welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 648, 649, 650 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Flour!!!
Finnegan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read this thread much and it is old news so this might have been posted already...also I don't have an article to link but I just heard about this and it brought me some pleasure.

For a research paper in a psychology of prejudice course, I came accross and took an interest (psychosocial interest, not ideological) the preteen twin, white supremacist, pop-folk duo known as Prussian Blue. Despite their message of hate, racism, white power, and denial of the Holocaust, the more I learned about their lives the more I came to pity them. They were indoctrinated into this "culture" or "belief system" or whatever you call at from birth, forced to play at white pride rallies by their mother who pretty much controlled their lives and their message and bullied them to stay on that message when they expressed a desire to write and perform more traditional mainstream pop music (read: not "praise hitler, the aryan nation will rise again" type songs.) Anyway I lost interest after awhile, as I am wont to do with most things that have held my interest from time to time, and lost track of their exploits and all but forgot them entirely. I ran across an article the other day profiling the girls who seem to have escaped their mother's toxic influence, denounced their former beliefs proclaiming to now have liberal political leanings, smoke a lot of post, and are reported to be more neo-hippies than neo-nazis. (though sources are questionable and I'm working from memory)and like I said, it gave me pleasure to learn how things turned out and that it was more positive than I would have expected back then (for I'm pretty convinced these 12 something year old girls were being emotionally abused or at least emotionally manipulated to conform). Plus! we also learned that if we legalize marijuana we can eliminate hate and prejudice in our youths.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Israel start another fucking war.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's just one month short of new elections with a unwanted US pres.

Business as usual; those two kids shot today, palestinian propaganda I say!. And some here wonders why Israel as liked as North Korea.
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess calling it a war would be a bit extreme, seeing as there's only really one combatant. But I don't think an Israeli invasion is unlikely. I obviously wish it'll only be some posturing and bombing and nothing more, but from what's come out so far...
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Watch Israel start another fucking war.

You can't start a war with people you've been actually waging a war against already for years.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweeting an assassination seems like bad form. Releasing a video of the act seems pretty rotten, too.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world without twinkies, zingers, and devil dogs . . .

Quote:
Hostess workers went on strike on November 9, after a bankruptcy court gave the struggling 82-year-old company the right to impose pay cuts. The baked goods company (which also makes Wonder Bread and several other iconic snack cakes) has given striking employees until 5 p.m. ET on Thursday to return to work. If they don't, on Friday Hostess plans to ask a bankruptcy judge for permission to shut down, sell their assets, and fire all employees except for the few needed to prep facilities for sale.

Hostess seems willing to make good on the threat: On Monday, Hostess closed bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis, and Cincinnati, the Associated Press reported. Customers were not affected, but about 627 workers lost their jobs.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Hostess Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said in a statement on Wednesday. A union spokesperson had no comment.

Hostess owns Drake's BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
In a world without twinkies, zingers, and devil dogs . . .

Quote:
Hostess workers went on strike on November 9, after a bankruptcy court gave the struggling 82-year-old company the right to impose pay cuts. The baked goods company (which also makes Wonder Bread and several other iconic snack cakes) has given striking employees until 5 p.m. ET on Thursday to return to work. If they don't, on Friday Hostess plans to ask a bankruptcy judge for permission to shut down, sell their assets, and fire all employees except for the few needed to prep facilities for sale.

Hostess seems willing to make good on the threat: On Monday, Hostess closed bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis, and Cincinnati, the Associated Press reported. Customers were not affected, but about 627 workers lost their jobs.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Hostess Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said in a statement on Wednesday. A union spokesperson had no comment.

Hostess owns Drake's BTW.

2012 really is the end of the world.

This explains why Tallahassee couldn't find Twinkies in the movie Zombieland.

And why the Hostess truck was filled with Sno Balls (it was unsold leftover stock).

Zombieland was prophecy!

Remember, Dick Clark died this year, too. Without him, we can no longer ring in the New Year.

Seriously though this could have a bad ripple effect on the economy.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's saying, "OMG, no more Twinkies!" Except, you know, Hostess is trying to liquidate assets. Those assets include the rights to produce its brands, including Twinkies, Zingers, etc., many of which have enough brand recognition to be highly desirable properties. I could easily see someone like Bimbo grabbing some of these and continue production. We just might have a transient shortage.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter to me either way 'cos I'm more of a Little Debbie man.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It doesn't matter to me either way 'cos I'm more of a Little Debbie man.

Cakes and pies...deception and lies....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people, people

the important thing here is, how can we blame this on Obama?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'cuz it's TOTALLY his fault 18,000 are going to be without jobs. Rolling Eyes

Also, Chris Christie won't say 'twinkie' . . . d'oh! He said it.

In all fairness, Drake's is headquartered and manufactured in New Jersey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently the Taliban accidentally CC'd their entire mailing list... revealing all who was on the mailing list to all recipients of the mailing list.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/taliban-accidentally-reveal-identities-mailing-list-members/story?id=17737950#.UKftrDDuq-I

Mostly journalists on the list, but a couple people of importance, a provincial governor, and Afghan legislator, several academics and activists and an Afghan consultative committee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 648, 649, 650 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 649 of 823

Jump to: