Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 345, 346, 347  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed a lot of hype around Brave before I saw it, but I have the same criticism concerning the awesome first half to the less than mediocre second half.

Just finished downloading and am just about to start watching The Dark Knight Rises for he first time as I missed in in the theater and wanted to wait for a high quality version before I downloaded it.

Saw Prometheus recently. I think I enjoyed it more than its critical acclaim as I have no problem with films leaving some questions and plot points unanswered and open for individual interpretation. not sure if I would have felt differently about the movie had I known it was part of the Aliens universe ahead of time.

I thought Dark Shadows was awesome, but I also had grown up watching the original tv series.

I thiink that's all the movies I've seen in a while... oh, except for Cockneys vs. Zombies which was about as good as you would expect.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I never noticed a lot of hype around Brave before I saw it, but I have the same criticism concerning the awesome first half to the less than mediocre second half.

Lukewarm the second half, wasn't it? Not at all what I thought. Fun, though.

Quote:
Saw Prometheus recently. I think I enjoyed it more than its critical acclaim as I have no problem with films leaving some questions and plot points unanswered and open for individual interpretation. not sure if I would have felt differently about the movie had I known it was part of the Aliens universe ahead of time.

A couple of (funny) things about that (spoilers in case some people still haven't seen it):

spoilers wrote:
David bashing all the buttons he could find

Considering the acid-spitting vagina monster "beautiful"

The running down the length of the ship which gave me flashbacks to Wiley Coyote (just run to the right of it, you twit!) bonus: Rapace falling down, and a single roll to the right and she's fine and dandy; Theron becomes squished pancake

Quote:
I thought Dark Shadows was awesome, but I also had grown up watching the original tv series.

I thought Dark Shadows was ok, until you realised they'd cut out like a full 30 minutes or something out of the movie because the scenes that weren't removed are justapoxed to scenes that obviously were removed and at the end you just become horribly confused. Other than that, it was great. Could have done without the slapstick humour, though.

spoilers wrote:
Like, for instance, the girl suddenly being a werewolf

The scene where Hoffman injects herself with Barnabas' blood with an IV, and Barnabas' barges in with the perplexing line, "I need you to make me human again" (or something to that effect) Ey? When did this happen? Oh, in the deleted scenes, and this was when you first realised they'd actually cut shit out. A lot of shit out. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Quote:
I thiink that's all the movies I've seen in a while... oh, except for Cockneys vs. Zombies which was about as good as you would expect.

Speaking of "about as good as you would expect" zombie movies, how about Warm Bodies? I don't know, but strangely enough it made me excited to watch it. Something new. I think that's probably it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Warm Bodies is probably going to be epic. Or epically horrible. This preview had me laughing my ass off. Also, John Malkovich being in it is a good sign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Canopus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock Waves. Kind of a crappy movie, but hey, Nazi zombies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
Shock Waves. Kind of a crappy movie, but hey, Nazi zombies.

The best thing about that is the review on the front, "the best of the nazi zombie movies!"

Brilliant.
Willem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People liked Dark Shadows? Really? I just thought it was further proof that Tim Burton needs to be put out of his or our misery.

Finnegan wrote:
Just finished downloading and am just about to start watching The Dark Knight Rises for he first time as I missed in in the theater and wanted to wait for a high quality version before I downloaded it.

Did the same thing. Prepare for disappointment. What a waste of a bunch of great actors and some decent-for-a-comic source material.

Though I could've seen it coming. Begins was pretty mediocre and the only reason I have high expectations of this series is because of Heath Ledger.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
There is also the argument that no asian actor did the role justice, according to the vision of the directors. Who knows?

what

If "no asian actor did the role justice" was actually in any way the justification given by lana for the yellowface, that's offensive beyond belief and they're complete shitholes.

However I doubt that this is actually an argument that came from anyone significantly involved with the movie.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem hating on The DKR? Man ... I do feel I'll find it a big let down when I get a second viewing. As for Prometheus, I think I will probs enjoy a second watch. It's so pretty and vacant, like a girl ...

Hey ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Guest wrote:
There is also the argument that no asian actor did the role justice, according to the vision of the directors. Who knows?

what

If "no asian actor did the role justice" was actually in any way the justification given by lana for the yellowface, that's offensive beyond belief and they're complete shitholes.

However I doubt that this is actually an argument that came from anyone significantly involved with the movie.

Yeah it isn't. Their argument is in fact that they wanted to have the same actors in all the roles. It's probably the worst way to go about this, but what do you expect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Sam wrote:
Guest wrote:

what

Yeah it isn't. Their argument is in fact that they wanted to have the same actors in all the roles. It's probably the worst way to go about this, but what do you expect.

Well, there you go.
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Oh Warm Bodies is probably going to be epic. Or epically horrible. This preview had me laughing my ass off. Also, John Malkovich being in it is a good sign.

"Don't be creepy...don't be creepy..." Laughing
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Beautiful Mind
first time. Probably would have seen sooner, except I thought it was just the bio of some math geek. Turns out it's "Mr. Holland's Opus" but with crazy.
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:

Did the same thing. Prepare for disappointment. What a waste of a bunch of great actors and some decent-for-a-comic source material.

Though I could've seen it coming. Begins was pretty mediocre and the only reason I have high expectations of this series is because of Heath Ledger.

Taste is individual, and yours is uniquely poor.
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moneyball.

Fun but not much more.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched "Eat, Pray, Love" the other night. It wasn't a bad movie. I've seen much worse. But it is a great example of the problem in taking a whole book and putting it into a 2 hours or less movie.

When you condense the plot, remove the smaller side stories, and take out all the inbetween stuff that gets you from one point in the story to the next, you lose the story itself. You can't take away the building blocks and expect to still have a structure.

So instead of this coming across as spiritual, enlightening, and thoughtful it came across as confusing, sporadic, and weird.

An example of how confusing it is was when she was in Italy. I didn't get that at all. It was confusing and weird. I couldn't tell if Julia was supposed to be interested in someone or not.

Anyway... if anything it made me want to go read the book. The movie wasn't bad it just tried to smush all the good bits together without the knitting to explain them.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 345, 346, 347  Next
Page 334 of 347

Jump to: