welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I propose we put the whole state of Colorado (sorry Sam) on anti-depressants or antipsychotic meds.

didn't colorado vote to legalize marijuana for recreational use? that should mellow them out.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides, i already voted we turn Arizona into our Yucca Mountain For Crazy People
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really not a lot wrong with our state in terms of overall metrics. A few high profile incidents.

If you want depressed people or otherwise just plain nutsos, you have to look at all the states all around us. Utah especially.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today Newt pulled off the kid gloves:

Quote:
Like several other prominent Republicans, Newt Gingrich slammed Mitt Romney's assertion in a conference call with donors last week that he lost the 2012 presidential election because of "gifts" President Barack Obama gave to blacks, Hispanics and younger voters during his first term in the White House.

"It's nuts," Gingrich told guest host Martha Raddatz on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday. "First of all, it's insulting. This would be like Wal-Mart having a bad week and going, 'The customers have really been unruly.' I mean, the job of a political leader in part is to understand the people. If we can't offer a better future that is believable to more people, we're not going to win."

Also he said:

Quote:
"I'm very disappointed with Governor Romney's analysis, which I believe is insulting and profoundly wrong," Gingrich said in an interview with KLRU-TV in Austin. "First of all, we didn't lose Asian-Americans because they got any gifts. He did worse with Asian-Americans than he did with Latinos. This is the hardest-working and most successful ethnic group in America--they ain't into gifts.

"Second, it's an insult to all Americans," he continued. "It reduces us to economic entities. You have no passion, no idealism, no dreams, no philosophy. If it had been that simple, my question would be, 'Why didn't you outbid him?' He had enough billionaire supporters, if buying the electorate was the key, he could have got all his super PAC friends together and said, don't buy ads, give gifts. Be like the northwest Indians who have gift-giving ceremonies. We could have gone town-by-town and said, 'Come here, let me give you gifts. Here are Republican gifts.' An elephant coming in with gifts on it."

Maybe, just maybe, the insistence upon referring to individuals solely as statistical demographics might disenfranchise them with the GOP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gop's ideas are what is disenfranchising people, and they really, really, still do not get that. take, for example, the conclusions the republican governors' convention:
Quote:
The consensus in Las Vegas was that Obama won, not because Americans agreed with his positions on raising taxes on the rich or health care, but because Republicans got out-organized by the community organizer. Therefore, the president has no election mandate, because the reason he won had nothing to do with issues.

(the convention was held in las vegas).

which lead to things like this:
Quote:
This analysis also lets Republican Party ideology off the hook. It was widely agreed that nothing needed to be changed except perhaps the tone. For example, the idea that more than 70 percent of Hispanics voted for the president because of Republican positions on illegal immigration was rejected by the Republican governors.

The accepted wisdom is that Republican candidates need to campaign harder, and let Hispanics know they really care about their vote. Then that vote will start coming the GOP's way.

so: they care about the hispanic vote....just not actual hispanics. sounds kinda like their positions on women.

apparently, they absolutely believe the american electorate are a bunch of sheep who pay no attention to the issues, and will vote for whoever drags them to the polls, whether or not that party is promoting ideas that are damaging to that particular voter. well, maybe that's understandable - a good chunk of the republican base is happy to cut their own throats by supporting the party.

but there is hope:
Quote:
It may well be that the next Republican candidate for president will emerge from this large and strong group of conservative governors. The post-election rallying cry in Las Vegas was "no moderation" of the party's platform, and that a fresh face is all that's really needed.

and with any luck, that fresh face will have no more new ideas than the current face, and they will lose again....and again....and again. until someone decides that maybe the american people _do_ actually vote for things they want (like making the rich pay their fair share).

in the mean time, of course, we are going to have to deal with at least 2 years of republican intransigence, because they can't accept that people really _do_ want healthcare, and government-supplied infrastructure, and all that "stuff", and they really don't mind asking the rich to kick in a bit more.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to say "part of what is contributing to disenfranchisement"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'sokay. gave me an opening to rant about something i already wanted to rant about.

but seriously, gop? you really gotta stop believing that everyone, deep down inside, totally agrees with you. try really listening to people, 'kay?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitt romney may be moving into my neighborhood.

well, not exactly my neighborhood, but definitely within my ambit.

but i do find it amusing that he moving into a neighborhood that in many ways is the antithesis of what he is about (except for the fact that people there are frequently Really Rich.)
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

but i do find it amusing that he moving into a neighborhood that in many ways is the antithesis of what he is about (except for the fact that people there are frequently Really Rich.)

Moving? Is he bringing his dog with him? or his car elevator?
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nationalmemo.com/tea-party-nation-still-trying-to-make-romney-president/

worst part about this: it wouldn't work. iirc, it's a house quorum, not an EC vote. they can't even get national subversion right.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
http://www.nationalmemo.com/tea-party-nation-still-trying-to-make-romney-president/

worst part about this: it wouldn't work. iirc, it's a house quorum, not an EC vote. they can't even get national subversion right.

The worst part about it is not that they're fundamentally wrong; that's the best and most funniest part.
The worst part is that someone honestly and knowingly tried to rally the troops to completely subvert democracy and deny the voters their say. By convincing government officials to not do their jobs.
I don't like the term "unamerican," but there's just no other word for it. Legit elections are the hallmark of a free society and the real bedrock of this one in particular (rhetoric about marriage and families notwithstanding). This shitstain wanted to throw that away because he didn't like the guy that won the popular and electoral vote.
kame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Sam wrote:

The worst part about it is not that they're fundamentally wrong; that's the best and most funniest part.
The worst part is that someone honestly and knowingly tried to rally the troops to completely subvert democracy and deny the voters their say. By convincing government officials to not do their jobs.
I don't like the term "unamerican," but there's just no other word for it. Legit elections are the hallmark of a free society and the real bedrock of this one in particular (rhetoric about marriage and families notwithstanding). This shitstain wanted to throw that away because he didn't like the guy that won the popular and electoral vote.

There is an avenue open to these people, if they're not pussies, which is armed insurrection. Rebellion runs in the yanks blood, does it not?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
mouse wrote:

Moving? Is he bringing his dog with him? or his car elevator?

the dog, i guess, is long gone. and he doesn't have his car elevator yet, first he has to tear down the existing 3,000 sq. ft house to build an 11,000 sq. ft house (with car elevator). which he doesn't have permission for yet. word is, city counsel is ok with it, but he asked some of the neighbors to sign something saying they were ok with losing part of their ocean view...which got nowhere. you do _not_ get a san diegan to give up their ocean view. people go to great lengths to obtain and retain an ocean view.

so i don't know if they will actually move, if they have to put up with the existing pokey little shack.

but now the blogosphere is apparently afire with the news that mitt has been seen pumping his own gas in la jolla, so....
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he looked wearied in that pic
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had to drive himself all the way out to la jolla, i guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 3 of 27

Jump to: