welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 314, 315, 316  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
That is not how justice works.

Sadly the only thing surprising here is that it went to court at all, what with him being both a cop and a rapist.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to be fair to the judge - it sounded like he was just allowing a previous plea agreement to stand; the victim had agreed to it, but later changed her mind when the guy's lawyer mouthed off. the victim agreed because she was assured the guy would never be in a position to victimize someone like that again, and since he not only lost his job, but is barred from getting any other law enforcement or government job, that should be the case.

i don't know. he deserved jail time, rather than just probation - but given the rate of convictions in rape cases, would he have been convicted if it had gone to trial? at least her complaint was taken seriously and investigated. some days, you have to count what progress you can.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I'm not sure what you think I was saying? He commited a horrible crime and walked away from it merely out a job. That is justice fail to me.

Right, because OBVIOUSLY the cop and his "support system" are more important than a girl's dignity, mental well-being, and justice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I'm not sure what you think I was saying? He commited a horrible crime and walked away from it merely out a job. That is justice fail to me.

Sorry, it seems that I made a mistake with my previous post. I left your quote by mistake. I changed my post a couple of times and I forgot to delete your quote.

The "first draft" of my post was just me agreeing with the fact that it was a justice fail.
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, no worries.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather liked this article on why talking about character gender still needs to happen even though everybody kind of wishes it didn't.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting into arguments about feminist articles with my boyfriend. It is starting to piss me off. What is weird is that he is completely supportive of equality in the workplace etc. I don't get it.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give him an account, i will yell at him
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a good friend that is kinda the same story, Las. We just flat out do not agree AT ALL on some things, even though he's all about equality for everyone.

I think, ultimately, it boils down to a misunderstanding of what privilege really is combined with a lot of resentment towards the kind of sweeping generalizations that always happen when you're talking about society on a whole. With extra complications, of course, because nothing about this shit is simple.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides which, it's easy to support gender equality for all when gender equality for all is a big sweeping abstract general thing

it's different when "support gender equality for all" means "stop calling people cunts all the time" or whatever
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a disagreement about the interpretation of feminism - like which tactics to use and all that - or is this 'they should be called equalists lol' style nonsense?
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
besides which, it's easy to support gender equality for all when gender equality for all is a big sweeping abstract general thing

it's different when "support gender equality for all" means "stop calling people cunts all the time" or whatever

yeah, this is why i hate euro-liberals. "equality for everyone (by means of freeee market magic)! wait, gender quota? my rights ;_;"

e: didn't mean to imply that i hate euro-liberals only because of this. there are many, many reasons
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above really. At this point, I'm not even certain what he is arguing about. Every time I try to paraphrase what he said, he says I got it wrong (of course it is the same the other way around too). I don't know. I mean, I make a lot of the decisions around the house, he supports my career, and kids aren't on the radar. His actions in our relationship put us on pretty equal footing (if anything, me above him but I think it is a depression issue) but when this topic comes up he gets all bent out of shape.

For example, Samsally's article - I had him read it and he hated it. However, he thought the last paragraph (the most important one I think) was fantastic.

Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does he say about it, then? I personally don't like it because while I agree that videogames could use a solid dose of feminism, literally 99% of all articles that combine the two are mind-numbingly stupid or awkward. I can't handle all this nerd shit.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, treating you as an equal isn't really the same as him agreeing with you on feminist issues, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that his opinions about it aren't Correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Page 150 of 316

Jump to: