plot, and at first I was excited watching a movie that showed a strong young woman not take shit, it practically turned into Brother Bear. Bizarre.

Total Recall: Er, yeah. What can I say? Remake, more CGI, better script, but shows Colin Farrell with a vacant expression throughout. Well made. Not a popcorn flick. 6/10

Looper: Take Terminator, Twelve Monkeys and any gangster flick, toss in a bag and shake it around. Open it up and what you get is Looper. If you think Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks wonky it's because he's wearing a prosthetic. Yeah. Fucked with me, too. Worth a watch in my opinion, but as with any time-travel movies, there's bound to be some plot holes. As you'll notice. 7.5/10
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Sam wrote:
you saw yellowface.

Interesting analysis of why this use of yellowface (and whiteface - see Halle Berry) is perhaps somewhat different than, say, Mickey Rooney's yellowface. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say if I agree, but it's a counterpoint to the simplistic "lol yellowface."

I shared this with amber. She said "yeah this is a white guy telling us that context makes it all okay" but that ultimately it is really not for reasons he does not even address.

Looking at the way they dolled up people to 'asian-ify' them with that really weird yellowface I really seriously doubt that a majority of asians in america could sit through that part of the movie and not have it make them uncomfortable. It's like, oh, ok, so this is what counts as making someone an asian in your makeup department, just ching-chong the eyes up and dump some yellow foundation on him. Sure, cool, obviously better than having an actual asian play a lead heroic savior role. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
CTrees wrote:
Sam wrote:
you saw yellowface.

I shared this with amber. She said "yeah this is a white guy telling us that context makes it all okay" but that ultimately it is really not for reasons he does not even address.

Looking at the way they dolled up people to 'asian-ify' them with that really weird yellowface I really seriously doubt that a majority of asians in america could sit through that part of the movie and not have it make them uncomfortable. It's like, oh, ok, so this is what counts as making someone an asian in your makeup department, just ching-chong the eyes up and dump some yellow foundation on him. Sure, cool, obviously better than having an actual asian play a lead heroic savior role. Gotcha.

So I suppose if movie bob was black (or better yet, of asian descent), his argument would carry more weight?

Don't answer that. Rhetorical question.

I figured it had to do with the reincarnation thing and how you're supposed to recognise them in whatever time period they appear in. Which is a talking point movie bob brings up. There is also the argument that no asian actor did the role justice, according to the vision of the directors. Who knows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 346, 347, 348  Next
Page 333 of 348

Jump to: