welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 644, 645, 646 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Just in case you were curious, science has informed us that bats give head.

I knew I saw that before: Ignobel 2010 winner in biology.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Daily Show election special has an interesting subtitle...
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't, stop, laughing...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/2012_ballot_measures

Colorado, Oregon and Washington state all have legalization initiatives on their ballots this year. I hope they all pass, but I doubt it would stop the federal government from prosecuting legal establishments. CA has had many perfectly legal medical marijuana facilities raided by the DEA since medical marijuana became legal there, both under Bush and Obama.

When you're up against the most lucrative industry in the world, the insurance industry, you're probably gonna lose. As long as there's liability, it won't be federally legal. It all rest in the power of one person:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lawsuit claims an Albuquerque, N.M., police officer stunned a 10-year-old boy with a Taser after he refused to wash the officer's car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/2012_ballot_measures

Colorado, Oregon and Washington state all have legalization initiatives on their ballots this year.

Rolling Eyes Yes, Mindslicer. But the Oregon initiative is polling poorly and the Colorado initiative is within the margin of error. The Washington initiative, on the other hand, is polling well. So there's a fairly good chance we'll be the only state to legalize it, and a near certainty that we'll be among the first.

I guess it's rude for a pedant to bust another pedant's chops, but there you have it.

Quote:
I hope they all pass, but I doubt it would stop the federal government from prosecuting legal establishments. CA has had many perfectly legal medical marijuana facilities raided by the DEA since medical marijuana became legal there, both under Bush and Obama.

Yeah, we covered that in another thread (sorry, not your fault). Mouse brought up the efforts of a US Attorney in California to prosecute medical marijuana facilities, and I imagine the same would happen in WA. That's part of the reason I don't think much of the initiative to legalize it here. Though it would still be nice if we saw arrests for possession drop. I can't see how they wouldn't, thanks to some input from Kilgore, but I'm not holding my breath (or smoking pot, actually).
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Coppedge: NASA'S JET PROPULSION LABORATORY FIRED ME FOR MY RELIGIOUS BELIEFS! DISCRIMINATION!
NASA: Nuh-uh. It's because you were lazy, combative, and we were downsizing anyway. Lots of other people got laid off. We have this whole thing documented, including complaints about your professional conduct.
Judge: OH SNAP!
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reason #1 i am glad i no longer live in oklahoma: at least james inhofe isn't my senator.
Him

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be obvious but...King County Elections has posted an announcement on its home page about the GOP trying to collect ballots, and saying, basically, don't give them your ballot.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Should be obvious but...King County Elections has posted an announcement on its home page about the GOP trying to collect ballots, and saying, basically, don't give them your ballot.

To comment section on that article is pants-on-head ridiculous. The GOP is collecting votes, gotta be election fraud, right?

To quote the King County GOP website:
Quote:
The King County GOP is excited to announce the launch of the GOP Victory Van program, an advanced Get-Out-The-Vote operation. Mobile vans will be placed in locations throughout King County and serve Republicans of the surrounding community as a ballot drop off location. For locations, please see below.

Why in the world would you drop off your democrat ballot at a "GOP Victory Van" specifically to serve a community's republicans? And what are the GOP going to do with all those GOP votes? I somehow doubt they'd throw their own votes in the dumpster.

And a couple gems from the comments:

seatackled wrote:
Is that shitbag vote suppressor Lori Sotelo involved again, or did she do us all a favor and die a painful gonnorheic death trying to give birth to a rape baby?

I have always been... East Coaster wrote:
These Republican ballot collectors should be arrested immediately.

I don't like the GOP, but the Democratic supporters are hardly too endearing either.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
reason #1 i am glad i no longer live in oklahoma: at least james inhofe isn't my senator.

"Heck, the man's last name is an obvious typo he's never got it together to fix."

Best comment ever.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
So the Daily Show election special has an interesting subtitle...

Oh wow.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Him wrote:

To comment section on that article is pants-on-head ridiculous. The GOP is collecting votes, gotta be election fraud, right?

Agreed. I don't enough information to see why this is concerning, but it's worth noting they seem to be warning both Republicans and Democrats not to give their ballots to the GOP.

Internet commenters are internet commenters. You expect them to be ridiculous, insensible, irrational, or any combination of those.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Agreed. I don't enough information to see why this is concerning, but it's worth noting they seem to be warning both Republicans and Democrats not to give their ballots to the GOP.

Internet commenters are internet commenters. You expect them to be ridiculous, insensible, irrational, or any combination of those.

I looked it up, and it would appear that 3rd-party vote collecting is not regulated at a federal level, but at a state or county level. So as long as the state hasn't legislated that votes must only be submitted via mail or official polling station, then it is perfectly legal.

Although the polling system of the US is a mystery to me. I don't quite get what all the uproar is over having to bring ID with you to vote... In Canada, you have to bring 1 piece of government issued photo ID like a drivers license, or 2 pieces of authorized non-photo ID with name and address, or you have to take and oath and have someone you know vouch for your identity. You register as a voter (although many people are already automatically registered through income taxes and government records), you go to a polling station, show your ID, and vote. Voting by mail is, as far as I know, relatively rare and usually used if you either live out-of-country at the time of the election or live far away from polling centers (places in the NWT/Yukon/Nunavut/Northern prairies).
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's because we have a long and sordid history of using "voter ID" laws to prevent minorities from voting, and minorities are disproportionately unable to produce the documentation these laws would demand from them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 644, 645, 646 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 645 of 823

Jump to: