welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3715
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now I'd like to make a joke about how jpegs of people holding handwritten signs gave Darqcyde polio when he was a child.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3715
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooookay and on further inspection that tumblr led to another tumblr that has several different pictures of who I believe to be the same girl -- but I guess it's still possible she wrote something different on the sign, and it was changed because of REASONS.

also figured maybe I won't put the link here because she probably doesn't need a load of referral traffic leading her to a forum full of douchebags debating over whether her sign is real or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Is it terrible just thinking about joining these discussions makes me feel tired and down?

I think everybody has that to a certain extent about a lot of topics. It's part fighting against something that has no end in sight, part compassion fatigue, I think. It's mostly on the internet for me, though. I can still get animated about pretty much anything in real life. Online, discussions last for ages and the people with the worst opinions are also the ones that will keep spouting them until they 'win' by outlasting you. Or they use every dirty trick in the book and lie their arses off while you're trying to approach the whole thing in good faith.

It's all a bit depressing, yeah.
_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, darq, /b/ will never be a valid reason to do, think or say anything. in fact, you should be doing the exact opposite of what they're doing. you're deferring your judgement to a bunch of 13-year olds
_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10360
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
and the point sails over his head like a Drew Brees pass...

riddle me this, though: what difference does it make what "the original picture" said? especially if you cannot produce said picture? refer back to willem's post


What? This:

Willem wrote:
why does it matter if it's real or not? i mean, it obviously is, but why are you so concerned with the possibility that someone took the time to photoshop something they could have easily faked in easier and more convincing ways? or they could've easily found an actually legit picture and just repost it

and why did you choose to share your concerns with the rest of the world?


You all are missing my point. It's not 'obviously real', maybe 5-6 years ago, but image manipulation has come a looooong way and is ridiculous easy to do anymore. People fake this kind of stuff, with this kind of content ALL THE TIME. For no reason. For lots of reasons. For no good reason.

Also:

Quote:
darq, /b/ will never be a valid reason to do, think or say anything. in fact, you should be doing the exact opposite of what they're doing. you're deferring your judgement to a bunch of 13-year olds


You're still trying to answer the 'why'. That's moot. It does happen, regardless of why it happens, what you or I think should happen, it is a commonplace occurance.

**************

That aside, with Dennis's post OMFG -- we have context delivered. That's what I said at the beginning -- without context it's suspect. A random picture not referenced to anything lacks context. Now knowing the blog exist, I'm no longer suspicious. Prior to that, regardless of what you think, there could have been any number of reasons that picture existed. Hell, for all I knew there was an entire blog made up of just her image with people replacing the message with different messages.

But none of that matters now, context was provided, so I now assume it's legit and that poor girl went through horrible shit and then again went through more horrible shit via people telling her to be 'thankful for being raped'.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12177
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're getting a little crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10360
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, overly pessimistic. I went crazy years ago. I couldn't find it, but I know I've read at least one story where someone went on a social media site and spread rumors about a girl being raped in order to humiliate and embarrass her. I've come to terms with the fact that I tend to assume the worse more readily than other people here on this forum.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
and the point sails over his head like a Drew Brees pass...

riddle me this, though: what difference does it make what "the original picture" said? especially if you cannot produce said picture? refer back to willem's post


What? This:

Willem wrote:
why does it matter if it's real or not? i mean, it obviously is, but why are you so concerned with the possibility that someone took the time to photoshop something they could have easily faked in easier and more convincing ways? or they could've easily found an actually legit picture and just repost it

and why did you choose to share your concerns with the rest of the world?


You all are missing my point. It's not 'obviously real', maybe 5-6 years ago, but image manipulation has come a looooong way and is ridiculous easy to do anymore. People fake this kind of stuff, with this kind of content ALL THE TIME. For no reason. For lots of reasons. For no good reason.


The point is is that that is not actually relevant. Even if it was fake, the message is still important and true (only perhaps not for the specific person). We need feminism because there is some fucked up shit in this world.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6436

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty: *fistbump* While it's nice to know I'm not alone, it's not something I would wish on people.

Thy: It's all pretty terrible.

Dogen: Yeah, this keeps cropping up at work. I keep getting tricked into arguing and then realizing 'shit, this is not the time nor the place'.

Willem: I generally prefer online discussions because I'm pretty ass at arguing things in real life. I still default to avoiding confrontation (which I guess is probably for the best, considering this shit keeps happening at work). I have an abysmal memory, so I can't quote facts and I can lose my original point very easily.

But hey, I really appreciate all the responses.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
You all are missing my point. It's not 'obviously real', maybe 5-6 years ago, but image manipulation has come a looooong way and is ridiculous easy to do anymore. People fake this kind of stuff, with this kind of content ALL THE TIME. For no reason. For lots of reasons. For no good reason.

You're still trying to answer the 'why'. That's moot. It does happen, regardless of why it happens, what you or I think should happen, it is a commonplace occurance.

your entire point was that it's technically possible for images to be altered congratulations for pointing that out

here, i made an image to prove your point:



Quote:
Prior to that, regardless of what you think, there could have been any number of reasons that picture existed. Hell, for all I knew there was an entire blog made up of just her image with people replacing the message with different messages.

Give me those reasons. And give me your reasoning for being suspicious about this at all. Tell me why it's important that you're 100% sure it's real. Also what snorri said.

Also you're an idiot
_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9501

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was some pretty good tea. It had some box jellyfish in it. I think there's like flooding in australia or something
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10360
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem: When did you become illiterate? I've explained it. To death. Go back, read my posts, I've answered what you're asking. Multiple times.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10713
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, exif data is no reason to be suspicious of or to believe the authenticity of a photo. It's easy to fake and lots of programs strip the data (especially old software - there's no date on the photo to tell you it isn't mid-90s). Exif tells you nothing unless you have a reason to believe it (ie, you're looking at a photography website).
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willem



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 6306
Location: wasteland style

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Willem: When did you become illiterate? I've explained it. To death. Go back, read my posts, I've answered what you're asking. Multiple times.

i asked you questions and you didn't answer them. you just offered irrelevant bullshit and vagueries. i didn't 'miss your point', i asked you different questions in the hope that thinking about them, you'd realise that:


_________________
attitude of a street punk, only cutting selected words out of context to get onself excuse to let one's dirty mouth loose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9501

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is pretty good tea. It's made by grinding up the seed inside coffee fruit, then straining hot water through it. Anyway. is anyone as excited as I am for Avatar II.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 144 of 299

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group