Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-11-21: Men's Approval
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanboy2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
joandark wrote:
Inkmonkey wrote:
180%

This looks like a job for the math Nazi!

While 180% doesn't make sense in terms of a proportion out of an immutable whole, in terms of an increase it could be translated as "nearly tripled," and it would also make sense as a new value measured proportionately to the original.
No math nazi necessary there. soz.

There could be a problem with implicitly saying that there is an enumerable scale that has values ranging from slutty cocktease to androgynous feminist, but that doesn't really bother me either. If I were to comment on the post in question, I'd probably be thinking more about criticising the storytelling value of what Inkmonkey is suggesting, or maybe complaining about their description of 'Nique's characterization.

/I might be the math nazi around here, I dunno

I think he meant 180 degrees maybe? ( Of course I could be 180 degrees off in my understanding too!! Smile )
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

180 would make more sense there, yes. Then it would just mean a complete reversal instead of trying to say that one stereotype is 1.8 or maybe 2.8 times another stereotype. I just assumed joandark was complaining about a percentage being greater than 100% because people complain about that sometimes (and rightly so, just not in this context).

Also when reading things I do tend to assume flaws in logic before I consider the possibility that people are just using the wrong terms, which might be a shortcoming on my part.

I also rarely think of angles in terms of degrees, but w/e.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he could have meant to type 100% and typoed....
Wheel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with using 180%, or 200%. If you can say something is twice the size of something else, you can it is 200% the size. Depends on which volume you're basing the percentage on. As with pronouns, pick one antecedent and stick with it.

Heretical, would you be more comfortable thinking Pi radians than 180 degrees? Question
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Ehh... Hard to say? She's made statements that would imply that she's attracted to females as well but who the fuck knows how genuine said statements are.

There's also the strip that Ronald linked, wherein she asked for a girl's number...

I feel like there's more but I'm not going to bother searching for more. \(0_0)/

I love the ol' Nique. This are hilarious.

Also your new Sinfest dolls are awesome, Miss Magenta! <3
Ronald

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

Hm. In the first, she's saying the Anonymous Woman is beautiful enough that she'd be (in order words, become) gay for her. In the second, she's simply acknowledging that whoever/whatever she's seeing is beautiful or provocative OSLT. Being able to appreciate the beauty of members of one's own gender doesn't necessarily translate into being gay.

Plus there's also this:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3306

If she is gay, whether or not eating a peach would turn her gay would be sort of a non-issue. Then again, maybe she's bisexual and was wondering (probably not seriously) if eating the peach would make her a lesbian instead of a bisexual.

Really, nobody but Tat can say for sure, and he won't.

"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me."
-- from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Eliot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: