welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

18 Nov 2012 - Conch Shell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6182
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaand Guest takes off his mask and reveals that he really does hate women, because how dare they not be sure that he isn't a rapist, even if his dismissiveness of their concerns demonstrates that they've got some cause to fear

thanks for playing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, you misunderstand, I think it's a great article!

Although I'm not sure about the name. I mean, as we all know, Schrödinger's Cat was an absurd experiment to ridicule quantum superposition by assuming that the cat in the box is both dead and alive at the same time. Since it's clear to me that Phaedra has perhaps misunderstood, or not comprehended the full aspect of the original experiment, making the case instead of an either/or, I propose another name: Pascal's Rapist!

It fits! You have nothing to lose by assuming the man approaching you right now is a rapist! If he's not, win win!

Or even better: Occam's Rapist! The simplest explanation is the better one, and in this case the simplest explanation is that the man approaching you is a rapist!

(This leaves out the condescending tone in the article where the author portends to address a good person that among other things is kind to children and animals, donates to charity, "tells jokes without laughing at his own punchline" [shrug], and most importantly likes and respects women but still has to be reminded not to rape.)
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6182
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, so you're mad that the article wasn't addressing you

okay!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mystchevious



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:


Hahahah, claiming that there's no excuse for whining about being put in the friend zone, and that no one has a right to drop kindness coins into a woman and get sex is hate-mongering? Or is it pointing out that Guest routinely engages in arguments he's completely uneducated in and defends factually incorrect stances to the death that is hate mongering?


You know I honestly thought that guest was just lashing out at you saying that you routinely put up straw man arguments, and yet here we are. I never said that Guest was the one you unfairly shot down. On the contrary I was referring to a number of people who posted calmly and rationally who you replied to with short scathing retorts that summed up to little more than You're wrong shut up.

My comment pertaining to guest was that the both of you were being defensive and were making no progress with your sh*t slinging.

My comment pertaining to the picture was stating that it's an offensive sweeping statement. In fact I stated that it's as offensive as stating that all women were gold diggers.

And my argument about people being entitled to whine/feel however they feel stands as it is. Beyond being entitled to feel however you feel you have the right to state it as often and in any tone of voice you choose. So long as it isn't slanderous or seditious.

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

White male privilege seeps from this paragraph like sap from a freshly tapped Vermont Maple.

What's funny is that this is going to turn out to be an almost exact repeat of the earlier summer invasion of the shitbags. You're spouting almost the exact same line, and you're going to be made a fool of just the same as them, though I'm sure you'll eventually end up stomping off in a huff...just...like...them.


I would say you know your opponent very well save for the fact that the only assumption you have correctly guessed about me is that I happen to be male. And I even left clues for you in previous posts.

Now if it is your intention to make a fool of me then have at it. That being said take a second to look at the hate mongering you yourself are spewing. Oh I realize that my words came off very harsh earlier, and while I should not have taken cheap shots at you, I do not regret them one bit. See in your zeal to take up a cause you have lashed out and shown yourself to be just as sexist and hateful as everyone you are accusing. I doubt you'll agree, but as I said the very Idea that I could change your mind never crossed mine.

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Yeah, I'm biased against chauvinistic shitheads.


You're biased against more than just them. Either that or your idea of a chauvinistic shithead is very very broad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6632

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specifically has Monkey said to make you accuse him of being sexist? I'm legitimately curious as to your reasoning.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3352

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
What specifically has Monkey said to make you accuse him of being sexist? I'm legitimately curious as to your reasoning.


Apparently the fact that I don't worship the cock.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10953
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystchevious wrote:

And my argument about people being entitled to whine/feel however they feel stands as it is. Beyond being entitled to feel however you feel you have the right to state it as often and in any tone of voice you choose. So long as it isn't slanderous or seditious.

I apologize for arriving late, but this seems either blatantly contradictory or trite to the point of uselessness. What does it mean to be entitled to think and say whatever you want short of slander and sedition? Does it mean one should be able to think and say things without consequence? Obviously not, that would violate the right of others to think and say what they felt (such as disagreeing, correcting, or telling them to STFU). It would thus be contradictory for anyone to be entitled to think and say what they want without consequence.

Maybe you didn't mean to imply a lack of consequence. What does it mean to be entitled to think and say what you mean and suffer the consequences? Well, it means people like Monkey are within their rights to mock you, to choose not to associate with you, etc. Thus, it seems that in order to support the right of people to complain about the friend zone we must also support the right of others to tell them they're full of shit and to shut up. Which makes talking about their right to complain trite and useless, because you're then arguing for things to be as they are.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. I’ll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
great article, thanks!


Right?!

Tugs at your heartstrings. The way she must feel walking the street, it must be hell. The stress of knowing so many men walking on the same sidewalk as her almost every day and they don't even have the decency to walk to the other side to make her feel safer.

The poor dear. Beasts! The lot of them. Why if I had half the mind I do now, I'd check my privilege and show those ignoramuses just how it is in the life of Phaedra Starling (Phaedra, of course, being a woman of greek myth who accused a man who wouldn't requite her love of raping her, writing a letter to her husband, the king of Athens, who subsequently killed him [in numerous ways, depending on the version])! She's so brave.


I do love myself some good sarcasm. Smile

I, myself, am a pretty big guy (6'4) and I usually only have time to jog at night after work and school. Now, I was born and raised to be very polite and courteous. I say "hello" to people at times when I cross paths with them in the street.

Sometimes, being a tall guy, I can forget how threatening I can seem to someone who is, say, 5'2 and less then a hundred and twenty pounds. At first I wondered why nobody responded hello at first but then quickly got the hint. In a sad way, crossing the street is our new "hold the door open/pull the chair out" for women. I cross the street every time just because I feel horrible about freaking them out. So, although it sadly stems from the root of fear, it is still a courtesy thing. Manners are to set people's minds at ease.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowcell wrote:
ah, so you're mad that the article wasn't addressing you


Ooh, ahh. Burn. No, I guess not, but since you seem to think so highly of yourself, that would mean she's addressing you. Congratulations: in her mind, you're a rapist. Whoops. You don't mind being a rapist, do you?

I mean, you obviously consider it a brilliant piece. And so do I, in my insanity. Beyond the inherent sexism, I suppose, and the racism (she is addressing all men after all, which would include black men, asian men, latino men, and so on. She also condescendingly assumes that every woman must feel the same way, but who cares? And for some reason making the case about not wearing t-shirts. Bizarre.) She also apparently forgets the fact that most rapes are commited by someone you know, but who gives a shit? (Fourth paragraph down.) She writes it so brilliantly, and without courtesy for her fellow man (so to speak), you'll forget it. But! It's possible that the 22% (strangers) may be what Phaedra Starling is talking about, the so-called good persons, and considering that you don't disagree with it, Shadow, I ask you once again: you don't mind being a rapist, do you?

Samsally wrote:
What specifically has Monkey said to make you accuse him of being sexist? I'm legitimately curious as to your reasoning.


Yeah, Samsally, I'm legitimately curious as to your reasoning.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
I, myself, am a pretty big guy (6'4) and I usually only have time to jog at night after work and school. Now, I was born and raised to be very polite and courteous. I say "hello" to people at times when I cross paths with them in the street.

Sometimes, being a tall guy, I can forget how threatening I can seem to someone who is, say, 5'2 and less then a hundred and twenty pounds. At first I wondered why nobody responded hello at first but then quickly got the hint. In a sad way, crossing the street is our new "hold the door open/pull the chair out" for women. I cross the street every time just because I feel horrible about freaking them out. So, although it sadly stems from the root of fear, it is still a courtesy thing. Manners are to set people's minds at ease.


It's an interesting way to go, definitely. Usually "hold the door open/pull the chair out" approach would be considered chivalry, which many feminists consider 'benevolent sexism.' So if crossing the street is the new chivalry, then surely feminists wouldn't hold it in such high regard. Also, I suppose for anyone who isn't 6'4" (I'm 5'9"), the notion of crossing the street because of the delusions of a paranoid woman is ludicruous. However, if I knew what Phaedra Starling looked like (it's a pseudonym), and she and I were on the same sidewalk, then yes, I would cross the street. Not because of her safety, but because of mine.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3833
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, just so we're clear, 'crossing the street' is not the new 'holding the door open', you total fucking cartoons.

A few weeks ago I was walking to Tessa's cafe to walk her home when she finished at like 11pm at night. I had our puppy on a leash, and was rambling along chatting to myself when I suddenly turned a corner and a girl was standing there. She had a moment of total freak out, until she took a breath, saw I wasn't threatening, and I had an adorable puppy.

She said I had really scared her, and I was so fucking pissed off -- what the fuck is this bitches problem? Don't I have a right to walk down the street like her, the fucking paranoid slut, like I'd even want to fucking rape her.

oops, sorry, that should actually read "She said I had really scared her, and I was absolutely mortified that I had lurched out of the dark at her, because I am a human being who feels empathy, and I frequently walk with my girlfriend and see how often douchebags yell horseshit out their cars at her and we read the same articles about insane assaults on women and the idea that a man could come from nowhere and attack her scares the shit out of her and me too so I do everything in my power to help her set those fears aside, and any time I find myself accidentally freaking a woman out at night I use my human being skill of EMPATHY and say fuck, I am probably freaking that poor girl out, I'm going to cross the street/walk slower/go a different way.

Like fuck, dude, how fucking invonveniant for you is it to cross the fucking road, you arse? It's not admitting that you are a rapist, it's admitting that regardless of your physical size or intent, you can be perceived as a threat and for a wee bit of inconvenience you can help a woman feel fucking safer. Why is that such a big fucking problem, you fuckwit?

your 'delusions of a paranoid woman' aren't delusions or paranoid -- women are raped, and they are raped too often, and they are raped on streets that should be safe for them and are safe for men, so fuck you, you fucking haughty ponce.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3833
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe rather than indulging yourself with a femspiracy to make you feel like a rapist and make you go the long way home, you can think about what you, an individual, can do to help other individuals in your community feel safer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Succubus1982



Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Posts: 919
Location: England

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystchevious wrote:
it's as offensive as stating that all women were gold diggers.


With the economy world wide as shit as it is sometimes you've got to whore yourself a little for the good stuff Laughing I have no shame in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
hey guys, just so we're clear, 'crossing the street' is not the new 'holding the door open', you total fucking cartoons.

A few weeks ago I was walking to Tessa's cafe to walk her home when she finished at like 11pm at night. I had our puppy on a leash, and was rambling along chatting to myself when I suddenly turned a corner and a girl was standing there. She had a moment of total freak out, until she took a breath, saw I wasn't threatening, and I had an adorable puppy.

She said I had really scared her, and I was so fucking pissed off -- what the fuck is this bitches problem? Don't I have a right to walk down the street like her, the fucking paranoid slut, like I'd even want to fucking rape her.


Ah, yes, that old canard. Disagreeing with what a woman says obviously implies she's a bitch and a slut. Especially when it's criticising an article where a woman is paranoid about being raped by strangers all day, every day, and assuming that all men who approach her are would-be rapists.

Quote:
oops, sorry, that should actually read "She said I had really scared her, and I was absolutely mortified that I had lurched out of the dark at her, because I am a human being who feels empathy, and I frequently walk with my girlfriend and see how often douchebags yell horseshit out their cars at her and we read the same articles about insane assaults on women and the idea that a man could come from nowhere and attack her scares the shit out of her and me too so I do everything in my power to help her set those fears aside, and any time I find myself accidentally freaking a woman out at night I use my human being skill of EMPATHY and say fuck, I am probably freaking that poor girl out, I'm going to cross the street/walk slower/go a different way.


So wait, again (because I think I need to make this absolutely clear), criticising an article where a woman makes the assumption that all men who approach her are would-be rapists and wants men to cross the street because she fears they might rape her, and saying I would cross the street if I saw her walking on the same side not because of her safety but because of mine, implies that I wouldn't apologise to a woman if I startled her by turning a corner and there she was? I've told you this before, Dennis, but it bears repeating: you're an idiot.

Quote:
Like fuck, dude, how fucking invonveniant for you is it to cross the fucking road, you arse? It's not admitting that you are a rapist, it's admitting that regardless of your physical size or intent, you can be perceived as a threat and for a wee bit of inconvenience you can help a woman feel fucking safer. Why is that such a big fucking problem, you fuckwit?


Inconvenient? Let me get this straight: this woman thinks of every man who approach her as "Schrödinger's Rapist" - disregarding the failed analogy for a moment, this means that every man who approaches her is, in her mind, a would-be rapist. You would bend the will to this delusional, paranoid woman? You would bend the will to this woman, and any woman who thinks this way, simply because they're women? Special treatment? So instead of treating women like adults, we should treat them like infants? I don't know about you, Dennis, but I have much more regard for women than that. Moreover, paranoid and delusional because she ignores the facts of rapes and makes up a failed analogy that doesn't hold up to the facts. That makes her a lunatic and I would much rather cross the street for my safety than for hers, if I ever saw her on the street.

Quote:
your 'delusions of a paranoid woman' aren't delusions or paranoid -- women are raped, and they are raped too often, and they are raped on streets that should be safe for them and are safe for men, so fuck you, you fucking haughty ponce.


First of all, it's fearmongering bullshit, and second of all it is delusional and paranoid. Women aren't raped most of the time by strangers, they're raped most of the time by people they know, by people they are or have been acquainted with. How do you feel about people having the abject fear of walking the street that everyone approaching them is "Schrödinger's Murderer"? With the same premise of presuming you're addressing good people, but ending with the suggestion: don't murder. Or supposing you were to talk to members of the EDL, and them assuming that every immigrant who approaches them are "Schrödinger's Suicide Bomber"? But I guess it's not the same thing. After all, even most murders are carried out by a family member, close relative or acquaintance. As for the EDL, I don't think I need to expand further.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
maybe rather than indulging yourself with a femspiracy to make you feel like a rapist and make you go the long way home, you can think about what you, an individual, can do to help other individuals in your community feel safer.


Yes, individuals, I would imagine that includes more people than a lone woman with rape hysteria.

But you're being contradictory in that I shouldn't indulge myself in a (as you say) "femspiracy" "to make [myself] feel like a rapist", but I should indulge myself in the fears of a lunatic woman because she... feels... I'm... a rapist. Hmm. Then again, this could just be a language barrier thing. You live in Australia, I live in...reality. Probably just a misunderstanding.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 9 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group