welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1126, 1127, 1128 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never wasting someone's time to report someone getting choked. Most people would either not care or assume someone else was taking care of it.
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew answering a simple question could be so hard.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after my last post I got tired and sick of waiting for the police to show up and went to bed after Pissed Off Guy #1 got bored of vandalizing things and wandered off.

Losing faith in 911 services. The guy on the phone was lovely, but it doesn't help much if nobody can even show up within a half hour. We are not a big town. I live literally three blocks away from the police station.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Never knew answering a simple question could be so hard.

thymber
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Losing faith in 911 services. The guy on the phone was lovely, but it doesn't help much if nobody can even show up within a half hour. We are not a big town. I live literally three blocks away from the police station.

When I worked at the mall, years ago, our manager was assaulted in the back of the store and we managed to split them apart. We hit the silent alarm AND called 911. Took the cops an hour to show up. The police station is literally across the street.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm angry and sad.
I haven't been laid in a month and a half because it hurts too bad.
I haven't gone to a martial arts class in over a month. I've not done anything really strenuous in a martial arts class in 6 months. This is slowly driving me insane due to exercise being part of my medication routine.
I'm having a wisdom tooth pulled out tomorrow and everyone tells me that it will suck and I won't be able to do anything for a while (nevermind that I have had a wisdom tooth pulled before and it wasn't that bad but everyone is quite negative).
My boyfriend seems to hate my mom and is being a big baby about helping out my mom move. She certainly can't do it all herself (she had gallbladder surgery just a week or two ago). He doesn't have to like her but he is being a baby about it and it is pissing me off.
Because everything pisses me off right now.
I am sure that he has every reason to be irritable too (no sex is problematic for everyone) but every time I try to cut people some slack, I just get more angry.

tl:dr
So yeah, pity party.

Halen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympathise a little kat, sorry to hear that. Sex is important but it looks like you guys need an open chat every now and then. Hope it works out. Is there an alternative exercise you can do to give you the endorphins you need in the mean time? Alternative to martial arts, rather than the sex :p

My little horror today: My work insists we use Internet Explorer 8. I managed to install chrome frame into it so at least it's not entirely horrible and my gmail works, but now I've had to uninstall that because our rididiculous proprietary project management software breaks if you have chrome frame installed. Even if it's disabled. Yay Iexplore! You're so shit!
Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another little work horror to add: i came to work without my glasses today. forgot them at home, happens once in awhile, but it's usually okay cause i use them for reading. computer screen is blurry so for major text stuff i scoot it closer to my face, heh. i got an email today about compiling references for my boss, and it's of course a 9-page grant with about, eh, 15-20 refs on each page. hurrah. loads and loads of text hunting ensues now.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you change the font size or resolution on your screen, so everything is bigger? in any event, you have my sympathy.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things my lab is working on is a method to get a more accurate understanding of tumors. A clinical cancer lab head visited and was excited about it, and then gave me a call a few weeks later. He couldn't say much because of confidentiality, but it was clear that a cancer patient was having tumor DNA sequenced, and they wanted to use the method to see if some drug target could be identified. I was pretty excited to be able to use the method on a real patient so soon (normally the papers would need to be published, and that would get people interested, so the visit jumpstarted the process by months). The data would be coming right after Thanksgiving, they said. But it turns out the sequencing machine had a glitch and the run failed. They've restarted it but these runs take two weeks. The clinical lab head said "we'll see if we need to analyze the data in two weeks". Kind of puts into perspective how the somewhat normal trials and tribulations of research can have much greater import in a clinical setting. And I'm having some (a lot) of anxiety about getting the link to data in two weeks and racing to finish some analysis wondering if it is in time to maybe help or if an error which would normally make us say "whoops haha" could change someone's outcome.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like cool stuff, dro - and of value whether or not it helps this particular patient (although i hope it does). we have a weekly seminar series that i try to get to - i'm amazed at how much variation there is turning out to be in even a single type of cancer, and what huge implications that has on treatment. it must be so frustrating, now, to have a treatment that works on one patient and not another, and not know if there is some underlying thing that might have explained the difference. sounds like what you are doing could go a long way to helping with that. are you looking at all differences between the tumor genome and the somatic (i guess you could call it) genome? or what, exactly? (or as exactly as you want to say before publication)

hope this run goes perfectly.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna put this in the feminism thread, but it really belongs here. Warning...will make you furious and then sick to your stomach and then want to cry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Was gonna put this in the feminism thread, but it really belongs here. Warning...will make you furious and then sick to your stomach and then want to cry.

okay. man.

fuck it.

Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a breakdown at a party

i left, stormed out, started walking, didn't know where to. passed a hospital where i took a rock, past a canal, over a railway and past a gas station. finally stopped at a roundabout, think i was hoping to leave the city and find some open field, stare at the sky or something. stopped at that roundabout and headed back. was about 4km+ to that point. took some police tape and another rock at that hospital on the way back

nobody cares
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
i just had a breakdown at a party

i left, stormed out, started walking, didn't know where to. passed a hospital where i took a rock, past a canal, over a railway and past a gas station. finally stopped at a roundabout, think i was hoping to leave the city and find some open field, stare at the sky or something. stopped at that roundabout and headed back. was about 4km+ to that point. took some police tape and another rock at that hospital on the way back

nobody cares

Was there a trigger or was it just a big nebulous ball of social anxiety plus ambiguous frustration and anger?

I usually get the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1126, 1127, 1128 ... 1249, 1250, 1251  Next
Page 1127 of 1251

Jump to: