welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's a great author.

I have in mind to read his Discworld books in the proper order one of those days...
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't managed to do that, yet. It sounds like a pretty big undertaking.
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, there are more than (takes a quick look at wikipedia) forty books in the discworld series alone Shocked .

The problem is not reading the books, I am quite a fast reader. The problem is that I don't have all of them so first I should go at home, take down from my library all of Terry Pratchett's books and see wich ones I lack, buy them and then start reading...

Maybe I could ask them in my letter to Santa? I think he's the only one who colud do it in my lifetime Smile .
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Ender's Game.
It was okay.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJabawack wrote:

I have in mind to read his Discworld books in the proper order one of those days...

As much as I like Prachett, I disagree with his view on maps, so for that alone I will only ever "like" him. Geography influences human interaction, especially in the discworld series, so the exclusion of maps seems just plain wrong to me. For what it's worth, I found out very recently that my view on maps and storytelling (which I've held for well over twenty years now) is the same view Tolkien had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's maps in a few books, plus a giant map of the discworld sold as a separate book
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Prachett himself was against actual maps (I think I read that in an interview somewhere), and any and all published maps were produced by the publisher and/or fans, none of which were done with his consent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that's true or not, but... You don't have to agree with an author to like the works, that's the beauty of it :)
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, this song is not about sex
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to maps, I'd probably look at a map of the Discworld if the occasion presented itself, but with the way the Discworld works I'm fine with just knowing roughly where most of the places are.

Unless , for example, we are talking about open warfare with military units moving around or similar actions on a really big scale.

Then I'd like to have a detailed map.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the day I die I won't understand the desire to make fantasy more boring than reality itself.
Grammar rules everybody. If we're gonna speak klingon we'll do it right
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
TheJabawack wrote:

As much as I like Prachett, I disagree with his view on maps, so for that alone I will only ever "like" him. Geography influences human interaction, especially in the discworld series, so the exclusion of maps seems just plain wrong to me. For what it's worth, I found out very recently that my view on maps and storytelling (which I've held for well over twenty years now) is the same view Tolkien had.

If you think maps are important to discworld you don't understand how it has formed. Where Tolkien created a world with a sort of autistic attention to detail, Pratchett basically just wrote and didn't care about contradictions because the story is what's important. An accurate map or history or whatever is basically impossible because stuff was put there for humour, not making sense.

Pratchett wasn't writing like Tolkien or George RR Martin. He was making up places and histories and the like for the purposes of making a fun story. Wanting a map for a world which is a flat disc on elephants and a turtle is missing the joke from the start. It's flat out a reference to a time where we didn't have any correct idea about the geography of the world. It's a joke!

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading anything by George Pelecanos atm. Good stuff, but getting tired of the same authorial voice now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a term paper on Jack Kerouac's "On The Road".

2000 words on discussing the spontaneous prose, and how it both exists and doesn't exist in the book. Rather ironic that he wrote it so spontaneously, then spent a solid 6 or so years editing and revising the thing to get it published. He typed the original draft over the course of 3 weeks, on a 120 foot long roll of teletype paper.

Interesting stuff.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I don't know if that's true or not, but... You don't have to agree with an author to like the works, that's the beauty of it Smile

Not for me.

Snorri wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
TheJabawack wrote:

If you think maps are important to discworld you don't understand how it has formed. Where Tolkien created a world with a sort of autistic attention to detail, Pratchett basically just wrote and didn't care about contradictions because the story is what's important. An accurate map or history or whatever is basically impossible because stuff was put there for humour, not making sense.

Pratchett wasn't writing like Tolkien or George RR Martin. He was making up places and histories and the like for the purposes of making a fun story. Wanting a map for a world which is a flat disc on elephants and a turtle is missing the joke from the start. It's flat out a reference to a time where we didn't have any correct idea about the geography of the world. It's a joke!

I disagree. I don't think a map makes it more or less funny, just easier to understand. Personally, I think having different and contradictory maps each volume would have only added to the humor. Hell, having multiple maps per volume based upon feuding factions personal views seems like a missed opportunity to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 228 of 245

Jump to: