welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012-12-09: Roll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: 2012-12-09: Roll Reply with quote

This tells a lot of story for its lack of words.

Also, the way the last panel bleeds into 16 & 17 works well, plus the look on Pebble's face in 17 is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay for a while now I was concidering a theory/question in my head, about why the Devil allowed Lil E to continue the way he was and hang out with Pebbles, when his spy bots meant he knew everything that was going on with him and Pebbles. Today's strip confirms it. The devil is DELIBERATELY letting them hang out, because he wants his son to get a second chance at growing up happy and ignorant of his devilhood. Sort of 'the life I never had'. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Father of the Year. One might even go so far as saying he made Pebbles especially to be Lil E's playmate, but that would then require an awful lot of knowledge of the future from the Devil. Did he know that if he left her to run rampant, instead of taking her to mould her into an acquiescent slave like the rest of them, that she would invariably meet Seymour and ultimately be preached into the state she's in now? He had to at least have had SOME reason for letting her run free. I suppose theres enough niceifying entities in Sinfestia to make it a pretty safe bet she'd be de-evilled pretty quickly. If it wasn't Seymour then theres still JC & the Buddha and of course the angels and the glitter dust. She may even have encountered Crim and Fyoosh and been shown the way of love of friendship from them. Kinda leaves you wondering all the alternate Pebbles we could have ended up with if those story paths had come to pass. Well I'd say we got the best one anyway Laughing And they're one of the most adorable pairs in the comic. Razz
Holocauxt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr - Big Corporate Shoulders D still cares for his son.
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
sunember123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:
Okay for a while now I was concidering a theory/question in my head, about why the Devil allowed Lil E to continue the way he was and hang out with Pebbles, when his spy bots meant he knew everything that was going on with him and Pebbles. Today's strip confirms it. The devil is DELIBERATELY letting them hang out, because he wants his son to get a second chance at growing up happy and ignorant of his devilhood. Sort of 'the life I never had'. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Father of the Year. One might even go so far as saying he made Pebbles especially to be Lil E's playmate, but that would then require an awful lot of knowledge of the future from the Devil. Did he know that if he left her to run rampant, instead of taking her to mould her into an acquiescent slave like the rest of them, that she would invariably meet Seymour and ultimately be preached into the state she's in now? He had to at least have had SOME reason for letting her run free. I suppose theres enough niceifying entities in Sinfestia to make it a pretty safe bet she'd be de-evilled pretty quickly. If it wasn't Seymour then theres still JC & the Buddha and of course the angels and the glitter dust. She may even have encountered Crim and Fyoosh and been shown the way of love of friendship from them. Kinda leaves you wondering all the alternate Pebbles we could have ended up with if those story paths had come to pass. Well I'd say we got the best one anyway Laughing And they're one of the most adorable pairs in the comic. Razz

I pondered your theory before. Which brings another question in my head: Why couldn't D just live normally with Lil'E and his mom? My theory: God. The God of Sinfestia seems to be very childish, so it's very possible that he believes wrongly there must be some kind of "ultimate evil" to match with his "ultimate goodness". D thought if he were to settle down happily with his child, he'd be disqualified from the role of evil. Then God'd create a being even more evil than him.
Reality zoner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Lil E always fall flat on his face when he jumps down from something?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not exactly well coordinated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:

From Back in September 2011 Shocked
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunember123 wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:

I pondered your theory before. Which brings another question in my head: Why couldn't D just live normally with Lil'E and his mom? My theory: God. The God of Sinfestia seems to be very childish, so it's very possible that he believes wrongly there must be some kind of "ultimate evil" to match with his "ultimate goodness". D thought if he were to settle down happily with his child, he'd be disqualified from the role of evil. Then God'd create a being even more evil than him.

That kind fits with Neil Gaiman's version of Lucifer in his Sandman comics series. There was definately a story where Lucifer quit hell, packed up shop, shipped all the souls out and just retired on some australian beach somewhere. And God plonked two random minions right back in his place who hadn't even done any wrong, just because there 'had to be a hell'. I felt quite sorry for them at the time. Another part of the 'The status quo is the status quo just because' attitude of religions that makes me glad to not have one.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:
sunember123 wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:

That kind fits with Neil Gaiman's version of Lucifer in his Sandman comics series. There was definately a story where Lucifer quit hell, packed up shop, shipped all the souls out and just retired on some australian beach somewhere. And God plonked two random minions right back in his place who hadn't even done any wrong, just because there 'had to be a hell'. I felt quite sorry for them at the time. Another part of the 'The status quo is the status quo just because' attitude of religions that makes me glad to not have one.

All of this assumes, though, that Big D is aware that the Hand of God mandates he take the role of ultimate evil and that he acquiesces to that role for the greater good of Sinfestia -- a strangely humanitarian attitude for D-man to take.

I suspect that, when it comes to his son, even Big D isn't fully aware of his own motives for why he does what he does; he's deeply conflicted within himself, yearning for a son to follow in his footsteps while simultaneously repulsed by the dependency and powerlessness of the child his son is. As such, Big D just follows whatever whim strikes him first whenever Lil E is concerned, without devoting any real thought to the matter. He only reacts to his son, instead of acting parentally.
Jonin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a Punch Clock villain?

Only he's always on the clock.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an arc where Satan discovered that God had created him exactly for the purpose of rebelling and being his counterpart, which causes Satan to quit.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is truly great is that all that Pebbles sees is the grassy hill.

Rule #1 must apply Very Happy
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
There was an arc where Satan discovered that God had created him exactly for the purpose of rebelling and being his counterpart, which causes Satan to quit.

Yeah thats the one I remember reading. And he gives the key to hell to Morpheus/Dream right? It's been a while since I read it so I only remember bits here and there. Confused

This 'doing because I have to/it's expected of me' attitude is sorta backed up in Good Omens too. There the demon is supposed to be doing evil things to bring about the end of the world/apocalypse but is actually working with the angel to keep things balanced so it doesn't come to pass.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, big D wants to be 'better than God', so for him , the desire to be a better father to his son than God was to him (at least form big D's POV) should be in there somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KDX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really interesting dynamic since "technically" the Devil is only evil because the church says so, when in theory, he only has a "different viewpoint." That's not to say that in conventional lore and such, the Devil hasn't done evil things.

But then one might argue that God hasn't been the good guy 100% of the time either. Depending on your take on the various negative things that befell man as a result of God's actions or inactions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: