welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/3 real mexican
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
tricksterson wrote:
I want a plaid devil girl. We can call her Scotty!

Tat should just convert this comic fully over to documenting the lives of devil people.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm, or just awesome.

Though perhaps not ENTIRELY about the devil people that'd get boring after a while. They should definitely have their own comic though.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:
Would be interesting if there was a white one....
we had once a AD&D session, where a mage was offered a bonus to choose his fireballs' colour. He though a bit and chosen transparent Smile

Ya know, I make A LOT of typos. But I gotta ask: Is English your first language?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sunember123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, he made just 3 typos. Don't be a nazi.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad grammar =/= typos. I wasn't being a grammar nazi, forget the lack of capitalization and punctuation. Try reading the sentence out loud. It's like some bad 80's video game translation.

And I was honestly asking what his or her native language is. I know for a fact that there are A LOT of non-native english speakers here. There's also A LOT of people who post when drunk/high/on meds/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a big deal to have English as a second language. I've also been assuming Arioch isn't a native speaker because his/her posts are often syntactically or grammatically unique. I don't have any trouble understanding him/her, though, so I haven't bothered to ask.

It's also true we have a lot of people with English as a second language here... but with only one or two exceptions you'd never know from their posts. Their English is as good as my English. My Dutch, sadly, is far less passable.
katara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Their English is as good as my English. My Dutch, sadly, is far less passable.

Fair enough. Dutch is a lot harder than English is. Though spelling-wise I have to say English is a total pain in the ass and Dutch at least makes sense, which is always a pleasure.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:
Would be interesting if there was a white one....
we had once a AD&D session, where a mage was offered a bonus to choose his fireballs' colour. He though a bit and chosen transparent Smile

Ya know, I make A LOT of typos. But I gotta ask: Is English your first language?

I think he's Russian. He mentioned something about Russian folklore at one point. You're right though I think he's definately not a native of any English speaking country.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It's not a big deal to have English as a second language. I've also been assuming Arioch isn't a native speaker because his/her posts are often syntactically or grammatically unique. I don't have any trouble understanding him/her, though, so I haven't bothered to ask.

It's also true we have a lot of people with English as a second language here... but with only one or two exceptions you'd never know from their posts. Their English is as good as my English. My Dutch, sadly, is far less passable.

And then there are those who type WAY different depending on their level of intoxication. Wink
Arioch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I don't have any trouble understanding him/her

Thanks, though i must admit when in haste i fail to reformulate my thoughts according to English phrase schemes, worse - i keep forgetting idioms.

For example in aforementioned folklore post i used "Little helping" in literal sense, while in English "of little help" is soft way to say "no help at all"

So in the end i'm a bit surprised you manage to understand me Smile
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you don't give yourself enough credit. The differences in the word choices you use compared to those you might wish to use, or that a native speaker would use, aren't that great. Nothing you've posted so far has been unintelligible.

Being American, I don't speak any other languages, and I think that's a shame. I understand, though, that idioms are difficult to learn and use proficiently. So, if I have any feeling about your English ability, it's one of being impressed.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I've read worse syntax Arioch, so you can relax. You make sense, it's just us grammar nazis that get twitchy. But you can feel free to ignore us. Hell even if I call myself a 'grammar nazi' my sense of punctuation is thoroughly hideous so there you go XD
Arioch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you truth, i tend to think that punctuation in English is next to non-existing.

Not that i am good in Russian punctuation, but i constantly find an urge to put a comma or too according to Russian rules, to express the phrase structure visually.

Well, the only things i know of English punctuation are that words are cut with double-dash and that paragraphs do not have special 1st line margin. In school we definitely learned all those Tenses and Irregular Verbs and such, but punctuation ? Recall nothing here Smile
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Russia Grammar corrects you Razz Sorry sorry stereotypical joke. I mean no harm by it
Arioch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there was a proposition to assemble National-Linguists Party, but they failed to get the numbers.
Intersection of two harsh criteria was minuscule Sad

;-D

But on a serious note i think it is consistent with overall English trend to simplificate the words and fix the patterns of phrase constructing instead.

With Old English and even more in Russian - and probably all synthetic languages - words order mean very little and different classes of words (like verbs vs nouns) are usually obviously different, then sometimes without hinting at phrase structure it get rather ambiguous. In analytical languages like modern English if you laid the phrase "by rules" then the punctuation (or intonations orally) does not convey much extra info.

So the difference for linguistic jokes.
English jokes tend to puzzle listener by stream where any phrase pattern might be randomly applied, like "Buffalo buffalo buffalo..."
Russian language jokes frequently take, for example, nouns but put they into form and position when they started to look and act like they were verbs.

Frankly, i see nothing comical in Buffalo, to me it is looks just like some mathematics puzzle. But if the internals patterns on English were "in my blood" from early days, then i'd probably laugh at them. Similarly i laugh at russian jokes, but you'd probably miss them completely.

And, canceling offtopic, which is great about Tat if that most of his strips are funny without regard to language used Smile
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:
Dogen wrote:
I don't have any trouble understanding him/her

Thanks, though i must admit when in haste i fail to reformulate my thoughts according to English phrase schemes, worse - i keep forgetting idioms.

For example in aforementioned folklore post i used "Little helping" in literal sense, while in English "of little help" is soft way to say "no help at all"

So in the end i'm a bit surprised you manage to understand me Smile

For reference, your English skills are WAY better than my Russian skills, which are basically non-exsistant. Also, the "rules" of English are pretty much a cluster fuck, so I can't fault non-native speakers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: