welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10709
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this your regular doctor? Because they're not really qualified to diagnose mental health issues (no more than they're qualified to implant a pacemaker). I'd recommend getting a referral to a psychiatrist and seeing what they have to say. You can always cross reference it with what she said, to see if they match up. The psychologist may be able to give you the same info, especially if it is ADHD, but may end up referring you to a psychiatrist anyway (for treatment).

This is not my area of expertise, obviously, but physiological withdrawal from nicotine does take a long time. I've heard different estimates, but the notion that your brain chemistry isn't 100% even if you don't feel cravings isn't off the mark. One symptom of withdrawal is depression, which can be expressed through avolition (lack of motivation), increased motor activity (restlessness), and lack of focus. You'd know better than I would if that were a possible diagnosis for you, but certainly the psychologist can help figure it out.

It sounds like you're doing the right things. I know how frustrating it is to have things thrown at you for the sake of saying you're being treated. When I was diagnosed with MS I told my neurologist I felt anxiety and she said, "we can get you something for that." All I really needed was time to get used to the diagnosis, being anxious was totally appropriate.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trustedfaith



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3366
Location: My own little world...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Was this your regular doctor?


Yes. This was my primary care physician. I was essentially using her as my sounding board. See what she thought. She always refers to me to specialists anyways when it's something she's unfamiliar with or isn't something she knows a lot about. She didn't even suggest a referral.

Dogen wrote:
I'd recommend getting a referral to a psychiatrist and seeing what they have to say. You can always cross reference it with what she said, to see if they match up. The psychologist may be able to give you the same info, especially if it is ADHD, but may end up referring you to a psychiatrist anyway (for treatment).


The place where this psychologist is at has psychiatrists on staff so if there are treatment options that are outside of the realm of the psychologist I can see someone on staff without having to start from scratch. I have an appointment on the 29th.

Dogen wrote:
This is not my area of expertise, obviously, but physiological withdrawal from nicotine does take a long time. I've heard different estimates, but the notion that your brain chemistry isn't 100% even if you don't feel cravings isn't off the mark. One symptom of withdrawal is depression, which can be expressed through avolition (lack of motivation), increased motor activity (restlessness), and lack of focus. You'd know better than I would if that were a possible diagnosis for you, but certainly the psychologist can help figure it out.


I realize this. I realize that it takes more than a few months for my body to learn to function without nicotine. However, my symptoms shouldn't progressively get worse, they should steadily decline over time. They're not declining. And I feel like a lot of this is stuff I already did to some degree but someone turned up the volume dial on it? Does that make sense? I dunno, I don't think I make much sense anymore. I honestly don't feel depressed. I'm not sure what else I can say to that.

Dogen wrote:
It sounds like you're doing the right things. I know how frustrating it is to have things thrown at you for the sake of saying you're being treated. When I was diagnosed with MS I told my neurologist I felt anxiety and she said, "we can get you something for that." All I really needed was time to get used to the diagnosis, being anxious was totally appropriate.


I think the nicotine suggestion was ridiculous. She said "I honestly have no idea." And that's fine. She should have just left it at that. But I think she thought I needed my money's worth and to give me some sort of something to make up for it and tossed out random ideas.

I'll see how the psychologist goes. Thanks Russ. Smile
_________________
I'm doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10709
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, your symptoms shouldn't be getting worse. There's a lot of information about nicotine as a form of self-medication for adults with ADHD. It makes sense, the drugs they use to treat ADHD are also stimulants.

Anyway, best of luck, Jen. At least you're doing it right, so if there's an answer you should find it.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17165
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll agree with dogen, and congratulate you for not accepting the idea of using the patch. and especially congratulate you for the quit!

but yeah - if you were showing symptoms of ADD as a child, sounds like you need to talk to someone qualified to diagnose it.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Usagi Miyamoto



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2225
Location: wish you were here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: srsly, avoid the Paxil, the withdrawal zaps suck Reply with quote

I'd say, don't be too down on your doctor, Jen. It's just a good object lesson that doctors are human and that you are your own best advocate when you deal with them. Also, it's probably rare for a non-pediatrician to have someone come in and present with ADHD symptoms, so it's reasonable that it's not the first diagnosis to come to mind.

When I go to my doctor, I always make a list of the things I want to bring up, and I keep my pencil handy to check things off and note what the doctor has to say, because otherwise I'm likely to forget. (I have a mind like a steel trap... door.) And I try to follow the doctor's reasoning, and ask for clarifications when I need them, so I can understand what's going on and develop my own insight and judgment, because nobody cares about my wellbeing the same way I do (or can do as much about it, for that matter).

I think you should feel good that you recognized some suggestions as suspect or inappropriate for you, and that you're being proactive about it. And it sounds like you're doing well on follow through, with the psych appointment, since as those of us with ADD know, the toughest part of doing something is fini
_________________
The reward for a good life is a good life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi makes me giggle.

Sooooooo I was talking about my bipolar disorder with my boyfriend. He seems to be of the opinion that now that my mind has been medicated, it knows what not being broken feels like and can hold on to that. So, if I miss my medication for a couple days I should still be able to function (much of this is what I heard - his main point is that I rely too much on the drugs). I think of the bipolar disorder more of a physical ailment with mental symptoms -no medication and my brain melts down: lack of focus, verbal filters shot to hell, depression, mania, etc. I find it insulting that he even approaches the idea that this could all be in my head (the discussion started when I talked about a former friend that asked me if I had even considered praying away the bipolar disorder).

My question is this - he isn't advocating that I get off the medication (not at all in fact) so should I really care if he is mildly insulting with the whole medication thing? I'm leaning toward no since he has always made sure that I get my medicine on time and reordered as necessary. I guess I am just concerned that if I am ever off the medication (for trying to get pregnant or something) that this will become a problem.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Gary



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 6238
Location: Some pub in England

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he's done questioning the efficacy of said medication can he finish David Foster Wallace's last novel please, 'cos I really miss that guy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trustedfaith



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3366
Location: My own little world...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: srsly, avoid the Paxil, the withdrawal zaps suck Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
I'd say, don't be too down on your doctor, Jen. It's just a good object lesson that doctors are human and that you are your own best advocate when you deal with them. Also, it's probably rare for a non-pediatrician to have someone come in and present with ADHD symptoms, so it's reasonable that it's not the first diagnosis to come to mind.

When I go to my doctor, I always make a list of the things I want to bring up, and I keep my pencil handy to check things off and note what the doctor has to say, because otherwise I'm likely to forget. (I have a mind like a steel trap... door.) And I try to follow the doctor's reasoning, and ask for clarifications when I need them, so I can understand what's going on and develop my own insight and judgment, because nobody cares about my wellbeing the same way I do (or can do as much about it, for that matter).

I think you should feel good that you recognized some suggestions as suspect or inappropriate for you, and that you're being proactive about it. And it sounds like you're doing well on follow through, with the psych appointment, since as those of us with ADD know, the toughest part of doing something is fini


I haven't brought up the ADHD/ADD stuff because I don't want to direct her diagnosis towards something I brought up instead of her telling me what she thinks is going on. I just feel that (not saying she does) a lot of doctors will do that. Gear their diagnosis or treatment to what you have said or mentioned.

At any rate, I love my primary care physician. She's a little flakey, but she has a good heart. She was also my mom's doctor too. My mom liked her as well (funny enough, my mom thought she was a bit flakey too). Smile I don't think she's got any idea. I did think the nicotine suggestion was flakey but at least she's trying to research it.

Thanks for all the help Usagi. You've been so incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it. I know what you mean on trying to fini
_________________
I'm doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10709
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Usagi makes me giggle.

Sooooooo I was talking about my bipolar disorder with my boyfriend. He seems to be of the opinion that now that my mind has been medicated, it knows what not being broken feels like and can hold on to that. So, if I miss my medication for a couple days I should still be able to function (much of this is what I heard - his main point is that I rely too much on the drugs). I think of the bipolar disorder more of a physical ailment with mental symptoms -no medication and my brain melts down: lack of focus, verbal filters shot to hell, depression, mania, etc. I find it insulting that he even approaches the idea that this could all be in my head (the discussion started when I talked about a former friend that asked me if I had even considered praying away the bipolar disorder).

My question is this - he isn't advocating that I get off the medication (not at all in fact) so should I really care if he is mildly insulting with the whole medication thing? I'm leaning toward no since he has always made sure that I get my medicine on time and reordered as necessary. I guess I am just concerned that if I am ever off the medication (for trying to get pregnant or something) that this will become a problem.

Ummm... First, I'm glad you're not buying into it. Mental health is hard enough to hold onto without people playing armchair psychiatrist. I don't know about being offended. Concerned, sure. I mean, he's obviously got no idea what he's talking about. Maybe he needs education? What does he know about it besides what you've told him? Try watching Stephen Fry's documentary, or some other (more medical) resource, to give him a better understanding, maybe. It's hard to know how to react unless you know he should understand that your brain cannot learn to live with a genetic disorder any more than people with sickle cell can learn to make normal blood cells by transfusing enough normal blood into them.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oneponytoruleall



Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3114

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:


Sooooooo I was talking about my bipolar disorder with my boyfriend. He seems to be of the opinion that now that my mind has been medicated, it knows what not being broken feels like and can hold on to that. So, if I miss my medication for a couple days I should still be able to function



That's because the medication is still in your body if you miss a day or two. Not because you don't need the medication.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vox Raucus



Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 1261
Location: At the Hundredth Meridian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dogen said. If he wasn't your boyfriend, what he said could have come off as fairly offensive to anyone dealing with a mental health issue. But it is concerning and sounds like he doesn't understand it - and if you were to go off your medication for an extended period of time (getting pregnant for example) he would need to be *more* understanding and compassionate for what you would be going through than when you're on medication.
_________________
The cat's indifferent or he's just furious, it seems that he's never neither
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sporko



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2891

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: srsly, avoid the Paxil, the withdrawal zaps suck Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
because I don't want to direct her diagnosis towards something I brought up instead of her telling me what she thinks is going on. I just feel that (not saying she does) a lot of doctors will do that. Gear their diagnosis or treatment to what you have said or mentioned.


just a quick comment on this--it's always better to keep open communications with your healthcare provider. if you're wondering about malady X and you bring it up, your physician can either pursue it with you or explain why they don't think that it fits your situation. if you don't bring it up, they will puzzle it out on their own which may take longer and may feel you are trying to manipulate them into a diagnosis. i have seen a ton of people have a diagnosis in mind but be unwilling to suggest it for whatever reason, and these are people that we're suspicious of because they are usually trying to get meds prescribed without trying to look suspicious. so in this situation, especially since ADD meds are so high-risk for abuse, i would bring it up to your physician. some docs will still prescribe adderall/ritalin but a lot of them will refer you to a psychiatrist for testing in order to verify the diagnosis anyway.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9501

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
srsly, avoid the Paxil, the withdrawal zaps suck


BRAIN SHIVERS

I get those from citalopram, but it's at least never really a problem unless I'm an idiot about regularly taking pills
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oneponytoruleall



Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3114

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10223
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends who they are.

Might sound insensitive. Let me explain. If my best friend told me I'd be genuinely concerned. If it was my grandmother, thats a different story.


Last edited by DeD CHiKn on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 688 of 755

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group