welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/13 Winter is coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Tat, you made this knitter's day. Allow me to speed-knit you a hat! *knitknitknitknitknitknitknitknitknitknitknit*

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this then? NO mittens?! Very Happy
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man - nana is _good_.

we need to make her the mascot for the sinfest knitting club.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Do it!

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Pebbles' and Lil'e's expression in the last panel Shocked...

Now, where is Nana rushing to? Wasn't she sweeping before her speed-knitting?

Maybe she is rushing to get more wool.
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
Not to mention stole free cake samples...

She's lived long enough to to know you'll never get a problem fixed if you withhold solutions until you get perfect behavior in return. You just wind up with a kid that has caught a miserable cold from being stubborn.
Arioch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJabawack wrote:
I really like Pebbles' and Lil'e's expression in the last panel Shocked...

Now, where is Nana rushing to?

Perhaps she has a thing about devil girls ? first she tamed Fyoosh, now she's taming Pebble.

Giving how spectacularly she brought down those devil bandits, perhaps she is high level Yōma in disguise
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you have diminished Fyoosh's entire storyline to "being tamed" is pretty gross.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knitting is passe.

Macrame is making a comeback.
Arioch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
The fact that you have diminished Fyoosh's entire storyline to "being tamed" is pretty gross.

Her interactions with the granny may pretty well be tagged like this.
Other sides of her story i did not related to
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets talk about why "being tamed" is kind of a hella nasty thing to say in reference to Fyoosh.

One, Granny did NOT play a major role in Fyoosh's decision to become good. Fyoosh decided to become good before Granny was even concieved as a character and long before she had met her. Granny was simply an earpiece to listen to her confessions in regards to herself - and Fyoosh would have continued the way she has regardless of whether or not Granny made her way into the storyline.

Two, that choice in phrase is kind of disgusting to use in reference to a living being with clear sentience. Like, there's more to it than simply being tamed as if she were simply a wild animal with no thoughts or emotions. Neither Fyoosh nor Pebbles are animals to be tamed. And the fact you would see their stories as simply wild animals being tamed by a sweet caring human is. Well. Kind of. REALLY. Gross...???

(Like, I know they're just fictional characters, but like, even so. That's kinda nasty.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
Knitting is passe.

that outfit is hardly protection against the chill winter winds.
Arioch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Oneponytoruleall wrote:
Knitting is passe.

that outfit is hardly protection against the chill winter winds.

That is active protection - it attracts persons craving to warm the wearer. Wink

Miss Magenta wrote:
Fyoosh decided to become good before Granny was even concieved as a character and long before she had met her.

So you take "to tame" as "to make nice and kind" or at least "to make what one (here - the granny) likes it to be"
I do not.
I take "to tame" along "Le Petit Prince" lines, to make someone trust you and need you but generally valuing the object to be what it is, rather to break it and recreate to your needs.

I looked into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taming

"Domestication ... in order to accentuate traits that benefit humans"
"whereas taming is simply the process by which animals become accustomed to human presence"
Exactly.

Even in sinfest everyone has to have a place to live and a work. I'd not be surprised (rather i'd be fond) to know Fyoosh is helping the granny to run her cafe and perhaps rents a room in it. You may say Fyoosh naturally could move into Crim's place, yet that would be kind of marriage and we did not saw anything like that yet. Also i think that Fyoosh have not many connections with people while being devil-girl, so creating bee-line with the granny would be of exceptional value to her.

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies/WingedMigration.htm
Did this guy change the personality of those wild birds, domesticated them, made them "good" from "evil" or liek that. No.
But he made them accept him, trust him, like him and probably kind of need him. That is what i call "to tame". If you dislike the verb, you can suggest another one.

Miss Magenta wrote:
if she were simply a wild animal with no thoughts or emotions

So you deny animals both thoughts and emotions ? You think they are kind of herbs ? And if i take some stray cat and tame her - it instantly gets those emotions and thoughts, and before that it was just a robot, NPC, part of pre-rendered background ?

You know, personally i think that this kind of attitude, this diminishing animals and puffing mankind off, this is gross and overly self-assured.

All the bears in russian cities streets would definitely find this idea rude and discriminating! Razz
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the fuck do all the new posters have to suck so badly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Arioch. Let me spell this all out for you since you won't get it otherwise - animals have feelings, but not the same feelings that humans do. Animals may think, but they do not think the way humans do. Animals follow instincts that humans are told not to follow. Humans are animals, but not the same way animals are animals.

Animals can't talk. They can't discuss why they feel this way, or that, they can't bargain and they can't argue. They can make sounds that give hints to how they feel - when a cat is happy it purrs but when a cat is angry it hisses. But it cannot outright say that it is happy or mad, we can only guess how it feels from the sounds it makes, but we don't know for sure. A cat can't say "I do not want to be touched right now," or "please continue petting me," while a human can.

And so can devil girls. Devil girls are ultimately, as much human as any one else. Sure, they can shoot fire from their palms and they can transform you into their own, they can summon portals in which to send you to hell. But they still can express their feelings like a human can, and as far as we know all or at least most devil girls were once human. That probably goes for all devil people in general, but we don't know for sure. But the point stands. They walk like humans, they talk like humans, most of them are shown to have been humans at some point. You can't "tame" a human, and you sure as hell can't tame a devil person.

Because they're a fucking PERSON. Taming something kind of makes it sound like you OWN them. Which is kind of gross to use in reference to a being of clear sentience. A being that can voice their opinions and say "no, I don't want this." Like I get that you're foreign, maybe these words don't have the same weight to them where you live as they do here but that isn't going to stop me from being kinda offended by your choice of words.

A better word to use instead of tame is to influence, to inspire. You can tame a wild beast that may or may not have sentience, but you can't tame a being of clear sentience like a human or even a devil person. Fuchsia was not tamed, she was inspired. She was inspired by kindness to become kinder herself. She was inspired to become so much more than she was told she could be. No one was taming her to benefit themselves, the way you so eloquently defined the word. No one had any such ulterior motives in regards to her behavior. They just acted kindly towards her, and it inspired her to act kindly towards others.

And on that note - Fuchsia already has a job. She's become a painter. If she were working with or for Granny, we would have probably seen it by now. And I think I'd rather Fyoosh not get a job, honestly. I think I'd rather see Granny work solo and Fyoosh off doing her own thing than working for some elderly mortal, honestly. Plus I'm pretty sure that it's obvious that Fyoosh has chosen to live by that tree where all of her art supplies lay, but it is possible she may rent a place to stay somewhere else. At the same time, however, I doubt it. And no, Crim and Fyoosh living together would not be "kind of marriage," maybe where you live but I'm pretty sure it's not the case over here. It might be suggestive of a non-platonic relationship, sure, but it doesn't mean that they're "kind of married," or anything. It's kind of something friends do for each other...? Like, I'm positive if "two people living together is kind of marriage" then that would mean that Li'l E and Pebbles would be "kind of married" but we know that they're not since they have shown absolutely no romantic interest in one another, and they act like siblings for the most part. I'd like it if she got a place to live somewhere that isn't connected to any specific character (be it renting a place to stay from an elderly woman, staying with the guy she is deeply enamored with, or staying with any ex-employers or co-workers) but to be totally real I don't think we're going to get any sort of focus on where she lives, wants to live, or will be living. So like. Whatever. That part is mostly my opinion though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: