welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/13 Winter is coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you. (See what I did there, Arioch? Mental gymnastics. I can make myself believe anything).
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which, sadly, does not make it true
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you, Shadow. You don't have to do that, but I appreciate it.
sporko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipshits

wat r u doing

dipshits

staaaaahp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! Sporko! ...Here? With everybody watching? Are you sure that's a good idea?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're ruining all of the non-negative sentiments I previously had about this thread, Gibson.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'aw...I just wanted to see how far it would have to go for me to get his silence... ;_; Fine...I'll step back into reality again. For now.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not 'offended' about the word tame. It just bothers me the lengths Arioch is going to, to try and proove he's right and everyone else is wrong. Why not just say 'Okay thats your opinion, mines different' and be done with it?

Also for some reason he comes across like a really smug know it all. That also yanks my chain. I'm compelled to get into arguements with people like that, I can't help myself. So yes Arioch you're right, I could ignore this thread but I don't. Why? Because I'm compelled to keep arguing with you, because you annoy me. Which makes you reply and annoy me more. Vicious circle I know, but here we are.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, 'twas a shitposting contest.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post really dirty sounding stuff as it kept going and if anyone asked I was just going to say I was only talking about making clam chowder to share with everyone and that they should get their heads out of the gutter.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Shadow put up something that brought back a memory. I lived in the Philippines for a while and the people there usually study English as their second language. They pronounce "Oblige" like "oblig" and I notice that Spanish speakers do the same thing. (It's understandable of course, since it is harder for them to make the "briDGE" sound. I assume it's as hard for them as us learning how to trill the double rr's like "perro"). However, we told her it was "oblige" and not "oblig". She told us "Well, that is how we say it here" and my friend replied, "Well, that is how we say it in English speaking countries, so there you go."

TL;DR, Succubus, I see your point. Go nuts. Besides, this is all fun to read.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Oh good, 'twas a shitposting contest.

Isn't that the case with everything posted on here? Laughing

Gibson22 wrote:
I notice that Spanish speakers do the same thing. (It's understandable of course, since it is harder for them to make the "briDGE" sound. I assume it's as hard for them as us learning how to trill the double rr's like "perro"

Yeah I'm learning Spanish and I have issues with the pronounciation and my Spanish speaking friends think it's a riot.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
I was going to post really dirty sounding stuff as it kept going and if anyone asked I was just going to say I was only talking about making clam chowder to share with everyone and that they should get their heads out of the gutter.

alas! if only you'd followed through! clam chowder!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel vaguely responsible for all this.

I... I'm sorry.*

*But I don't take back that talking about taming a person has gross connotations.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch wrote:
mouse wrote:
ok, i have no idea what on earth you are talking about now. where did the fox come in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince

But the name and short extract would probably tell you nothing.
So why bother.

mouse wrote:
but you know, when you come right down to it.....i kinda gotta point out that i am a native english speaker, and you are not. so really, i think i have a better idea of the english definition of 'tamed' is. and it's not what you are trying to make it be.

I don not tell you what this word means in English, i explain you what it means in Russian and why "befriended" is probably closest concept yet still not the same. Well, probably that is not concept your language needs to express more or less often.

ok - i was sufficiently curious that i finally read "the little prince".

all i can say is, the fox's definition of 'tame' is what i would characterize as non-standard. and from everything else the fox said, i would say it did not in fact want to be tamed, it wanted love.

compare the fox's definition of how 'taming' feels, compared to how you feel towards a person you love. excited when you know you are about to see that person? things that formerly meant nothing now mean something, because you associate them with that person? and of course, you miss them and cry when they are gone. that's love, friend. that's not being tamed.

consider also the relationships between the prince and the fox and the prince and the pilot. in many ways, they are similar - the prince accustomed the pilot to his presence, the pilot grieves at his loss - just like the fox. the fox now has the wheat to remind him of the prince, and the pilot has the stars (and probably sheep). but the pilot never uses the word 'tame' in reference to the relationship - he uses the word 'friend'.

i don't know why saint-exupery used 'tame' instead of something else. i don't know if it is due a limited word-choice in french, or because french has different associations with the word than english does, or maybe just because he figures a fox wouldn't have or wouldn't want to speak the word 'love' - maybe 'tame' is the closest a fox can get. in any event, it's a choice made by the author/translator - not a definitive use of the word. it just happens to be (apparently) your only experience with it.

and yes, you have spent a lot of time in this thread insisting that 'tame' means what you think it means, not what i (and others) have told you it means. and whatever gibson thinks, 'tame' is not an appropriate word to use between two humans; it implies a relationship in which one is master and the other is demeaned. "the taming of the shrew" clearly involves humiliation of "the shrew' (even that characterization shows that people think badly of her). although you originally mentioned the word 'befriended', this is the first time you came out and said it was the closest to what you meant. you want to be careful of things like that on this forum - people are perfectly capable of remember what is said here, and will call you on it if you try to say you said something else.

and i really don't know what you mean by saying english doesn't need to express the concept of .... what? befriending? loving? needing? we have all those concepts, and even those words. i don't know whether you mean to or not, but when you say things like this, you sound dismissive and contemptuous of english, and by extension, english speakers. just because you (and sometimes even i) don't know the proper english word, doesn't mean english and the people who speak it don't have the concepts.

anyway, i have now finally read "the little prince". yay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: